• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Digital Media, No Lamination

mesheau

Hey All,

Can someone explain to me how they mount unlaminated digital media?

Right now I'm using premask on the printed vinyl but it isn't doing the best of job. Should I just laminate the piece and be done with it? If I try to mount without anything the print distorts and stretches.

Thanks

mesheau

Would apply to anything really, foamcore, coroplast, signboard.

I mask the printed media, and mount by hand to the substrate. I was going to try the laminator, but even that showed some imperfections.

GVP

We apply unlaminated vinyl to substrates all the time, using a laminator. The biggest trick for us (eco-solve inks) is allowing the print to sit overnight - it's just too soft and stretchy when freshly printed.

Mosh

++let it sit at least an hour or two. I use a big squeegie and can easily lay down a whole 48"x96" print by myself.

copythat

Squeegie

We been using Dale's squeegies for mounting vinyl and on occasion, he sells q squeegie designed for lamination. We love it here.

DoubleDiamond

We also mount everything using the laminator and have more difficulty when the ink is to the edge. We found it is best to not laminate for magnetics too, the lamination shrinks causing the mags to curl and then blow off, so we put the mags on pvc scrap, but this vinyl does get thin like and wrinkles easy. We use orocal and started using the 3641 with the gray adhesive and it is a bit thicker feeling and we have less issues. We add more white edge too and this helps. I mean like a margin around the print to handle it and keep the edges further away from the substrate.
Later, Joe

Lauren

We found a 6ml digital media that can be applied easily with rollers/squeegees. It costs a little more than the 3ml media, but it is less expensive than using laminate or even a layer of app tape.

Speedsterbeast

I have one of these.

[video=youtube;q4VUy44nNdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4VUy44nNdI[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

neil_se

+1 for the Ezytaper. We put hundreds of metres through ours a week in mounting and laminating, you don't need a separate motorised laminator.

fresh

We found a 6ml digital media that can be applied easily with rollers/squeegees. It costs a little more than the 3ml media, but it is less expensive than using laminate or even a layer of app tape.

We use General Formulations 223 6 mil material and a big squeegee for almost all of our non-laminated / short term prints. Its so easy to work with, its worth the extra few pennies.

mrugen

Let it Dry

When solvent inks are applied to vinyl, they initially swell like a sponge, then over time they dry and the film will shrink a bit. If that shrinkage is on the liner its not to big a deal, but if on a substrate it can cause curling. Solvents also penetrate the vinyl, like a sponge. This tends to make the vinyl feel even thinner, and very difficult to handle. The amount of ink put on the vinyl during printing is critical. Ink limits should be set properly and that means using a good ICC profile. Even then, the ink must "dry" several hours in a shop at say 70 degrees.

Attached is a great PDF fro 3M, and even though there are no specific notes, it has some great info. Basically, let it dry and use a good profile, don't over ink the print.

Attachments

• Effects of ink on vinyl (3M).pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 261