• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting panels to round posts...

Signsforwhile

We're making 1" thick panels that are 64" tall 48" wide. These were originally to be mounted on square posts without caps.

Got thrown a curve ball this morning. Signs need to be mounted on 3" round posts with attached finnials. Originally thought to just use the round sign comp kit but they are 3 1/4" round and the finnials I can only find in 3"

So how would you attach these. The only thing I can think of is running a fastener from the outside of the post into the side of the panel. But even then I'm not crazy about a fastener head on the outside of the post even though it will be painted.

sign panel.jpg

letterman7

1" x 1/8" angles on all four corners, top and bottom, of the sign, bolted into the posts. The only thing you'll see is part of the angle and the bolt. Paint 'em and be done with it.

rjssigns

Make a square tube frame to go in between the panels. Dado the posts to accept stringers top and bottom. Attach a cleat to each post. Endless variety of ways. Glad I could help.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
My first choice would be ton slot the post from the finial downward equal to the height and depth of the panel. If they ever want to change the panel, they can remove the finials, pull the panel out the top, slide the new one in. That way there are no exposed fasteners. If they don't care about that, then that opens up a number of ways to do it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
By itself, it's too thin for that size in my opinion. Then again, you can use .063" and VHB tape some 3/4" square aluminum tube between the sheets to give it some rigidity.

SignosaurusRex

IMHO......3mm Alupanel, Dibond, etc., whichever brand... is the way to go, especially when you start adding up cost of additional support/framing, etc. Most of the 3mm composite products come with a Matt finish on one side, including black. Keep it simple.

Signsforwhile

Just figured I'd post an update on these as they are out the door tomorrow morning.

Made frames that were short of the panels themselves so they would be hidden and there would room for fastener heads to be hidden. Thought they came out pretty slick.

Pictures:

IMG_20120823_092120.jpg

IMG_20120904_104400.jpg

IMG_20120904_104414.jpg

IMG_20120904_133617.jpg

IMG_20120904_135755.jpg

IMG_20120904_135815.jpg

IMG_20120904_135824.jpg