• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Must have tools for the long term marketing.

Techman

I just returned from a training symposium that featured modules for marketing. There were over 400 business owners in attendance sharing statistics for the past year. One speaker is a leading online presence expert who gave us pages of marketing tools that must be implemented now.

We found that,,,
The statistical fact is most every one that fits my (our) demographics will have a smart phone means that...

All those making over $80 grand a year all had smart phones and never used the yellow pages or read a newspaper. And, had a second phone in ready reserve.

Those making less than $20 grand a year usually did not have a smart phone, did not text as a business technique, nor a had website, and did not know what a QR code was, and all read a newspaper, and at times consulted a yellow page ad. Those in this category that did have a smart phone used it for purposes other than business.

So,,,,

We must have smart phone and we must have a Tablet or Ipad in our tools and learn to market with these devices.
And that we must have our own FREE QR generator.
And we must have a QR code app for our smart phones.
We absolutely must have a mobile device enhanced website.
Do not use a mobile device compatible website.

That we must have a clean face book business page with no personal agenda posted on it. That means to politics or religion, or any personal private life photos etc.

That yellow page and yellow page website usage is so dead that it is a cooked tom turkey.
That newsprint ad usage is in the ambulance on the way to the morgue.

The print ads statistics listed at these meetings is obviously true for me because our fall ad campaign was barely adequate. Where it once was a reasonable expense it is now a dead weight.

That direct mail is still performing if used correctly and well managed.

I saw the numbers with my own eyes. Business owners using traditional belief patterns about advertizing and marketing methods were showing trends with diminishing returns. Owners using the newer trends were showing positive increasing trends.

signswi

None of this is "new" trend and I think you're wildly overstating the importance of QR. It's ugly and people don't really use it. Customers who haven't actually looked at the data and just want in (late) on the trend will buy them from you but it's not really a very good marketing solution.

That said yes print/newspaper has been dead for ages and that goes for the crappy directories the old world companies will try to sell you on. If you don't have a data driven online marketing plan in place already consider hiring a (reputable) agency to set one up for you. Avoid agencies that aren't eating their own dogfood. You're also absolutely on point that the market you want to target is much more sophisticated than the market you want to avoid. A lot of shops get mired in the bad customers and part of that is their market targeting.

If you're approached by yellowbook or whoever get out of the conversation! Spend that money at yext.com and get control over the all the major directories for one benny a year.

Pat Whatley

You know, one of these days you're going to offer this kind of advice on a subscription basis and I'm gonna be the first one to sign up. Everytime you make a marketing post it's dead on accurate and makes perfect sense and it's completely relevant to our industry.

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I think everything you spoke of is spot on, it's only spot on because they tell you it's spot on.

Kinda like 'build it and they will come'.​

If something is said over and over again and again, you will soon begin to believe it to be true, especially if its said with authority and conviction. So, if an assembly of people all buzzing the same buzz words and the same buzz actions, you too will get on board and start spreadin' the news. Heck, if someone or some company has an interest for certain things to move.... what better way to move them, than put down the competition in a positive way and build up your better scenario of good deeds ?? It's a win/win outcome.

Great information. :thankyou:

Techman

None of this is "new" trend and I think you're wildly overstating the importance of QR. It's ugly and people don't really use it. Customers who haven't actually looked at the data and just want in (late) on the trend will buy them from you but it's not really a very good marketing solution.

Sorry but I am afraid you are limiting yourself more than you know. This has nothing to do with "Buying" anything. The QR code is just one small part of the equation. Its usage must be coupled with a complete comprehensive solution that includes all marketing techniques.

A bureaucrat looks for ways to disagree and inhibit ideas. He always has a preconceived notion that limits his progress.
An innovator looks for ways to take advantage of every idea and opportunity.

All one has to do is look at the QR code usage to see just how wrong the naysayers are. QR codes are used at supermarkets to order items. You scan the codes as you shop. When complete you the check out and pick up your items boxed and ready to go. Or in many places the order is delivered to your door.

The real kicker is that you order food items from a poster your smart phone in a remote kiosk on the way home. There are entire supermarkets with a photo and a QR code placed along a wall just 20 ft long. There is no need someone to spend time wandering the isles.

LEts try Mac D's. In some locations you order using your smart phone from a kiosk along your route home. IE: the subway wall. Stop into your local Mc's, flash your phone ID and pick up your order. The bill comes in on your phone statement.

Those in the know understand that our time is important. Anyone with any business savvy will understand this and develop plans that appeal to quick and easy. Anything done to remove a wait in a line will win. Waiting in a line is a death line.

This weekend I ordered breakfast from a QR menu on the way to the food court. I got there it was ready and waiting.

The uninformed will continue to naysay and fall behind. Others will become fully informed and be ahead game. That is the facts.

I have 11 pages of notes concerning QR code usage and another 40 pages of notes covering online marketing. All of them cover techniques other than just an advertisement.

Sorry but a QR code is not the ugly fad that some think it is. A well used code will save us money in hundreds of ways other than just an advertising gimmick.

Now here is the scene. Take it for what its worth...
There are not all that many doing these things. There very few in our industry doing any of these things. But, in the online case the sooner you get there the better. Why? because we should be building networks that must extend over a wide area. Those who come along later may never build the network to compete.

Oh yes,

Don't listen to me. I know nothing at all of which I speak. I am just a country boy trying to do good.

Just read this site that was given during our training sessions.
http://www.flyteblog.com/flyte/2011/03/50-count-em-50-creative-uses-of-qr-codes.html

I also forgot... There is no need to pay for some subscription site (yext com) . All the stuff is FREE.

signswi

Clearly you're defensive but you really should look at the conversion numbers on actual in the field QR campaigns. It's nice that you think they're the "next big thing" but they've been the "current thing" for years and failed in real use cases as the ROI is so low when you compare costs (time is a cost btw) to conversions.

QR is a transition technology and it's already old, you aren't "in the now" if you're only getting on the QR train in late '11. Near field is eating QR's lunch in conversion testing as it is one less step and doesn't require knowledge that the ugly robot square is something to point your phone at--after you download an app to read it.

The yext reference was in relation to print directories, not in reference to the QR conversation. Your defensive response is confusing two separate marketing conversations (reality to digital conversion and geolocal sem).

Gene@mpls

R.E. QR codes- I did four delivery vans (small cubes) for a auto recycler-
one Mon - one Tues etc. I talked them into QR codes. By Thursday before
they got the 4th truck back they were calling thanking us because they
were getting so many hits off the trucks. Gene

Sticky Signs

Although I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what the OP is saying, I find some of this info does not relate to me and my business at all. Somedays I think that selling cookie cutter items would be great but the fact is, I'm in the business of providing custom solutions for each and every job. No two are alike. They may be similar, but there's always a "custom" element to every job I do. IE - artwork, size, material, install location, etc.

Here's what I think about the bullet points you made. this may or may not be useful to others.

I do agree that just about everybody has a smartphone nowadays BUT not everybody knows how to use them. For a lot of people, it's still just a phone.

Tablets and ipads (I don't have one) are probably great marketing devices provided they are used correctly. If for nothing but the "wow" factor for those that are less savvy than others.

At this point, I see no need for a QR thingy when it comes to my business other than maybe to direct someone to my website. Again, this relates to the "custom" business thing. BTW, I find that my website is nothing more than an on-line portfolio. Again, that's just me.

I do agree that a website should be viewable on a mobile. Not sure if it should be optimized for a mobile but viewable none the less. Personally, I prefer to surf the net on my comp and not my phone. Unless I have no other choice that is.

I do not have a facebook page nor do I want one. If I did though, yes it would be clean and free of personal BS.

I agree with the yellow pages and news print statement. I own about 4 or 5 phone books that do nothing but take up space. I don't read newspapers either. Again, that's a personal choice on my part.

I have yet to advertise in 4 years of being in business so I can't really comment on newsprint advertising. However I will say that my business has almost tripled since last year and that is solely relying on word of mouth and referrals. Hell, I don't even have a sign of my own. LOL!

Obviously the marketing techniques you've mentioned are working for others. I just don't think they jive with what I'm doing.

Thanks for sharing though. Good post.

Locals Find!

Clearly you're defensive but you really should look at the conversion numbers on actual in the field QR campaigns. It's nice that you think they're the "next big thing" but they've been the "current thing" for years and failed in real use cases as the ROI is so low when you compare costs (time is a cost btw) to conversions.

QR is a transition technology and it's already old, you aren't "in the now" if you're only getting on the QR train in late '11. Near field is eating QR's lunch in conversion testing as it is one less step and doesn't require knowledge that the ugly robot square is something to point your phone at--after you download an app to read it.

The yext reference was in relation to print directories, not in reference to the QR conversation. Your defensive response is confusing two separate marketing conversations (reality to digital conversion and geolocal sem).

I looked into that near field technology its about 5-10 years away from being of any kind of main stream use. The phone manufacturers are very slow to add the technology onto the handsets and most of the handsets available with the technology are in European markets. Might be nice to dream but, having to be within 20 centimeters is going to rule it out for many uses.

Whereas I can print QR codes on vehicle magnets and have my customers get hits off of them in traffic.

Techman

Some will find this info useful and some will diss it and some will be indifferent.
Nothing to do with being defensive. It has every thing to do with the facts. Some will read what was posted and act on it. Others will diss it as meaningless.

Clearly I really do not give a hoot one way or another whether any one appreciates this info or not. This post was about several points including smart phones, tablets, online presence and marketing all of which was discussed over 3 days in a business and marketing training seminar.

Obviously some have not grasped the concepts of the post. In fact talking about the conversion rates of a QR code is very telling. Read up above and see how those codes are used right now today. And scanning at less than 20 centimeters? HAH. I saw demo's of them being scanned at distances measured in yards. I tested a device that scanned at a distance of footage. So please do not talk about limitations of past technology.

As for near field.. it is not eating QR's lunch. They are two different animals.

Lets talk about how we can adapt all of which was mentioned above and make our business lives better.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I make a real nice living in internet marketing for their new division for a fortune 10 company and offer other marketing consulting, and soon to enter the sign business.

While I appreciate all the great information that yall have posted. But this is where I shine.

For someone to compare your advertising to, I 45 Signs, I have seen his #s of visits and he is kicking butt here in Houston on visitors to his site.

The key to marketing is a mix of media. Knowing where people are searching and then proportionately dispersing your advertising budget based on the traffic.
You need to also understand the function of that media. Promotional, Search, Sponsorship, Vanity. <<< Lots of this crap out there, then they get tainted attitudes towards advertising.

Can you tell me what your cost of customer acquisition is per each media and per each publisher with in those media?

This is all possible for a small company to track, on any advertising budget

The biggest mistake I see made is not keeping in touch with your current client base.

What are you doing new? F coupons and promotions. (That helps) What are you doing to call, email, do you say howdy to your clients?

Why are large companies always all over multiple medias? People forget about you.

Internet marketing is growing. Google is now pushing their ZMOT Zero Moment of Truth, some of yall might know the First moment of Truth.

People are looking for reviews on every product made now, period. You may say you do not, great then are you also your biggest client?

Smart phones make up over 35% of the mobile market. Google expects mobile searching to exceed land line searchers in 10 years. Low income clients have more smart phones than computers. Fact.

What may be seen as a failure in 1 industry is not representative of another or even company to company.

Content, Customer Service, Customer Interaction/Follow up, Then Pretty Pictures is the format to follow. ( Budgets limit your ability to do everything, but then again are you trying to make everyone a customer?)

"Focus on what you do well and find other people who can complete complimenting services to your business who are experts in their field and you will come out further ahead.", said a business man who can afford $30,000 hunting trips to me 8 years ago.

But yes Techman good info to share. My next tip, go to a search engine look for yourself, if you are not Dominating 2-3 pages of search results you need help ASAP. But go in and make sure everywhere you name pops up that your website and business info are listed and up to date.

Good night gang.

visual800

One thing I've learned lately is Noone makes plans anymore or allows time for things to be done, they wake up one day realize they need something and expect it to be there, I choose not to participate in this game, it's very stressful

As I can appreicate the "New Order" of doing things I'm gonna go forth and say this technology does not apply to me and what I offer. If anything, I'm trying to get away from these "I NEED IT NOW" idiots I already get. We are NOT a instant gratitude business. It takes time to create and install. I get enough of the corporate do it now or we will go somewhere else BS from some clients. What percentage of your clients come at you with a deadline. How the hell can you come to me and tell me what you want and then have the balls to give me a deadline on it.

I see this service above as cool but I have no interest in it. I do not wish to be affiliated with being "scanned" if you will but it does sound like the greatest thing to other people these days.