• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh new ink disaster

Just do what I did, buy a Roland! I gave up with my Mutoh when I realized I was spending a ton of money repairing it and losing customers. I hit a point where I decided that I either had to buy a new printer or close down the printing end of my business. So my new Roland is in and prints excellent!
In the past 4-5 months I have replaced 4 print heads, 2 capping stations and went through a of of ink and material on my Mutoh. It's just not worth it after a certain amount of time.

g1sammons

Stealth
your nuts thinking that the outdoors are outdated
there are thousands of them still in service
could you imagine paying 20 k for a car and and haveing some jack leg
tell you its outdated in 3 years what a crack of crap !!!!
the dating has never been a issue if it was that far out there why is mutoh still making inks for them?????
ITS REALLY THAT SIMPLE!!!!
ITS ALL ABOUT SUPORT
AND MUTOH IS JUST NOT SUPORTING WHAT THEY ARE SELLING!!!!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"crack of crap !!!!"
:help
That's new.

I have to agree that in today's economy things need to stay in service a while longer than they used to.

My 1992 Toyota truck (pushing 200k miles) is still current enough technology (for me) to get to work and most job sites on a 30 x 5 mile island.

wayne k
guam usa

Newbie_on

Stealth
the dating has never been a issue if it was that far out there why is mutoh still making inks for them?????
ITS ALL ABOUT SUPORT

Hey guy,

You need to compare Apples to Apples, The Car and Printer Industry are totally different.
The FO Printer are a modified version of the old RJ-6000 water based printers, they added heaters , heads for Ecosolvent inks and some other hardware modifications. Anyway it's been almost 10 years I am surprised that Mutoh still provide support and parts for this unit.

It is not about the lack of support, it is just technology growing too fast!!

You can call Roland and ask for help for a PC-60 or PC-600 and they are going to laugh at you. Call Microsoft and ask for support on W2000 or XP.

As you stated there are thousands of units still printing, I do not think all of them are having the same issue.

I used to have and old Ford Taurus 5 year old and had nothing but problems, I ended up selling it and got another car.

Just my 2¢

g1sammons

Thats great Newbie
it really doesnt matter what they based the outdoor off from
and its really not about how old the machine is
i never had any issues with the machine personally i think they are a good printer
but i didnt buy the inks 3 years ago
my pointe is mutohs suport on this ink issue sucks
and if you provide bad support it doen not matter how good of a printer they make
what would ya do if you vj started banding and the prints sucks so bed you rcustomers
would not except them
you replace the heads maint- station dampers ect and it still does it
so you replace your ink lines on the advice of tech support
still not fixed so we fall back to maybie bad dampers from the old dampers so we replace them again welll maybie we just might have gotten a bad head so we replace them again
please dont forget all the time this is going on your customers are getting very angry
at least the few you still have !
anyhow back to the outdated printer
how bout a second capping because maybie just maybie the first was bad
well its gotta be something says tech support so lets try the cartage holder
hmmmm this goes on and on and on plus the media and ink you have wasted in hte last several weaks !!!
and then ya find out that your ink cartages dont seat proper and there causing an ink starvation problem and the manufacture knew of the problem the hole time you were forking out the money to try and fix it then to make it more fun they refuse to own any of it! even know theres a new cartage to replace the bad cartages!!
my fix was simple i straped a piece of hardwood flooring across the back of the cartages
to hold them tight and i was back to work!!
if you have noticed theres no free cartage replacement no sorry for the problem
nothing at all !!!!
im not angry with them for having the issue because every body and everything is not perfect but a little info from them would have saved me and alot of other people alot of problems and money
and to make it worse when i ask my fellers repp about new cartages his reply was that mutoh wants us to use the bad up first so they dont have to eat the cost !!!!!
hmmmmm
sounds like the printer is out dated !!!!

g1sammons

ohh by the way
all the fixes were from tech suport from where i bought the printer
they didnt even know of the problem thanks to the great mutoh suport!!!

i didnt blind side this myself
everytime i replace something it was on the advise of tech suport!!!!
they dont want to get into the middle so i have not mentioned there name
tho i feel they did a great job at least the best they could do with the info they had

Wraps ink

very similar story to mine....we just started buying the valuejet inks and am running on CMYK only what a headache this has been....I say we all take our mutohs to the next sign show set up a booth beside mutoh and show everyone just how great mutoh is....I have a whole stock pile of wasted materials..i mean whole rolls!!! and wasted inks on top of that my new and improved maint.station is spewing ink all inside my machine and i cant get a return phone call or email from mutoh!!

g1sammons

finally got the new cartages
yello does not fit into the holder
made one print 2 day ago everything looked great till the next morning
the c {blue} had run all over the floor and pushed all the ink out of the line
hope this was a fluke not the norm
sure there tech support will tell me that i have a bad maint station though
i have replaced it with a lder cartage and the problem gone but had to get the piece of wood back out to hold the cartages tight again
also only the blue drained not the black and lm wich makes me think it was a cartage problem instead of a maint station and the fack the second cartage has not done it
at least not yet

Stealth Ryder

Stealth
ITS ALL ABOUT SUPORT

No, Not Nut's... Smart enough to know when I am throwing good money away... If you are not happy with what you have and feel like you are wasting money then by all means you should explore other options... That is just plain ole Common Sense...

g1sammons

stealth
it took me a few to figure out who you are
this isnt a common sense issue

good old common sinse tells ya that if one's service sucks than that it doesnt matter how great that vj series printer is u keep tring to sell when having issues what what you
sold three years ago
i guess when those vj are three years old your gona bail on them too!!!!
and i bet yall wernt telling every one tree year ago when they were buying these printer that there suppport was going to drop off because these things are out of date!!!
and if there so out of date why does almost every sign supply house carry inks parts ect
for them
im starting to think this is more than a mutoh support issue
i dont see alot of other tech guys from other sign supply houses hanging out trying to blame a cartage problem on everything but what it is
when they know what the problem is
you know for a fact that the issues we have been having with these printers is not from a o-ring or dampers or ink lines heads ect
it's the cartages!! why do yall have to play these games ? dont ya know you loose more in the long run doing your customers this way
because ill do all i can to at least change the direction of any one who looking at a vj printer not because i think its a bad printer because in three years your gona tell them
some kind of crap instead of being honest with them on issues they might be having with there printers
i have a friend with a 6 year old roland still works with it everyday
not because the printer is perfect but because she got great support and her supplier
works with her through problems they have !!!
she has had plenty of issues ith her printer but never the kinds of issues with her suport that we have been having
the more crap you post fighting your old customers on here just makes my point even stronger!!!!
makes us go the other direction when we need supply's
and you loose more in printer sales because we talk about the kind of crap that we go thru

CheapVehicleWrap

Well it looks like Randya is more interested in the "fixing the budget" thread than helping out here. Probably following orders from his superiors. Would you expect anything else?

g1sammons

ya know for all the roland bashing i cant fond any post like these in the roland section!!!!
think that says alot about roland and there suport they give there customers
think thats where im heading im gona at least check them out
think iv had enough of the mutoh crap!!

kffernandez

after reading through the posts in this thread, i think the users just wants their printer to work. and has been willing to pay for the parts that needs replacing along with the corresponding service fees. the tone hasn't been all that ideal, but you can't help but sympathize with that frustration of spending a fortune, and still being right where you started.

i personally feel that it doesn't matter how old your machine is. if there are still original parts available, and there is official technical support that you can get from the manufacturer. then your machine should still have all the necessary ingredients to work as good as it did when you got it brand new.

the problem starts if the machine had manufacturing/design defects in the first place... or as these users claim - had it's original components/design changed.

kelly

randya

Well it looks like Randya is more interested in the "fixing the budget" thread than helping out here. Probably following orders from his superiors. Would you expect anything else?

Yes, I am interested in 'fixing the budget', and NO there have been no 'orders from my superiors'

And what are your expectations of free advice from a forum?
I try and provide the best advice and information that I can.

I believe that you all have been in contact with Mutoh Customer Service, of which I used to belong to, but no longer do. As my duties have changed, I no longer have daily or regular interface with these kind of issues. While I do try and check in, the most current information comes from Customer Service.

As always, I try and help when I can.

2 things to note:
Only a small number of customers are reporting the issue you have.
Mutoh has been unable to recreate the issue you have in house, even though they have modified some capping stations to try and help aleviate the rapid cap swelling being reported.

As I have stated before, Mutoh announced a change in cartridges for legacy systems and these have had some issues, these have been addressed and are in the system, and it may take a while before these are all filtered through. I am confident that the problems have been resolved.

I understand that Mutoh has been swapping out carts for those having issues.

So, these are being handled through Customer Service.
I continue to try and help those that I can, when I can.

I am sorry, that you are dissatified, and I have gone to Service on many occasions to make sure that they are aware of your issue and understand that they have had conversations with you about these issues.

Do you feel that there is something else I can do for you?

Last edited:

g1sammons

Randya
thanx for your help that you have provided
personally i dont think i have a issue with you personally
however i think that you know that mutoh knows that there has been
a pretty big problem with the cartages every supply house i know of knows of the problem!
but never has any one offered to replace the many faulty cartages or any of the wasted supply's parts ect thats not just me but many many people have lost because of this problem

i have not been working with mutoh rather signwarehouse where i bought my printer
wich is where i have gotten much of the advice try to solve the problems i have faced with this issue
when i ask about replacing the faulty cartages i was told my printer was no longer under warrenty !!!
thats not cool when its not my printer that was the issue!
by far and large my biggest issue is that we could have used info long befor mutoh even would admit there was an issue
i spent alot of money trying to solve the problem replaced everything sw tech ask
with no results
had someone spoke up with some simple info on what was causing the ink starvation issue at least i could have focused on those issues but instead i feel like they just bailed on us

i have my printer working well now
however tried the new cartages and had a ink drain problem with one
dont know if it was a fluke or what
also i think when ya replace dampers ect and you sugest that they still maybe the issue
rather than the know faulty cartages wich have been causing the same issues it makes it look llike your trying to hide something!
i would have at least though that ya might sugest replacing the cartage or the wedge trick so many others have gone to
we are not looking for magic rather suport for the equipment and supply's yall sell!
instead we get a load of crap about how out of date these printer are and how we need to bail and goto the new vj
i know that hasnt come from you personally but from others on here
but also i dont feel the most of the fruatation was directed at you personally!
any how thats how i see it
so tell me where im wrong
im not just talking im listening also
thanx

randya

g1sammons,

Thank you for your kindness.

Yes, Mutoh realizes that there has been a problem with the new carts.
It was not an immediate realization, and the difficulty has been sorting out which reported problems are due to the new carts.

IF we knew that ink starvation was related to the new carts, that info would have been released and the problem addressed.

The ink starvation issue is another one that we have been unable to reproduce in house with these cars, and is normally not related to carts but to dampers, o-rings and other issues, and still doesnt make sense that it is cart caused, not saying that it isn't in some cases, but it certainly isn't in most cases and doesnt appear to be directly linked at this point.

It becomes difficult to own a problem, when you can't reproduce it on purpose, when it doesnt happen across the board, and it happens in cases where we dont have control of how it is being used.

Because these are in legacy printers with no chipped carts, people use a variety of inks, a variety of cleaning solutions and have a wide variety of environmental conditions, all that can lead to the same problem.

It would be similar if you got a report or two about banners that you printed having the ink wash off with water. You print a banner in house, and put a bit of water on it and the ink doesnt wash off, your customer comes back to you and says your banners are the problem, yet you cant wash the ink off with water yourself. So you put a banner up and put a garden sprinkler on it and none of the ink washes off, you know solvent will wash it off and you know banners fade, but the customer insists that it is your banner. Do you issue a blanket recall of all your banners? Probably not, but you sure become aware that there is something going on and you check what you are doing, you probably even try to help those whose banners are washing off with water, but it still doest mean that your banners are the source of that particular problem. It doenst mean that that customer didnt get a bad banner from you, it is just hard to rationalize.

I too am sorry that you are having issues, it is never good for business, Mutoh wants all its customers to be printing and making money, enough money to upgrade their printers periodically. People like you are how we make money to pay our mortgages, buy food and be able to enjoy life, so we want (need) satisfied customers. There is nothing constant except change, so when a manufacturer changes a part and that part looks different it is easy to assume that any problem that occurs after that change is responsible for that problem, sometimes it is, sometimes not. That is what we strive to work with our customers to determine.

Again, ink starvation is a known maintenance issue (dampers) that every printer with dampers can expect to run into at some time.
So it is not unusual to see in older printers.

Some have reported this being related to the carts not seating on the needle correctly and leaking. This should generate air bubbles in the ink lines, of which I dont believe people are seeing.

So most of these reports are don't fit the logic of basic troubleshooting.

There have been fit issues with the carts.
As soon as Mutoh realized that there were issues with the carts, modifications were requested and put into place and an announcement was made to Service techs for dealers and service support providers. We all want to resolve problems.

The difficulty is identifying which problems are directly related to the cart design.
That become difficult when only a small number of users are reporting problems that are normally due to other causes.

Had everyone or even a majority who got the carts has nozzle drop outs, it would have been easy, but that has been far from reality, ito my knowledge.

You are correct that your first contact is Signwarehouse, however I would suggest that if you have bad carts and they cannot replace them for you to contact Mutoh Customer Service and request replacements.

thank you and good luck!

CheapVehicleWrap

Randy,

"People like you are how we make money to pay our mortgages, buy food and be able to enjoy life, so we want (need) satisfied customers."

It's nice to hear that SOMEONE at Mutoh realizes this AND that it's all on the line.

I recently spoke with a high ranking Fellers Manager and She was certain nobody at Fellers has heard of the ink problem. Ever.

Some here have gone through HEADS in VERY short periods of time as well as countless other issues all pointing back to INK.

May I make a few suggestions to your Techs who have been trying to reproduce this ink starvation issue? Have they inserted pieces of angled wood, carboard and plastic to "prop" up the cartridges so many have been instructed to do? How about a pole on your site with user viewable results concerning the ink problems?

I imagine Mutoh has gone through hell over the last 6 months over these issues (even denying them is a HUGE job by itself). If much more time passes, I would suggest stocking up on canned goods and updating your resume because it's no secret they've already lost many valuable customers forever.

Wraps ink

Rand, the problem is MUTOH DOESNT CARE!! I have called and left messages with the service tech manager about the new maint. stations you guys had calgraph install ...the wiper doesnt retract all the way and is slinging ink all on the inside of both my printers..and I have sent pictures and its been 2 months and no one has returned a call or email....We have been using the valuejet inks and it completely fixes the ink problem...we didnt need new dampers..new motherboards....new pumps....just the original inks....

so when we figure all this out...what does mutoh do?
they change the VJ inks to try and prohibit exchanging the chip card on the side by covering it up with a decal and warning labels....WHY CANT YOU GUYS LEAVE STUFF ALONE...MY PRINTERS WERE FINE 6 MONTHS AGO AND NOW ITS SO HARD TO GET PANELS TO MATCH UP OR COLORS....NEXT TIME I HAVE A WRAP TO DO IM GONNA LET A MUTOH REP COME AND PRINT THE JOB FOR ME AND HAVE TO REPRINT PANELS BECAUSE THE COLORS CHANGE!!!!!!

What mutoh doesnt understand is they are messing with peoples income and businesses I
have lost customers beacuse of mutoh...and they could care less.....I WILL NEVER BUY A MUTOH PRINTER AGAIN...AND THERE ARE MORE THAN JUST A HANDFULL OF US...YOU KEEP SAYING THAT ..BUT EVERYDAY ON THIS BOARD THERE IS A NEW PERSON WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS...THIS ISNT GONNA JUST GO AWAY...WHY DONT YOU GUYS MAN UP TO YOUR MISTAKES AND MAKE IT RIGHT

andy

What's so hard about employing a couple of experienced sign makers and giving them access to the latest equipment and revised ink formulas?

If Mutoh want to avoid these expensive and damaging c0ck ups the solution is pretty simple..... scrape the cr@p out of a corner of your warehouse, install a set of test machines and have experienced sign people run through every permutation of ink/ media so you can build up a library of factually correct information.

Before issuing new ink formulas into the market you have your in house sign makers test them... extensively. If they work then you have all the data to prove it... if they don't your customers will never find out because you've dodged the bullet and have never released an ink formula you know doesn't work in real life conditions.

The one and only time I ventured into large format print was over 15 years ago.... I'm amazed that manufacturers are still repeating the same mistakes. I hated the way the service engineers and reps used me as a live guinea pig... I'd discover some flaw in their machinery or media and they'd say "thanks, we'll add it to the next edition of the user manual".

If you want to sell expensive machinery to the sign trade it's not unreasonable to ask that your testing is thorough and professional... printing 6" squares on a few scraps of material isn't good enough.

This problem is not limited to Mutoh.... Roland would have never ever released the PC-60 if they'd have bothered to test theses machines properly using proper sign makers.

randya

andy,

Every product we release is tested and beta tested.
We have been collecting the anecdotal evidence from the field and trying to reproduce it.
As I have stated, we have been unable to reproduce in house, a number of problems being reported.

And as far as leading edge or bleeding edge technology, yes Windows 7 finally does what Windows 98 proported to do.
And no, there still are no perfect printers, it is still leading edge technology, but they are much, MUCH less expensive and easier to use.

Last edited: