Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Mutoh VJ 1204 Head Reolacement

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Bradley Shackleford, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Bradley Shackleford

Bradley Shackleford New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi Team,

I have reached the last resort of coming to a head replacement for my Mutoh 1204. Maintenance station has been replaced, performed at least 20 Head soaks along with head cleanings, and still missing an entire black channel.

I am looking for the best place to purchase the Head from as the local company near me wants 2800 just for the Head and 80 per damper.

Is there anything special about replacing the Head? Programming? Alignments? Tricks or thing I wish I had known?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags:
  2. Pitzu

Pitzu Member

May 2, 2018
    Romania
    I've changed printheads in Mutoh Valuejet printers and all I had to do was to enter the head rank numbers. The alignments remained perfect.
    Just make sure you take a picture of the sticker that has the head rank number before you install the printhead.
    You can also remove the sticker from the printhead and place it on the carriage, so it can always be visible (but make a picture first, it's safer).
    You can find all about entering the head rank here: https://signs101.com/threads/mutoh-vj1604-head-rank-number-help.68143/
    Also, use a cloth when removing the dampers, you'll have some ink coming out from them. It's better to avoid ink coming in contact with the head cables and you keep everything clean.

3. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks! You have been a great help and making this repair will save me over 2 grand!

4. Pitzu

Pitzu Member

May 2, 2018
    Romania
    As always, before you start servicing the printer, unplug the printer from the mains and push the power ON button to eliminate any remaining electricity,

5. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks! Would you recommend SolventInkJets as the supplier as a trusted source for the head?

6. Pitzu

Pitzu Member

May 2, 2018
    Romania
    I haven't had the opportunity to work with them. They have a very good technical support, that's for sure.

7. VanderJ

VanderJ Merchant Member - Printer Parts and Sevice

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Hi Bradley, We have been in business for over 10 years and have 1000's of satisfied customers. One of our biggest advantages is that we are located in Denver, CO so you can have the part as quick as tomorrow and you can always get a hold of us during normal business hours. We have also been a merchant member on Signs101 for many years. Feel free to call in if you have any questions!

8. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks! That’s what I have been seeing! Are the parts OEM?

9. VanderJ

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    We have a mix of OEM and non-OEM depending on the part. All heads are OEM and most PCBs and Motors as well. All of the non-OEM parts are tested in the field by us personally so we only sell what we know works.

10. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Awesome! Do you have service techs in Raleigh NC?

11. VanderJ

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Unfortunately not anymore. Most of our customers work on their own machines and we only do tech work in the Colorado area. We do work with a few independent techs around the country but our guy in NC retired a few years back.

12. BAD NOVA

BAD NOVA Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Alliance Ohio
    Brad,
    when you say you did a head soak how did you do that?
    thanks Brian

13. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey! I plugged the drain lines from
    the capping station and filled with cleaning solution and placed head over it for 24 hours. Then performed a strong cleaning with no results.

14. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Everyone,

Update. I got the printhead from Solvent Inkjets, and I replaced the included dampers. Needless to say.....everything is WORKING like a champ now!!! Thanks, everyone for all of your help!

• Like Like x 2
  15. BAD NOVA

BAD NOVA Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Alliance Ohio
    Did u do it yourself? How difficult was it?

16. Bradley Shackleford

Jun 24, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    I did do it myself. It was fairly easy, the hard part for me was worrying about me screwing up the 1800 head.

The dampers unscrewed, and the head just pops right in. I just took my time and didnt rush it.