• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new baby.

Vinylman

AHHH!

Apple® envy.:notworthy:

Such a sad situation.:loveya:

Attachments

• AppleLogo.jpg
    AppleLogo.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 98

choucove

Great computer there! The Envy 17 is a great horespower lappy in a small form and quality construction. I've been looking at the Envy notebooks for some time now, and I'm thrilled to see that HP is offering high build-quality notebooks in their consumer lines now, where this was one of their biggest areas of complaints in the past is poor structure and build quality. Normally, to get solid build quality you have to jump into the highest line of the business mobile workstations, but HP is bringing that now to the consumer lines. May I ask what specs you have with that Envy 17?

iSign

Hey Joe, Great computer, but lets talk about me for a while.

:goodpost:

lookin' good Joe...
but not half as good as what is sure to be produced on that machine..

that is where the true source of envy should come...

folks probably shouldn't spout the "get's ya here to there" theory if they've never even been "there" themselves...

Joe Diaz

Great computer there! The Envy 17 is a great horespower lappy in a small form and quality construction. I've been looking at the Envy notebooks for some time now, and I'm thrilled to see that HP is offering high build-quality notebooks in their consumer lines now, where this was one of their biggest areas of complaints in the past is poor structure and build quality. Normally, to get solid build quality you have to jump into the highest line of the business mobile workstations, but HP is bringing that now to the consumer lines. May I ask what specs you have with that Envy 17?

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics
17.3" diagonal Full HD HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED Display (1920x1080)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
HP TrueVision HD Webcam
Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
Corel(R) PaintShop Photo(TM) Pro X3 + Corel(R) VideoStudio(R) Pro X3
Full-size island-style backlit keyboard
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
$1! SAVE NOW!! Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)

Yeah, the quality is there for sure. However, I personally have had good luck with HP anyway. Like I said earlier, my old laptop was an HP too. It has gotten me through 6 years with no issues and it still works fine. That played a huge role in why I got an HP this time around.

A little history about the Envy: The HP Envy used to be the VoodooPC Envy. If you aren't familiar with VoodooPC, they were extremely high end gaming PC's. Expensive too. HP bought out VoodooPC and are still making the Envys, but now at a much more reasonable price.

I also looked at a Sony VAIO F series, a Dell Studio XPS 16, and like I said earlier, I even considered a MacBook Pro 17. I just couldn't justify spending almost twice as much for a less powerful machine, that I would have to run windows on anyway, because alot of the software I use isn't available on OSX... Just so that I can have a "a TOTALLY RAD case that has an Apple® on the front!!":rolleyes:

choucove

Sounds like a pretty powerful configuration you have there! I also have had good luck with my HP laptop personally, it has been running well for four years and even when I bought it it was just a simple cheaper laptop. I have my own computer repair service in my town and though I have worked on several Gateways, a couple Asers, and more Dells than you can count, I have yet to work on a single HP laptop with hardware problems.

My best friend actually owns an original VoodooPC Envy laptop that he bought five years ago. The thing still runs great! A couple years after purchase it had an overheating issue but that was due to how he had left it running, not a fault of the hardware itself. They replaced and returned it without any issues and again it is still running today.

Joe Diaz

did it come with a clear hard drove or did it come with a load of trial softs?

Not any trialware other than the 15 month Norton subscription that I bought for a buck. Although I wouldn't call that a trial really. I picked out a few Corel products that I wanted installed, Roxio DVD burning software a control center for the ATI graphics card and a Free Microsoft Office Suite came loaded. All stuff that I will use.

It also came with HP media smart, which I was playing around with last night. I'm not sure if I'll get much use out of that.

But all things considered, it didn't come with near the bloatware that I've seen come on other systems.

It came ready to go out of the box. The documentation, drivers and utilities were all contained on a 2GB SD card.

One thing that is kind of cool is that it has it's own "instant on" WebOS that if you choose to activate it, boots up like 2 seconds after you hit the power button. It has it's own browser, email program, picture, video and music player. In the bottom corner there is a button that will boot Win7 if you want to exit the webOS, or if you don't press anything for 15 seconds it will boot win7 automatically. Or you can simply not turn it on.

choucove

Instant OS have become pretty popular with a lot of different companies lately, and is usually built as ROM directly on the motherboard of the computer. Dell also has a similar linux-based instant OS, though I have heard from some that it is lacking in even the basic functions that other manufacturers have in their instant OSes. I have built numerous systems using ASUS motherboards, which also have an instant OS built into the motherboard, but it is something that I have yet to ever use.