• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My special offer for Dec 2 thru Dec 8, 2020 “Listen Better”

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
If you have a sign-making team working with you as colleagues or employees, then you have a wonderful opportunity to continuously improve your listening skills and the listening skills of each team member. You will immediately notice better productivity, fewer mistakes, more camaraderie, more rapport, and everything working more smoothly.
Remember, listening skills do not improve on their own. And, old habits are not easy to change. Listening better can be done, one small step at a time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there a secret as to how to listen, Robert ?? You're making it sound as though it's hard to do and one needs a lotta practice to listen properly. Are there routines you can use to rehearse listening ?? Where can you take a test or how do you find out if it's working or not.... or if you must changes your style ?? I mean, traditionally, one listens by shutting up and thinking about everything being said. However, if the person talking just goes on for an endless amount of time..... besides becoming bored, ya forget what he/she said in the beginning and then it's your own fault for not butting in and asking questions along the way. How's that work ??

edit: or is that what you're charging $45 to learn ?? When to shut up, turn off or walk away ??

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Is there a secret as to how to listen, Robert ?? You're making it sound as though it's hard to do and one needs a lotta practice to listen properly. Are there routines you can use to rehearse listening ?? Where can you take a test or how do you find out if it's working or not.... or if you must changes your style ?? I mean, traditionally, one listens by shutting up and thinking about everything being said. However, if the person talking just goes on for an endless amount of time..... besides becoming bored, ya forget what he/she said in the beginning and then it's your own fault for not butting in and asking questions along the way. How's that work ??

edit: or is that what you're charging $45 to learn ?? When to shut up, turn off or walk away ??
Gino Thank you for your questions. The quick answer is to deliberately decide to listen intently. That sounds easy but seldom is easy. Clearing your mind to fully listen is no easy task, especially in a busy sign shop. Yet, it can be done if you are properly prepared.
So, what I am focusing on is preparing to listen, much as you prepare your tools and work area to start a sign making project.
Often, your listening prep time is measured in seconds. So yes, there are "routines" to "rehearse."
The best test to see if you are listening is to ask the speaker for their permission to summarize back to them what you are hearing. "Let me see if understand. Okay?" Hold on to that for a second. One of the best things to say before that is, "I am interested. Is there more you would like me to know?" Keep asking that kind of question until you sense the other person has dug deep into their thinking. Yes, it may take a few minutes to get to that level. Is it worth it? Bonus. It builds trust and rapport. It establishes a connection like nothing else can do. Plus, great listening is a gift that has become very rare.
Then again, when you summarize, don't be surprised to hear, "Where in the world did you get that from. That is not what I am trying to say."
On the topic of "becoming bored," as your listening improves, you will be better able to discern if and when the conversation needs to pivot. Sometimes there are tiny nuggets of pure gold buried in the conversation. With better listening, you can politely interrupt and pivot to that nugget. Then, sometimes it is best just to hold up your hand as a stop sign. Better listening works well on both great conversations and not so great.
More on "asking questions along the way." It is too easy to slant your question in the way that you want it answered. To avoid the slanted question, I partner with sign makers to develop their own unbiased questions. Then we practice, rehearse them. Yes, I charge $49. Guaranteed results or no charge. And that is for as many sessions as it takes to help you become quite comfortable with better listening.
Old habits are not one bit easy to change. Indeed, you started listening before you were born. Furthermore, there are no classes in school on listening skills.
As I see it, sign makers with better listening skills will have a greater market share.
Well, Gino, I hope I answered your questions. Check it. Let me see if I understand, okay?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Gino Thank you for your questions. The quick answer is to deliberately decide to listen intently. That sounds easy but seldom is easy. Clearing your mind to fully listen is no easy task, especially in a busy sign shop. Yet, it can be done if you are properly prepared.
So, what I am focusing on is preparing to listen, much as you prepare your tools and work area to start a sign making project.
Often, your listening prep time is measured in seconds. So yes, there are "routines" to "rehearse."
The best test to see if you are listening is to ask the speaker for their permission to summarize back to them what you are hearing. "Let me see if understand. Okay?" Hold on to that for a second. One of the best things to say before that is, "I am interested. Is there more you would like me to know?" Keep asking that kind of question until you sense the other person has dug deep into their thinking. Yes, it may take a few minutes to get to that level. Is it worth it? Bonus. It builds trust and rapport. It establishes a connection like nothing else can do. Plus, great listening is a gift that has become very rare.
Then again, when you summarize, don't be surprised to hear, "Where in the world did you get that from. That is not what I am trying to say."
On the topic of "becoming bored," as your listening improves, you will be better able to discern if and when the conversation needs to pivot. Sometimes there are tiny nuggets of pure gold buried in the conversation. With better listening, you can politely interrupt and pivot to that nugget. Then, sometimes it is best just to hold up your hand as a stop sign. Better listening works well on both great conversations and not so great.
More on "asking questions along the way." It is too easy to slant your question in the way that you want it answered. To avoid the slanted question, I partner with sign makers to develop their own unbiased questions. Then we practice, rehearse them. Yes, I charge $49. Guaranteed results or no charge. And that is for as many sessions as it takes to help you become quite comfortable with better listening.
Old habits are not one bit easy to change. Indeed, you started listening before you were born. Furthermore, there are no classes in school on listening skills.
As I see it, sign makers with better listening skills will have a greater market share.
Well, Gino, I hope I answered your questions. Check it. Let me see if I understand, okay?
I hate when people repeat back to me what I said. I feel like they are too stupid to understand it the first time and need to play it back to themselves. It wastes my time. A good sales rep will do their homework and will have solutions for you without having to put you through a 30 minute interview.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for answering my questions. That was so good of you. But wow, I fell asleep reading this last night. I'll take a stab at it later, when I get into work. Lotta information here. See ya later.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thank you for answering my questions. That was so good of you. But wow, I fell asleep reading this last night. I'll take a stab at it later, when I get into work. Lotta information here. See ya later.

Wild West is good to read right before bed... puts me right out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oops................

Okay Robert...... I think I catch your drift, so-to-speak. If I may do it here in the open, as you have requested me not to contact in the back room any longer........:notworthy:

Robert, did you ever think about taking notes or even using a tape recorder ?? All cell phones contain them, ya know.
When someone comes into the shop, the first thing I do is write down their name, phone number, company name and keep an open mind. Yes, I listen and take notes, sometimes doodling/thumbnails while they talk. It helps to be capable of doing 2 or 3 things at once. However, to do that, you must be sure, you are not making mistakes. Every so often, you stop and ask if we're still on the same page and you go back over some key points. If I'm at their location, the only difference is I'll have a clipboard, but the question and answers thing is still pretty much the same.

No classes on listening ?? That's what 1st grade til 12th grade is all about..... LISTENING and paying attention. Learning. In college, they don't care. The only good listeners I have come across are funeral directors. They listen to your last wishes and put them in motion, but you don't have a say anymore anyways, so what's it matter ??

I hope you realize that humans are not set up to listen and not participate in any fashion. If while I'm talking to someone and mention the word elephant, they immediately picture an elephant and go off on a tangent for a second or two. The more words you use, the more people visualize in their heads what you're talking about, so we're not wired to just listen and collect facts. It's impossible without constant interaction. It's called conversation. Not a lecture. But even at that, at a lecture one takes notes, they don't just sit and listen. When you're in school, college or anywhere, you take notes and as soon as you have a question, you raise your hand. You don't wait til the lecture is over or ask, let me see if I have this straight.

Great listening can be very helpful, but not as much as knowing what you are doing and able to direct any conversation which has to do with you and your business. If someone must verbally explain a whole order to you, they must be nuts, not to have it down in writing in the first place. Who comes ill-prepared to a meeting with no notes ?? Only a tire kicker or someone totally out to waste your time.

So, in ending this, listening is not a good call for business, unless you're talking about a scene between you and your spouse. That's when you need to listen or at least look interested without a blank look on your face or it'll get smacked off while you're daydreaming. A business deal be it an introduction, fact finding or quoting session, you need to collect your facts and do it in a timely manner. You do not let the customer ramble and control you and your time with usually mondain worthless drivel.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's what I was wondering too.

...He did that too fast to have actually read anything.

Black Star

Not A New Member
So, who the heck is Black Star and what's up their bung hole ?? :popcorn:
You are a troll. If you don't like Robert Armerding's posts, you don't have to be a jerk. You started posting on this thread only to be an ass. He pays this site to make posts whether you want his services or not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You are a troll. If you don't like Robert Armerding's posts, you don't have to be a jerk. You started posting on this thread only to be an ***. He pays this site to make posts whether you want his services or not.

And you aren't ??

Calling people names without any reason or basis, is just plain rude and disrespectful. You being arrogant with an attitude just goes along with your treating others with sarcasm and condescension and seems to be your MO, lately. Ahh, quite a few people have commented exactly the same.

Everyone, including Robert, knows he is a paying Merchant Member. However, he does seem to have a problem getting his point or agenda out there. I've done nothing but try to pull it out of him. I've tried here on the boards and behind closed doors. We've had both good and bad conversations, but one thing remains...... we both respect each other. It's hard for me to believe you are following me and handing out "dislikes" like candy to me and are only worried about Robert's pocketbook. No, you are someone who is hiding and trying to make a point. Mind you a very weak point, but in your head, it must have some meaning. Believe me, you'll slip up sooner or later.

Oh..... and thanks for your part in derailing Robert's thread. You seem very concerned for his welfare. :confused: