• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a floor graphic for indoors that will hold up to automated robotic forklift traffic?!

victor bogdanov

These are giant red blocks with "DO NOT STAND" written on them in white. 60"x36" size. It's a legal/insurance requirement. They literally have to be where the robot-path is in order to comply with the requirement.
Use whatever paint they paint roadways/mark parking lots with. Maybe have to roughen up the smooth concrete first ?

1.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, but that's for multicolor rapid installs, where you don't have time to let paint dry. Granted a warehouse with automated forklifts sounds like an expensive operation to shut down while paint dries...
I say make a stencil and use some oil based paint, then give them a rate to redo every 6 months. Retain the stencils, and just pop in there twice a year to refresh the stencils.
That or get with a concrete finisher to see about whatever process they use to etch polished concrete. Not sure if color is an option, but that is part of the concrete, and not likely to go anywhere with traffic.

victor bogdanov

Yeah, but that's for multicolor rapid installs, where you don't have time to let paint dry. Granted a warehouse with automated forklifts sounds like an expensive operation to shut down while paint dries...
I say make a stencil and use some oil based paint, then give them a rate to redo every 6 months. Retain the stencils, and just pop in there twice a year to refresh the stencils.
That or get with a concrete finisher to see about whatever process they use to etch polished concrete. Not sure if color is an option, but that is part of the concrete, and not likely to go anywhere with traffic.
Let paint dry once for an hour instead of replacing graphics every 6 months

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's not what vinyl you put down on the floor, it's what you put over it. Shrug, I kind of like the previously proposed projector idea. I do admit to some doubts as to being able to project an acceptable image. Perhaps you could rout out a circle say 1/4" deep on the floor. The put the logo on the back of a 1/4" circle of poly or acrylic or whatever. The drop the plastic circle into the hole. Change it when it wears out.

JBurton

Signtologist
Let paint dry once for an hour instead of replacing graphics every 6 months
That's what I meant, except assuming the paint would still chip up over time.
I do admit to some doubts as to being able to project an acceptable image.
I was pretty impressed with one that went up down the road from us, it projects into the foyer with minimal ambient light around it. If I'm around here after dark I'll try to snag a pic. The projector is at least 8' from the wall.

petepaz

you want to sub print on .020 or .030 polycarbonate/lexan and mount a 3m adhesive to the back so it will stick. we do a job for amazon, its a printed square floor graphic with a QR code that a robot rides along and reads. tells them what's on the shelf.
we have done two runs so far for them so it's holding up

JBurton

Signtologist
you want to sub print on .020 or .030 polycarbonate/lexan and mount a 3m adhesive

I could see this working, up until some hooman worker comes through dragging their feet and lifts an edge just enough that the robots tear it up from there.

petepaz

I could see this working, up until some hooman worker comes through dragging their feet and lifts an edge just enough that the robots tear it up from there.
like already mentioned there really isn't anything that is going to be indestructible but this holds up pretty good. (well we haven't gotten any complaints ...yet?)

netsol

It's not what vinyl you put down on the floor, it's what you put over it. Shrug, I kind of like the previously proposed projector idea. I do admit to some doubts as to being able to project an acceptable image. Perhaps you could rout out a circle say 1/4" deep on the floor. The put the logo on the back of a 1/4" circle of poly or acrylic or whatever. The drop the plastic circle into the hole. Change it when it wears out.
it's going to wear out pretty f**king quickly with automated forklift traffic

netsol

because i see what forklift traffic does to concrete WITHOUT floor graphics.
it just isn't possible that something capable of standing up to that sort of abuse can be cut buy a computerized xacto knife.

do you have any experience with environments with that kind of traffic?

netsol

your could apply diamondclear, (they will sell it for self install) but, it is not rated for forklift traffic.

i believe only diamondhard holds up to that sort of abuse.

if pete says he has had success installing for amazon, i am impressed, ( we have seen the traffic in an amazon warehouse.) his suggestion would probably be the way to go.

JBurton

Signtologist
it just isn't possible that something capable of standing up to that sort of abuse can be cut buy a computerized xacto knife.
Bob's plan was to have the film under a piece of acrylic or poly, which will not be cut with a plotter, but presumably a router. It could work, aside from the force of the plastic into the vinyl into the concrete causing some marring over time, and inevitably it will crack where fastened down.

Nicholedene

you want to sub print on .020 or .030 polycarbonate/lexan and mount a 3m adhesive to the back so it will stick. we do a job for amazon, its a printed square floor graphic with a QR code that a robot rides along and reads. tells them what's on the shelf.
we have done two runs so far for them so it's holding up
That's interesting. Thank you for the idea.

Nicholedene

The OP just disappeared. Do they really want a solution??
Yah, sorry about that. I assumed signs101 would email me or something if people responded. They didn't. I happened to think of this and log in two weeks later and there were a million responses. I'm here.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yah, sorry about that. I assumed signs101 would email me or something if people responded. They didn't. I happened to think of this and log in two weeks later and there were a million responses. I'm here.
It can be hit or miss, I consistently get notifications when someone likes a dirty joke I make, but it's not as consistent at informing me that someone posted on a thread I started.