• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice from one of you experts please.

JWM

Hi i am looking to get my first printer for vehicle wraps and I have a 6000 budget. Now obviously I am going to have to get a used one and hope to hell its reliable. I will of course have a tech look at what ever i buy before i buy it. MY question is under that budget restriction what printer would be the best to look for. I have seen some HP 8000s fall into that price range as well as some older model Mimaki or Roland brands. I also have seen on Ebay that i can get a brand new Vinyl Express printer. Any advice you guys have on printers would be helpful. Is the Express a good model? After all new does sound good. I wish i could get an HP newer style because their heads are a lot less money and they dry real fast. I already have worked lining up and unfortunately having to look for a printer in a price range is never easy. Unless of course your not in the market then they are everywhere. Thanks

Locals Find!

Sub contract more work till you have more cash & buy new. You will be much better off long term then buying someone else's used machine.

JWM

That would be great but my credit is not good.

Unfortunately my home went from 890k to 500k in about a year and a half so my credit has taken a hit so i not to sure they will finance me. I know with a car it is no problem if you put down enough money after all they just repossess it. I could buy a printer out right but would jeopardize my starting capital so not liking that idea. Just trying to get out of the worst industry in the world right now "Construction"

JWM

Yep i put aside money for a cold laminate machine. So i am aware of that as well thanks. Nobody knows about the Vinyl Express machine? Thanks

mopar691

Go to north dakota, they cant get enought contractors there. I know family members working at Taco Bell making 20+ a hour in the western side of the state. Others are just commuting for 2 weeks at a go for either building or working on the rigs. Major money to be had in that area for the next 8 years.

SignManiac

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are about to enter another hard industry. It's cut throat in this business and even harder if you don't have a graphics background. What design software are you planning on using? Is your computer powerful enough to handle large graphic files? This isn't even the tip of the ice berg. You might be best to sit down and come up with a business plan to help you decide if this is a good business choice.

I realize it's a really easy business to get into. But not an easy one to succeed at.

JWM

My experience is in marketing

That is true i have put together a business plan and I have more work then I can handle. Sales in Marketing has been my job in the construction industry so getting work is easy for me. I probably will be wrapping at least 20 to 30 vehicles a month so I have done my investigation into the industry and I like what i see. In my area there are no hustlers. You know the type who put up a sign and expect people to come in with crisp 100 dollar bills. SO I like my chances.

njshorts

I'd wait until you can buy a new machine, personally... too many bad experiences with used. You're going to have enough of a learning curve with the machine, different materials, colors, etc. without introducing repair/maintenance of a machine that you have no immediate knowledge of it's history. If you choose to sub-out until you own a machine, feel free to e-mail us for contract pricing- we're merchant members based out of Tampa.

petesign

Sell vehicle wraps, sub out the printing to a merchant member until you can

1. Justify buying the new machine.
2. Afford it.

Buying a printer is a BAD idea unless you are capable of running it on a consistent basis. Also, --- what they said... don't forget the $6000 laminator, the cost of vehicle wrap vinyl and laminate. That stuff isn't cheap either.

Have you ever wrapped a car? If not, prepare yourself. It isn't easy. Since you are here with a $6k budget and haven't thought about laminators, vinyl costs, etc.. my guess would be no.

*edit* looking at your last post.... since you think you can sell 20-30 wraps a month - talk to a local shop, and sell them for them and make commission... I personally would love to see you sell, design, print, laminate, and wrap 20 cars in a month... set up a webcam... please.

Locals Find!

Well, I stand by my advice of sub-contract your work until you have more cash. It will allow you to keep your start up costs lower without a huge financial risk factor.

There are plenty of really good merchant members on here that can fill just about any need you may have. Which will allow you to bank the cash and spend time learning the trade. You might end up buying a used printer just to find out your business goes in a whole other direction you never even saw coming.

JWM

I have a guy

Who has been doing the wrap and design. Although I have a lot of experience in designing ad campaigns. I am using bad wraps and Photo shop. The guy who is wrapping for me says it takes a guy around a month before he is good to go as far as wrapping on his own.

TheSnowman

You may want to see what the other people around South Florida are pricing their wraps at per sq ft. From what I remember reading that market is crazy over saturated, and everyone is wrapping for just barely above what it cost them to print it. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but from a guy who bought a business that already existed 25 years, 20-30 wraps a month seems crazy high for jumping in w/o already existing w/ a client base.

Just don't want you to be overshooting what the real situation is. I can tell you this...I own a printer, and anything big that I need printed, I sub out. It costs me the same as if I did it in house, and I have a 100% chance of not messing up the print. Takes the pressure off of me, and allows me to work on other stuff till the UPS man shows up.

If I had discovered this place before I bought the printer, I wouldn't have even bought it.

JWM

Petesign

My budget for printer is 6000 i have 1500-2000 set aside for a cold laminator Used. As for vinyl and inks etc all in the budget.

CS-SignSupply

I hope you have budgeted in for the stock of materials you are going to need for 20-30 vehicles a month. That will take some cash.

My advise, keep outsourcing until you can fund a new unit with warranty and a service contract. Buying used is fine if you have repair experience and budget. Most used units will require $500 - $2000 to get up to speed and in good shape.

An entry level laminator will run you a few thousand new. The software involved, another few grand. The list goes on...

Seeing as you have a business plan in place, I am taking for granted you have budgeted for these things as well.

But... $6000 for a printer more than likely will not be enough for a reliable unit that will give you a year or two of service and give you enough speed to process 20-30 vehicles a month reliably (unless you print all night at times).... $10 minimum is my estimate. I have a 54" Roland SC-540EX Pro II now that is for sale and and have a small bidding war on my hands that has driven the cost up to $11,200. Great machine, but has some age on it. Supposed to close on it Thursday.

Wish you luck on your new plan and venture.

JWM

I checked into contracting

I looked at farming out the printing but its about double the price or printing it myself. Thats the problem. If you have a wrap that you get 2000 for which is average i guess. You losing hundreds of dollars just seems wasteful.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Buy a used HP-5500 and instead of targeting vehicle wraps, target tradeshow graphics or backlit signage or even canvas. You can get a good machine for under your budget and you can make great money going after the right application but with what you have stated your going to set yourself up to fail if you go target wraps.

Locals Find!

I looked at farming out the printing but its about double the price or printing it myself. Thats the problem. If you have a wrap that you get 2000 for which is average i guess. You losing hundreds of dollars just seems wasteful.

Your NOT factoring in labor & time if you saying subbing out will cost you double. I sub-out 100% of my work and I can tell you that, I can't run a printer for the cost I pay to sub out work.

Really, check out the merchant members on here have them quote you some jobs. You can't compete with the savings these guys bring to the table by buying materials & ink in bulk.