• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice from one of you experts please.

petesign

JWM, I wish you the best of luck, I really do. I don't want to see anyone fail in life, it just surprises me how many people think they are going to go into this business wrapping cars and succeed. I want you to take this word of advice I am giving you seriously, because I mean it from the heart.

I started my own company 2 years ago with enough capital to buy a new printer, laminator (bought a $2,000 job due to my ignorance and it was a TERRIBLE decision) and cutter, as well as computer, software, etc. I spent over $25,000 in equipment alone. I have one of the best production workers I ever saw, he has been working with vinyl over 15 years and can make it do things I doubt I will ever be able to do. My expertise (cough, cough) is sitting in the computer chair and making what I hope are things nice enough to entice people to move on the job when they see their mockups.

I EASILY work 60-70 hours a week, and struggle for every job I land. I am currently treading water, and my legs are getting tired. I have a baby on the way, and about 6 months to figure out how to either charge more for signs and wraps, etc... or make them a LOT faster. This business is not a get rich quick kind of business, it is a labor of love, and takes a long time to build up a good client base who will keep your cashflow moving through typical slow months like July and December. Your overhead doesn't stop during those months.. neither do payroll taxes, etc. I love what I do and sacrifice a lot for the dream of someday making a decent living at it.. so pardon me if I take a slight offense to someone coming in here with a "business model" and $6000 to buy a printer thinking he will be able to undercut all of the other idiots in his area who put up a sign and think people will flock to them for business.

I am a member of my chamber of commerce, network groups, etc. I also have a dedicated salesperson who attends these meetings and talks to general contractors who put up buildings. We have a bucket truck, we put up channel letters, gemini plaques, we never say no to a job... and let me tell you, NONE of it is easy.

I have been in business going after wraps for 2 years... want to know how many cars I have wrapped? Two... My bids are always too high... want to know why? Because they aren't worth the effort it takes to design them, print them, wait two days and laminate them.. take the cars halfway apart, wrap them, and put them back together .. etc... it stops everything in my shop for nearly a week just to wrap one car.. If someone wanted to rent my shop, my printer, and my people for a week, it would sure as heck cost them a lot more than the profit I make from wrapping one car.

Just food for thought. Go to work for a wrapping shop, watch how much labor is involved in wrapping one the right way, and make an educated decision... it's like me asking a contractor about which hammer to buy because i have $20 and want to build houses.

Best of luck to you, buy a 54" or larger printer.. and take good care of it.

HulkSmash

That is true i have put together a business plan and I have more work then I can handle. Sales in Marketing has been my job in the construction industry so getting work is easy for me. I probably will be wrapping at least 20 to 30 vehicles a month so I have done my investigation into the industry and I like what i see. In my area there are no hustlers. You know the type who put up a sign and expect people to come in with crisp 100 dollar bills. SO I like my chances.

sigh.........

So you're going to be doing 1 wrap a day, on top of all the other crap - banners, decals, signs.. etc?

Which means you'll need a a staff of about 7+ people to run printers/ install/ design/ accounts.

oh yeah, and you'll need more then 5,000k sqft.
not to mention about 10,000 worth of inventory of wrap material/cut vinyl in stock, always.

also, if you're doing 30 wraps a month, plan on getting more then one printer.
oh yeah, for wraps, you're going to want a lam with heat assist, or you'll
have some pretty serious silvering in your lamination.

Doing that many wraps, a lot of them will have die cuts, so you will also want a mini lam JUST for masking.

Also, do you know how to wrap? This isnt wall paper you're installing...:rolleyes:

oh yeah, you're also going to need about 3k in design software, and another 2-3 in a decent rip for the printer.

oh yeah, and 2-3 computers. 30 wraps a month? Better get 3 designers who can design as well.

Not trying to drive you away, i just want you to know what you're getting yourself into.

GOOD LUCK

JWM

What is the cost per square foot for printing because I have checked with two companies and for me to do my own printing and with ink for a ford explorer i am looking at around 450 dollars with ink and vinyl and laminate. When i figured farming it out it was over 700.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of raining on this guy's parade..... I'm just gonna butt in here for a moment and ask him how he expects to do 30 vehicle wraps in a month... or even 20 with no experience, no software, no equipment and not a single paid deposit ??

Not to mention, without any knowledge up front on how to lay down vinyl... how he expects to become proficient in a month to doing the wraps himself ??

Without any insight of the business, do you really want to open yourself to yet another failing business only to jump ship again within 6 months like the construction industry ??

If you can't handle something you claim to know a lot about and are quite efficient in it and yet you can't fix it.... why on earth would you jump from the frying pan into the fire ?? :covereyes:

You make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sorry and welcome to :signs101: from PA............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is the cost per square foot for printing because I have checked with two companies and for me to do my own printing and with ink for a ford explorer i am looking at around 450 dollars with ink and vinyl and laminate. When i figured farming it out it was over 700.

Well, he either lied to you, he's using low-grade everything or he's yanking your chain.... cause that ain't possible for a professional shop. A hack..... yes, but not a professional. So..... which are you gonna be ??

JWM

All i am doing is vehicle wraps nothing else. OF course i will wrap buildings as well but not the other stuff. All my research has told me a vehicle can be wrapped in one day. So i feel pretty comfortable with that. A lot of my inventory concerns i have a lot of dealers who have inventory in stock. But i have heard cold laminated is suitable.

HulkSmash

But i have heard cold laminated is suitable.

If you already know, why are you asking us? :rolleyes:
Jesus christ, Heat assist will be your best friend when you're laminating.
unless you like silvering in your lam, get it.

All my research has told me a vehicle can be wrapped in one day. So i feel pretty comfortable with that.

Your research needs to be shot. Seriously.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Buy a used HP-5500 and instead of targeting vehicle wraps, target tradeshow graphics or backlit signage or even canvas. You can get a good machine for under your budget and you can make great money going after the right application but with what you have stated your going to set yourself up to fail if you go target wraps.

x2

Locals Find!

All i am doing is vehicle wraps nothing else. OF course i will wrap buildings as well but not the other stuff. All my research has told me a vehicle can be wrapped in one day. So i feel pretty comfortable with that. A lot of my inventory concerns i have a lot of dealers who have inventory in stock. But i have heard cold laminated is suitable.

You might be able to physically wrap a job in one day. However, you still gotta find the job to quote, close the sale, collect a deposit, design the job, print the job, then wait a day and laminate, then your finally ready to prep the vehicle then finally wrap it.

Last time I checked there was only 24 hours in a day and businesses are only open 8-5 so when did you plan on having time to eat and sleep during the month??

Circleville Signs

Another guy who thinks thus biz is easy....He obviously isn't interested in reality. So, here's a post with what he wants to hear...

Man! You are AWESOME! Let me tell you what no one else will. Wraps are super easy to do, and so profitable that to might as well bs printing the cash! Oh yeah - just look around online man! I'm sure youcan find an Oce Arizona used for around $3500 or so! Lamination? Who gives a crap!!! You can just print it and then once you lay it on the car you can just spray it with Frog Juice!

All these naysayers telling you the business is hard must be retarded! EVERY single potential client you talk to is gonna want to wrap their whole fleet! And if they don't have a fleet, they are gonna go buy one just so you can wrap them all!

[/sarcasm]

JWM

I have a guy who is working with me who has this background. I wont be wrapping any vehicles myself. He was telling me the thirty day info as to let me know how long it would take him to get another guy up to speed and competent. With his overseeing i am sure.

JWM

Meaning your the only person in the 20 i have talked too who said that i needed a heated laminator. SO excuse me for not thinking if you say it, it must be true. Since the other 20 said COLD>

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get real, man. No one here believes you any more. The jig is up and you're not fooling anyone. You can keep entertaining us, but no one comes on here or any other place for that fact and spills the beans about credit ratings and house worth and not expect to be taken seriously.

Your figures are way off and you already know all the answers, so why do this to yourself, man ??

Why is it, some people just like to stir chit up ?? :rolleyes:

JWM

Your NOT factoring in labor & time if you saying subbing out will cost you double. I sub-out 100% of my work and I can tell you that, I can't run a printer for the cost I pay to sub out work.

Really, check out the merchant members on here have them quote you some jobs. You can't compete with the savings these guys bring to the table by buying materials & ink in bulk.

Adtechia are you saying that you buy the vinyl and laminate and send it to a printer to print. Because i had talked to members and they said they only charged by the foot and they included all materials.

Circleville Signs

Listen hoss,

I don't know you. You may he a great guy. Gonna let you in on a secret. Adam (coloradosigns) has one of the more successful wrap based shops you're gonna find anywhere. He's trying to help you. You come in here asking for advice and you are getting it from people who have done this for a LONG time. Hell, Gino has been making signs since 1893!

You don't want advice. You want validation of your preconceived notions. As I told another person recently - go buy your equipment. Call me in 6 months when you need to sell it again.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
JWM,
what you are laying out is unrealistic & highly unlikely, but not impossible.
Advice from experts:

"Never in history has the navy landed an army at the planned time and place. But if you land us anywhere within 50 miles of Fedela and within 1 week of D-Day. I'll go ahead and win."
Major General George Patton - November 1942 (Commenting of the North Africa Landings)

"Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely"
General Dwight Eisenhower - 6th June 1944

”Let the indomitable spirit of Bataan and Coregidor lead on…In the name of your sacred dead, strike! Let no heart be faint. Let every arm be steeled.”
General Douglas MacArthur – On the beach at Palo, broadcasting his return – 24th October 1944

go get' em

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

Listen hoss,

I don't know you. You may he a great guy. Gonna let you in on a secret. Adam (coloradosigns) has one of the more successful wrap based shops you're gonna find anywhere.

Jeez, don't make my head any bigger. Thanks for the compliments. But there's shops on this fourms who are more successful then me when it comes to wraps.

But in all reality, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

You want to get a cold laminator? By all means - get one. After you do 1 wrap, and your customer is unhappy because there's streaking all through his lam., and doesn't feel like leaving his car out in the sun for a week to let it disappear, then you'll realize i was right. You need a HEAT ASSIST lam.

i'm not here to bash you, just help you be more realistic. I don't want you to fail, which is why im trying to help. I promise you, you wont do 30 wraps a month. I promise you, mark my words, first year (if you last that long) you will do about 3-4 wraps a month.. TOP.. if that.

I don't think you understand the overhead involved in wraps..and you really need to.

how about you move to denver, and ill hire you as a sales rep. I bet you'll make more money then trying to start up your own business.

JWM

Funny I haven't been nasty to anyone just asked some advice and even when it might not have been rosy still did not say anything bad just tried to answer each question honestly as to what i have been told. I guess Vinyl supply houses like Proveer and Fellers dont know how much ink or vinyl they use to wrap cars are morons. Maybe so, you guys might know better but at least i am listening to what you have to say and not trying to be rude. I am sure it is a tough business I don't know any that aren't, sales is what i have done my whole life and i know it sucks out there. Maybe I wont do 30 wraps a month, maybe not even 5 but i can tell you this i will never let myself get so jaded about the business that I would lash out at a noob. For those who were simply giving me constructive advice, I thank you it was greatly appreciated. Good luck to you all I hope your businesses will return lots of $$$ for your efforts.