• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help getting a used Mimaki UCJV300 running again

HGdesign

I hope you are all doing well. I am starting to consider the pros/cons of replacing my LcLmWW setup with Cl Cl WW.
- Main reasons are in order to be able to add tone on tone effects selectively using matte & gloss
- Secondary reason is to for occasional metallic foil applications
Questions:
- Am I giving up any noticeable benefits losing the LcLm? I am assuming it will hurt some color range, but do not have a first hand example of how much of a gamut loss it would be.
- Are there any cons to having clear, for example does it clog more, or cause print head issues, etc.?
- Will the printer FORCE me to perform certain fluting and cleaning steps for the switch to clears?
- For example, can I simply drop in the Clear bottles, and let the old pigments rinse out slowly over time, or do I HAVE to perform certain steps before the machine will allow the new clears to run?
- I have control of most of the projects that run on the machine, so if I get some color tints in the clear for some time, I think I can live with that and would rather keep the priocesss simple, and avoid major waste of inks, or time and possibly mess of performing flushes if I can avoid it
- If there is are easy ways to get close to clean swap, say 90-95% clean without too much waste or hassle I would consider that
- Any specific settings I must change on the machine before it will allow me to put the clear ink chips in?
- And any tips on what specific techniques and settings I would need to do post print foiling on partially cured inks? If you guys have done this and found it to be high quality results, or is it not really worth doing in terms of getting clean polished accuracy on the foiling
Thank you so much as always for all your guidance!

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Ok, time to knock these out.
Gloss/Matte selectability is a great reason to add clear to color set.
UV ink in general is good for metallics
Losing Lc/Lm will result in a slight loss of color gamut, yes.
Clear ink is ink without pigment, less likely to clog, especially compared to white ink.
Not sure what fluting is, but a flush is highly recommended. Clear ink will be tinted color of last inks otherwise. At the very least, flush bottle tanks with alcohol to do quick and dirty.
Will have to change ink set, not hard, just somewhat time consuming.
Tuning media takes time, test and adjust is usually required.