• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new and need help with printer

ABCDecals

ABCDe-Cals
Hi, i am new to Signs 101. I am a small business with a heat press and 24" cutter, I have been in business since 2003.

First of all, Hello to everyone.

Second, It is time for me to upgrade. I want a printer, but i have limited funds. found a couple for signwarehouse and Vinyl Signs Supplies. But they are too much for me to spend right now. I figured to start with used and then I can go bigger.

I got my eye on a Roland Color Camm PC 600. I have heard allot of good and bad about this, but with my limited money I think this will work for me.

I want a printer / cutter in one, Is there any out there that has 1 for under $2200?

also i never printed before, i use Flexi Sign Pro 7, is there a way to take a picture and get a cut line around a certain part of the picture with out doing it by hand?

thanks
Kevin
www.abcdecals.com

Bill Modzel

The bad stuff you've read, believe it and run. There's a reason you can find them cheap.
Look for a used Gerber Edge if you think you need thermal transfer or look for a smaller solvent inkjet.

Flame

For under $2200? Sorry, you won't find a machine of any quality for around that price, even used. I'd suggest save your money for the right equipment, and until then... outsource your printing to a wholesale printer.

The PC600's are a nightmare. Don't even go near them.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.
You may want to outsource the printing until you can get better acquainted with the process and to see what the demand is like in your area. It will also give you more time to look around for a printer that best fits the area that you are in and the kind of work you will be doing. By outsourcing you will be able to provide prints for the different needs.

Getting a used printer without experience and low funds is a recipe for disaster.

The pictures are set up in the software with a cut line for the purpose of cutting them out with a plotter or in the printer.

CW Graphix

Thanks Chris to help the guy out I am going to sell it lower to help a guy out! I just emailed him everything!

Chris

Flame

thanks for all the help! i found a pc 600 for $2200 is it work it, the guy says it works great,

READ.... my friend.........READ.

THOSE MACHINES ARE NOT WORTH MONEY. Unless you want a $2200 doorstop. Plus you can't just "jump" into the printing field, it's a big learning curve.

CW Graphix

PC600 is not a good choice at all! I guess we can only give this guy are thoughts let him roll with what he is set on doing! I offered him a great deal on a edge and plotter that is in great shape and no dead pixels and he is set on a pc600 which well in one word they are just junk!

Chris

mvanweer

ABC,
I am in the same boat as you, small print/copy/design shop looking to get into wide format as well. The best advise I can give is learn, learn, learn, then when you think you've got some knowledge under your belt, learn more. Get acquainted with the equipment out there, the capabilities, limitations, etc. Outsource to folks you can trust until you have a client base. Once you are doing a good bit of business, put together a good business plan while getting capital together. When you have all the pieces in place, rethink the leap you are about to take, lose sleep, stress out, curse yourself, then and only then, put your life savings, and some of the banks, into some equipment.
I happened to get lucky(?) and someone GAVE me a dinosaur to start with. It's very limited and I outsource everything right now. I'm just starting to do test runs and get some experience with this antique. If it's goes well, MAYBE I'll consider adding signs, banners, etc. to my in house arsenal of offerings.
The business you are about to embark on is NOT one just to jump into. The guys here (NOT including myself) are seasoned pros! READ what they say and most of all, LISTEN to what they have to say. This is one of the places you can start step one with, LEARN. Best of luck with your endeavor, hopefully both you and I will be able to hold a candle to some of these folks one day.

ChiknNutz

Wow, a bit of sense in a sea often full of pure lunacy.

ABC,
I am in the same boat as you, small print/copy/design shop looking to get into wide format as well. The best advise I can give is learn, learn, learn, then when you think you've got some knowledge under your belt, learn more. Get acquainted with the equipment out there, the capabilities, limitations, etc. Outsource to folks you can trust until you have a client base. Once you are doing a good bit of business, put together a good business plan while getting capital together. When you have all the pieces in place, rethink the leap you are about to take, lose sleep, stress out, curse yourself, then and only then, put your life savings, and some of the banks, into some equipment.
I happened to get lucky(?) and someone GAVE me a dinosaur to start with. It's very limited and I outsource everything right now. I'm just starting to do test runs and get some experience with this antique. If it's goes well, MAYBE I'll consider adding signs, banners, etc. to my in house arsenal of offerings.
The business you are about to embark on is NOT one just to jump into. The guys here (NOT including myself) are seasoned pros! READ what they say and most of all, LISTEN to what they have to say. This is one of the places you can start step one with, LEARN. Best of luck with your endeavor, hopefully both you and I will be able to hold a candle to some of these folks one day.

mark in tx

Go look at the merchant members info here on site.

You can get wholesale printing by them, which will give you a good taste of what to expect from digital printing, and will give you a better idea if you want to get into it.

Minimum you should be ready to spend is around $10,000.

You'll need more than just a printer.

Look around here, there are several threads that cover lots of the info you need.

ABCDecals

ABCDe-Cals
thanks for all the info, for the past few years i have been outsourcing all of the prints, I have looked into a loan for a new printer but then I thought I would start with a small used one to get started. since I don't have to worry about having monthly payments. I only do this nights and weekends since I need a full time job for benefits. The edge seemed like a good deal but I thought it was to small and more then i could spend, I have been looking for a few weeks, I am in no hurry

Flame

thanks for all the info, for the past few years i have been outsourcing all of the prints, I have looked into a loan for a new printer but then I thought I would start with a small used one to get started. since I don't have to worry about having monthly payments. I only do this nights and weekends since I need a full time job for benefits. The edge seemed like a good deal but I thought it was to small and more then i could spend, I have been looking for a few weeks, I am in no hurry

You need to do a lot more research. The Edge may be smaller, but it's far less of a headache and will last longer and provide better looking prints.

But still, if you're new, you do NOT belong in the outdoor printing field. Trust me, outsourcing will save AND make you a lot more money than buying equipment at this stage of your business.