• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Font ID Software: FindmyFont - My Review

Colin

My feeling is, after seeing other efforts fail, that it would be nice to see this program get some support so that improvements are made and we end up with a much better product down the road. What they've done so far is well worth the price of admission.

Good point. As long as updates are offered at a great price for existing registered users.

FindMyFont

Answers and clarifications on 'Find my Font'

Hello to all the type enthusiasts in this forum.

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Harris Kisseoglou and I'm the operations manager for Softonium developments. I was heavily involved in signmaking software in the past. A few of you might have heard of AlphaSign. I was the team leader behind that signmaking software project. Started around 1987, back in the DOS days and continued until recently.

One of the biggest questions signmakers and graphic designers faced for many years was related to font identification.
I used to have all these fonts on my computer and no way to identify which one was the one my client needed. He would bring a photo and point to the font he liked. My thought would be: 'I know I have this font... but which on is it?' Then I would open a font manager and try to find it by scrolling through my fonts until my eye matched the requested font. Needless to say, after a couple of hundred fonts I was getting dizzy.
I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

A few years back WTF came out. I was a gift from heaven. It would identify the font in a few seconds and then tried to sell it to me.
But wait... what if I already have the font? What if I have a similar one and don't need to buy it again? What about free fonts?

Enough with my personal introduction (I think I got a bit carried away :doh:)

We started the development of Find my Font a few years back in order to cover the aforementioned shortcomings and needs. Find my Font identifies the fonts in digital images and it does so by going through the fonts on your computer.
After many improvements I am proud to say that we have developed an extremely fast engine that will scan thousands of fonts on your computer and give you results within a couple of seconds.

Right now only TTF and OTF font formats are supported (the most common ones). After Fred's suggestion (thank you) and several internal discussions we decided to add Type 1 (Postscript) support too. It has been completed and we're in beta testing now. The next version (2.3.02) will include Type 1 support for both Windows and OS X (including suitcases).

We do realize the need for identifying fonts that you don't have on your computer. That's why we're working on the next major release that will include a font identification Database. That's all the information I can disclose on the topic right now.

The latest version (2.3.00) contains also a font browser. Why did we include it in the application? Well many times someone would ask "Do you have the xxxxx font ?"
Find my Font is an application that knows all the fonts on your computer and certainly can answer that question. So we created the font browser... but we added a twist to it. It will not only tell you if you have that font, but it will also tell you what other fonts you have that look like it. Since a video is worth more than a thousand words please see the font browsing video for more information.
Many of you mentioned that the 2000 font limit is a problem. Please explain how you will use a font browser. Let's say you have 20,000 fonts (BTW, we have clients with 10 times that). Are you going to scroll through all your fonts to try and find one for your design? Probably not. You have to reduce your list in order to do that. So typing the word bold will show you in the browser all fonts that have bold weight. Your list of fonts will probably be reduced to around 5,000. Now type also the word italic and your list is not more than 1200 fonts. Now you can scroll through the list and find what you're looking for.
Type the word condensed and see all the fonts that have that word in their face name.
But why do you need a 2000 limit? Why not let it show all fonts?
Well, if you have more than 20,000 fonts the list gets too long. Sorting it, displaying it and generally manipulating it may become slow on some computers. That's why we imposed a limit. We were thinking of having a configurable parameter for the limit, but it would add more complexity.
Give me your opinions. If you feel we really need to increase the limit, we'll look into it.

I see this post is getting too long, so I better stop now :wink:

I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and comments on
Find my Font.
I assure you that any comment or suggestion will be taken into serious consideration. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for your time,

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
findmyfont.com

GB2

Old Member
Welcome to Signs101 Harris and thank you for that informative introduction along with your quick responsive actions relating to your customers needs and input. Apparently you have a good product that you support well and I will certainly be looking into it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

The latest version (2.3.00) contains also a font browser. Why did we include it in the application? Well many times someone would ask "Do you have the xxxxx font ?"
Find my Font is an application that knows all the fonts on your computer and certainly can answer that question. So we created the font browser... but we added a twist to it. It will not only tell you if you have that font, but it will also tell you what other fonts you have that look like it. Since a video is worth more than a thousand words please see the font browsing video for more information.
Many of you mentioned that the 2000 font limit is a problem. Please explain how you will use a font browser. Let's say you have 20,000 fonts (BTW, we have clients with 10 times that). Are you going to scroll through all your fonts to try and find one for your design? Probably not. You have to reduce your list in order to do that. So typing the word bold will show you in the browser all fonts that have bold weight. Your list of fonts will probably be reduced to around 5,000. Now type also the word italic and your list is not more than 1200 fonts. Now you can scroll through the list and find what you're looking for.
Type the word condensed and see all the fonts that have that word in their face name.
But why do you need a 2000 limit? Why not let it show all fonts?
Well, if you have more than 20,000 fonts the list gets too long. Sorting it, displaying it and generally manipulating it may become slow on some computers. That's why we imposed a limit. We were thinking of having a configurable parameter for the limit, but it would add more complexity.
Give me your opinions. If you feel we really need to increase the limit, we'll look into it.

Harris, I tried what you had suggested ... using the search entry field and I didn't like what followed. I expected it to be able to key on the first letter to produce a smaller browsing list. Unfortunately it doesn't and instead finds all fonts that have the entered letter in its name. My opinion is that you should either take another look at how you've constructed the browse feature and remove the 2,000 font limit as well as have a way to force the search entry to key on the font name starting with the first letter.

Frankly, the browse feature is, to me, a lesser feature of FindmyFont. I and most users here already have font management software which includes excellent browsing capabilities, as well as, install and uninstall capabilities. But if you want to have it, then have it work like an uninformed first time user expects it to work.

What I want from FindmyFont is first and foremost, font identification. I want it from as large a database as possible which also searches my fontsets but includes all the fonts I don't have as well. The result list makes it pretty clear when there is a a different named or manufacturer version in my fontsets. Add in a master database as well as handling of Type 1 fonts and you have a decided winner.

Colin

Bought this yesterday. Haven't delved into it too much yet, but seems excellent so far.

:thumb: Recommended.

FindMyFont

New version (2.3.02) covers all limitations.

Hello to everyone,

I am writing this to update you on the status of Find my Font.
Since the discussion started in this forum (and others) we have listened closely to what people have been asking for.
I am happy to announce that the latest version (2.3.02) fixes all of the limitations mentioned in the thread:

• Type 1 (postscript) font support - Including MAC OS suitcases
  • Font browsing limit is now 5.000 fonts (configurable up to 50.000)
  • Font browsing by starting letters
  • A getting started screen to assist new users
The font database matching (match fonts not on your computer) needs more time and will be released in the next major version.

As you can see, if you have any more requests, comments, suggestions... this thread is the place for them :smile:

Thank you for your support.

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
findmyfont.com

FindMyFont

Find my Font v3.0 also identifies fonts not on your computer

Hello to all type enthusiasts,

I am very proud to announce that version 3.0 of Find my Font has been released.

This is a major release since it adds a completely new feature that all of you have been asking for. Identifying fonts even if you don't have them on your computer.
The latest Find my Font searches your computer and at the same time searches our Online Font Database and reports the merged results sorted by accuracy. More details can be found here.

Another major difference from the previous version is the features available per edition:
The new Basic edition has the same features as the previous Pro edition.
The new Pro edition offers the online identification.

It is highly suggested for both editions users to update to the latest version.

As always your comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you for your support.

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
findmyfont.com

Colin

I attempted to do the upgrade download this morning upon receiving the prompt, but it wouldn't download. I sent an email from the website but got no reply. Would appreciate assistance.

Thanks...

Colin

That worked - thanks!

It took me through the same set of windows as this morning, but this time it worked. Tried several times this morning too.

Anyway, thanks for improving the software, I love it!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I attempted to do the upgrade download this morning upon receiving the prompt, but it wouldn't download. I sent an email from the website but got no reply. Would appreciate assistance.

Thanks...
Maybe you should have used a different font in that first email.....

Mark S. Adams

Hello to all type enthusiasts,

I am very proud to announce that version 3.0 of Find my Font has been released.

This is a major release since it adds a completely new feature that all of you have been asking for. Identifying fonts even if you don't have them on your computer.
The latest Find my Font searches your computer and at the same time searches our Online Font Database and reports the merged results sorted by accuracy. More details can be found here.

A brilliant piece of software. Very much with the price for "Pro". Thank you for developing this.

Mark S. Adams

J Hill Designs

Just a thought, but could you (FMF) try to develop a way to fiddle with contrast and colors of a pasted image? sometimes a lack of contrast makes the letter picker pick up too much, so I bring it into photoshop to mess with contrast and repaste...would be nice to do it inside the software :thumb: