• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Here, Doin' Vinyl Since 1998

ChiknNutz

I dunno, but not sure how you can touch much of anything for less than an hour when EVERYTHING is all said and done. If you're content with that market, so be it, I'm actually glad to have a place to dump my trash!

It's so nice to "feel the love". I come out and lay it on the line. Most of you have your panties in quite a bunch.
I'm no troll. Maybe I can't "design" as well some of you and maybe I can. I don't steal fonts, clipart or logos. I've never done a Calvin pissing on anything.
I have cheap rent. My workshop is a 540 sq. ft. suite, very small. The going rate for office space in my market is about $8 per sq. ft. I pay $7 until 2008. That's $315 plus utilities.
You're "trash" has put no less than $40,000 in my pocket every year since 2003, and over $50,000 in my pocket in 2006.
This "hobo" is doing something many of you only dream of. Earn a living. Sorry if I'm "stealing" the food from your table.
It's a free market. That means we all steal from each other. Deal with it and GROW UP!

Last edited:

Jillbeans

Finally a guy to whom we can send our cheap customers who want us to replicate Nephew art!
May we sub out to you?
You seem like you really know what you are doing.
It's a pity that you are leaving so much money on the table.

Cadmn

He's actually in a dream world Incubators dont teach people to lowball & most I know of charge more rent than IRL & set high prices for products they are incubating so this troll is just that a wannabe

Air Art Girl

I prefer to work smarter not harder. With REALISTIC pricing, we get paid what our professional time is worth. As you said you might not be a good designer so there you have it. They get what they pay for, ha! But, there will always be people who prefer Steak to a hamburger. I'll take the steak people who want quality over cheap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha… signedmylifeaway... you got what it takes. Since it’s quite obvious you’re read from cover tot cover the book on how to make friends and influence them, you should try some books by Mike Stevens and Antonelli. You seem to pick up well, so these books might do you a world of good.

Why are you in such a foul mood ?? You’re the one that has set the pace. Don’t always justify your shortcomings with your own minimal knowledge. You will learn here and other places. It’s your call. Go on being a little bastard and we’ll treat you as such. There is common courtesy…. and it’s earned, not a right.

You also might try a math book, too. Some others spelling might be off, others tones might be off, but your calculations of $60. an hour and you’re chump change is $40,000 a year and now only $50,000 is a far cry from $60.00 per hour, unless you’re only working every other week and taking every Wednesday off during your normal work week. Hardly what I’d call ‘Jack’. :rolleyes: If that’s your game…. Stick to it, but I would re-think my accusations if I were you.

Just a friendly reminder or coaxing….

Gino

vid

...I make a fair living at it for about 7 years now.

Why wouldn't you want to make a great living?

You should consider raising you prices 10% and putting that profit into a very aggressive mutual fund for investment. Sounds like your wants and needs are fairly conservative at 50K/year. That being the case, you wouldn't necessarily require the extra 10% cash for living expenses... and the cash you don't need is easy to throw into investments.

You can still take pride in being a bottom feeder, BUT you'll also have some savings socked away for emergencies, vactions, family. ...and you do want to retire some day, right?

Of course, 20% would be better.

Or is your priority in life to work?................... Personally, I shudder at that thought.

Welcome to the forum!

well nothing new we all have to deal with them in real life why not here we are all ultimately responsible for running our own businesses if this is what you have to do to make ends meet well thats what you have to do...but i'd rather make one $10,000 sign at 50% + profit margin than 100 $100 at 5% profit

It appears to me that the problem with most of the posters here is that they spend too much time designing and not enough time working. The text plus clip art is the bread and butter of this business. The high end designs are fine but the mom and pop shop down the street just want people to know where thery are located. All of you spend too much time worrying about an 1/8 inch kern on a 6 inch letter. Give me a break, the best test of design is when the customer is pleased writes a check and refers someone else to you. Just my 2 Cents.

JHM

I'm trying to see things from this guy's point of view...................but i think it is physically impossible to get your head that far up your a$$

Jillbeans

...a lot of my signs are text plus vector art.
And I get good money for them!
What's it take to ungroup/kern/group? A minute?
I can design a good-looking quickie sign in the amount of time it takes Mom and Pop to type in and condense Hellvetica.
Even if it's a $25 corosign, it has to look "right" to me.
So much for caring about the quality of one's work....
And 90% of my work IS referral.

skyhigh

I must have hit a nerve...

What do you do when a customer needs digital printing? Tell them to go to a REAL sign shop? Perhaps if you charged what is warranted for a job, you could afford the proper tools!!!