• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Here, Doin' Vinyl Since 1998

I must have hit a nerve...

What do you do when a customer needs digital printing? Tell them to go to a REAL sign shop? Perhaps if you charged what is warranted for a job, you could afford the proper tools!!!

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing... I said I have a vinyl cutter. I never mentioned if I did or did not have a printer. You only assumed I didn't. You are far too impressed with yourself friend.

The party is over. Thanks to the Internet and people like me, this business has been dragged into the gutter. The days of selling a pair of magnetics for $100 are OVER or will be shortly.

You think I'm bad? There are those in China and elsewhere that make ME look expensive. I've lost bids to overseas vendors. This wasn't the case a few years ago, but the past 2-3 years, it is reality.

YOU and I can be outsourced TOMORROW. It is only a matter of time. Any dope can do this work. Some would say I'm living proof. This "dope" sees the writing on the wall and has a plan to still be in the game.

mystysue

I just dont even understand your post.. The first post in the thread sounds like you are (as my grandma used to say) spoiling for a fight.

YOu and I (along with most members here) take differant paths. Some may say I take the high road, donno if that is the way to put it or not.
I just know.. that i would much rather have my customers that come back year after year for their coroplast signs at my prices, because of the quality and service they recieve..
You commented that you do 50 coro signs for 150... Now why would anyone want to do that.. Heck i just got $728.00 for doing 28 of them (one color simple text, each one differant) thats 26.oo a piece, and you know what.. This customer has come back year and year and continues to.
Why.. because what we do we do right, we make each customer feel that their job is important to us. (heck these were for an event at their place of business and we took the time to stop by and see the signs and see how it was going). The Fire dept told us the other day that they come to use because our work is consistant, they always know they will get the product done right and when they need it by.
Are we losing customers to the cheapie sign makers..
No i dont believe so. We have had 3 new customers in the last couple weeks tell us how they had tried the cheap guys and were disappointed so they decided it was well worth the money to come to us.
If you pay attention to good design and good quality products you can get good prices. We are so busy right now we need to hire a helper.

ONe more thing in my rant.. It shouldnt matter what your rent is as to how much you charge.. Heck if i owned my building outright and had no monthy payments..would that make my product less valuable.. Hell no..

I am happy with my customers that pay us well for a job well done, thank goodness there are people in the business world that know the value of the products of quality that many of us produce

Whoa a troll with my head up my a$$. I had rahter have my head up my a$$ than be stuck on myself like so many of you. A person designs a sign the customer is happy, why is that bad work. Quaility is the backbone of any business. I never said do shoddy work just don't get so hung up on trying to make every sign a peice of art. I believe Jillbeans has to work in a hardware store and does not have a business location yet she can tell everyone else how to make a living, give me a break. I may not charge as much as others here but I work year riund and have a 2000 sq. ft. shop paid for as is all my equipment. As far as digital printing I have a source that does it for a decent price giving me a discount so we both can make a living. Not cheap work just want to make a living and enjoy life. Many here do excellent work even what I would call a work of art but that is not my niche. My nich is the people who want a decent sign at a decent price. Wow must put my head back in my a$$, the light is blinding me.

Roger Bailey

Friendly welcome from this new merchant !

Hey, don't take it too seriously, since some don't fit the "usual profile" they get flamed by others here for they're differences.

Bottom line, your makeing a living, they are makeing a living,
I hear them complain about having to deal with "cheap customers" then maybe they should send em to you and collect a bird dog %, he he he he he he.

This all helps make the world go round, but we can't say that to some, right ?

Roger

Jillbeans

For your information, wildindian, I had to give my two weeks notice practically the day I started back at the hardware store last month.
I made $1000 in the first two days of this week for PAINTED signs, which is probably something you know nothing about.
I can't help it if I live in a financially repressed area.
People here often do opt for the shoddy licky-stickies of which I have 10 in a ten mile radius of me.
I refuse to lower my prices just to get work, and I also refuse to just puke out crappy signs. Funny, I don't recall telling anyone how to make a living, only how to make their signs look better.
Now go back to sticking your decently priced decent signs.
I'd rather sit on the couch making nothing than give away signs for free.
You cheapies who don't care can make signs for the El Cheapos and work twice as hard as I do.
OOPS!
Forgot to mention that I own my house, which sits on an acre of commercial property, and have had a sign shop here complete with a sign out front since 1989.
This is actually my 22nd year in the sign trade.

Sorry if you feel insulted, do not mean to put anyone down. My point is that you live in a repressed area and do what you need to do to make a living so why can't the rest of us who live in poor areas do what we need to do take care of our families without the scarasm of being called cheap, crappy sign makers, poor business people and even trolls with our head in our a$$. I live in one of poorest areas of this nation and there is no way I can charge the prices some mention on this board, the economy of my area could not afford to pay those prices. $28 for 18 x 24 coroplast signs would leave me with a warehouse full of inventory, yet I can get $12 and make a decent profit. I am sorry if I offended you, that is not my nature but instead of assuming you know every thing about me (been in this business 50+ years, and my dad who started all this painted signs and taught me the art when I was only a boy so I do know about painting) I do not turn out crappy work and will not let any employee turn out junk. I have operated this business for 40 years and have made a good living for myself and my family. I sent 4 children through college, 1 to medical school and another to law school, so just because I don't paint Mona Lisa does not make me a crappy sign maker or screenprinter or embroiderer or electrial engineer ( I did go to school Ha Ha) God Bless The USA

skyhigh

Friendly welcome from this new merchant !

Hey, don't take it too seriously, since some don't fit the "usual profile" they get flamed by others here for they're differences.

Bottom line, your makeing a living, they are makeing a living,
I hear them complain about having to deal with "cheap customers" then maybe they should send em to you and collect a bird dog %, he he he he he he.

This all helps make the world go round, but we can't say that to some, right ?

Roger

I'm sure this guy isn't spending 30 bucks for a gallon of rapid tac, at the prices he's charging. Probably making his own weasel piss.

I'm sure this guy isn't spending 30 bucks for a gallon of rapid tac, at the prices he's charging. Probably making his own weasel piss.

If you must know, I do 90% of my work dry. I make my own "weasel piss" (are you calling Roger's fine product weasel piss?) because it works for me. I've tried Roger's stuff a long time ago... No offense, I simply don't need it Roger.

HardbargerSigns

I agree whole heartedly with Jill, even the simplest for sale or lease sign can have a GOOD design element, and most good designers can accomplish this in about 6 minutes or less.

There is NO reason to throw rubbish work out there, we have been FIGHTING the quickie franchises about this for YEARS. We built up a good wage for our craft, and in less time than it takes to type in a sign using only Ariel in one color, shops like these DESTROYED it.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Jillbeans

Well, wildindian, you sure seemed to know a lot about me and didn't mind saying it on the www.

The high end designs are fine but the mom and pop shop down the street just want people to know where thery are located. All of you spend too much time worrying about an 1/8 inch kern on a 6 inch letter.

I'm sorry if my attention to detail bothers you.
You do seem a bit defensive. Since you come from a long history of signs, you should be ashamed to just crank out the vynull like some newbie with an eBay plotter.
What do I get for an 18"x24" coro? $25.

Well, wildindian, you sure seemed to know a lot about me and didn't mind saying it on the www.

I'm sorry if my attention to detail bothers you.
You do seem a bit defensive. Since you come from a long history of signs, you should be ashamed to just crank out the vynull like some newbie with an eBay plotter.
What do I get for an 18"x24" coro? $25.

How many $25 coros did you sell today??? I'd rather sell 10 @ $15 each (my single price) than 2 @ $25. McDonalds may not be the best restaurant in your town (but then again they might be) but I guaranty NOBODY makes more money in the biz than them!

HardbargerSigns

Here's an example: 8 minutes flat. Client approved with one revision. (the zoned was eUs not eVs).

redland-cove-4x4_500_x_500.jpg

I got $80.00 out of it!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just look at his opening line. You’ll understand all there is to know about an individual like this.

He has triggered everyone’s buttons, so let him say his piece and allow him his space and join in with the rest of us.

This is a rare treat for many of you. You don’t realize it, but his math is right on…. his ability is evidently right on… his products are priced just right…. his customers must enjoy him…. He is the ‘American Dream’. :unclesam: :unclesam:

Stroke this little person’s ego and he’ll show us all of his ways and methods. Where else could you get an education such as this man has to offer. He’s willing to share all of his ‘HOW TO’ stories with us… so sit back and enjoy the show. Don’t fall prey to his nonsense and try to match wits this wealth of knowledge. No, learn from him… and learn well… what you DO or DO NOT want to do in business.

It’s hard finding people like this to just open up and tell all of their success stories.

NEXT…. :peace!:

Jillbeans

I'd rather sell a $1500 mural like I completed yesterday than make corosigns at all.
My materials cost for that was about $50. I took today off!
When I need more than 25 coros I sub them out to a wholesaler and still get $20 each.
I find myself selling more high-end jobs than coros lately, and I'm happy as a clam.
Have fun working late tonight and all weekend long selling your cheap signs!
I'm done arguing with both of you...it's not worth it.

skyhigh

My point is that you live in a repressed area and do what you need to do to make a living so why can't the rest of us who live in poor areas do what we need to do

God Bless The USA

I left in the "God Bless The USA" part, because I like it.:thumb:

Wild, I can understand the "repressed area" part of your statement, BUT.... You are not selling signs to the guy thats out of work, your selling signs to other business men and women. Do your auto dealers, whom you make signs for, sell their cars at reduced "repressed area" prices? Have you bought a new ford pickup for 10k lately?
How about the grocery store...they selling eggs at 10 cents a dozen?

My point being.... why do you feel that your sign shop should sell at a repressed price, when everyone you sell to dosen't?

ps. you hold a degree in electrical engineering, and your making $12 coroplast signs? You must love this trade.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There is nothing praiseworthy about mediocrity.

How long does it take to kern a layout? 30 seconds....a minute at the most? Thats called service. The customer liking a poorly kerned sign is not a design principle or even a business principle, it's just an uninformed client and a poorly skilled signmaker.

It's not worth teaching an uninformed client, especially on the low-end so I quote what I quote or send them off to someone who does the cheap quickie sign....it's probably not even worth teaching a hack sign maker either, thier business is based on volume sales at the lowest common denominator. That part of the business is flooded with newbies and volume sales sign shops already. They offer nothing more than cheap prices to clueless customers or customers needed basic signage....there is no shame in that at all, I have done my fair share of it. Text and clipart is the bread and butter of that part of the sign business, not the sign business in general.

There is nothing wrong with servicing the lowend at all. I think what would be better is having the ability to do both. If the economy takes a dump I can suck on the algae anytime I want, I can't usually say the opposite is true for most bottom feeders.