• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP Designjet L25500 Series Printers

HP has today announced a new series of Latex ink printers, the L25500 series. They are available in two sizes, 42 inch and 60 inch. HP's goal with Latex ink is to eventually replace the use of Solvent ink with their Latex ink.

Here is a link to the L25500 printers:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...tml?jumpid=re_r10931|en-us|ga|dcomm|home_shop

These machines represent HP's first attempt to compete with the Roland/ Mutoh/ Mimaki/ Epson solvent plotters that have proven highly popular over the past 6 years (they did not manufacture the Designjet 8000/ 9000 series).

They will be shown for the first time in the USA next week at SGIA New Orleans.

Last edited:

RJ California

I'll spread some unfounded pricing rumors based on my faulty memory -- Early this year I talked to an HP rep at a open house event and he said that the latex printers would be in the $100,000 range... I think.

jasonx

Any ballpark estimates on costs for the 60"?
And ink cost psf?
Available Date?

Ink costs are cheaper then solvent. I met a guy last year who bought the 2.5m version and he solely purchased the printer based on the savings over his solvent ink usage.

miltondavis

The L65500 is in the +$100k range, but I would hope/assume the new 42"/60" would be in the $25-35k range? This price range is much needed for those who wish to transition to providing outdoor "greener" solutions at a lower entry cost, Sure Bio-Solvents are available for ink swaps on other lower cost models but Latex is bound for greater growth potential. Good to hear that inks could cost potentially less than solvent.
I was also wondering about the whole issue surrounding energy consumption, the L65500 created some question among competitors, I wonder if this has the same issue?

SE SignSupply

The L65500 is in the +$100k range, but I would hope/assume the new 42"/60" would be in the $25-35k range? This price range is much needed for those who wish to transition to providing outdoor "greener" solutions at a lower entry cost, Sure Bio-Solvents are available for ink swaps on other lower cost models but Latex is bound for greater growth potential. Good to hear that inks could cost potentially less than solvent.
I was also wondering about the whole issue surrounding energy consumption, the L65500 created some question among competitors, I wonder if this has the same issue?

I would think closer to 40-50k, just because the machine is shorter does not decrease the cost proportionally. Both printers use the same number of parts, some are just shorter.

Ryan

jon vital

It's about £22k in the UK. So probably $40k.

Apparently there is no need for drying time at all with these machines. Straight off the printer and onto the laminator.

Robert M

New HP L25500

I was told they would be under 20K by a HP dealer, not sure if that is the 64 or the 42 inch model. Take note of the fact it has end user replacable print heads. Now we know why they stopped selling the HP9000

jasonx

I was told they would be under 20K by a HP dealer, not sure if that is the 64 or the 42 inch model. Take note of the fact it has end user replacable print heads. Now we know why they stopped selling the HP9000

Under 20k?

I highly doubt it. If you watch any of the videos the advantages are there is now out gassing period and its better for the environment.

If the machines were that cheap it would be a MAJOR selling point.

PC Signs

Keep your eyes open

I thought I would put in my 2¢, I spoke with an HP rep earlier this summer about these printers, here is what I remember from the conversation. The price is supposed to be in the $20-25,000 range for these printers. There were 2 problems I saw with the 65500 (100") printer. First thing is that it requires three phase power, second is that the media must be attached to the take up reel from the start of the print. I was told that the 40" & 60" will not require three phase power, and looking at the picture it appears the 40" has slack on the take up, so maybe it does not need 50" of wasted media like the 100" model. I was also told that the ink will be about 20% less expensive than eco-solvent, however it is six color, which will use more ink. I was also told that they would not allow running the printer in 4 color mode, remember that HP is in the ink business, not the printer business.
With all that being said let me also say that the prints from the 100" model that I have seen are beautiful. I saw prints run at 800 square foot per hour that were perfect, no banding. The color gamut was fantastic, the resolution will rival any of the eco-solvent printers, I could not find any thing to to fault them on with regards to output quality. A major plus with the latex is that it can be laminated immediately, it is completely dry when it comes off of the printer.
I was dissapointed to see that the 40" & 60" will be a 3 head machine and is half the speed of the 65500. Another thing to remember is that the printheads are a consumable item on these printers. From what I remember the printheads, in a typical 8 hour a day shop, would last about a year and cost $500 each to replace (x3 heads).
I want to address the importance of this printer to HP and possibly the sign industry, HP is not trying to compete with eco-solvent printing, they are trying to replace it. This could be the future for low price wide format printing, if it performs well (think how the HP 5000 changed water based UV ink printing). I will personally be watching this printer very closely to see if a few of these would be a good fit for our shop, however I think I will let some others be the first to buy.

Robert M

New HP

If this printer works as well as advertised it should be a big seller for HP. I don't see why it won't come in under 20K. Look at the HPZ6100, the 42" sells for 10K.

MachServTech

HP is not trying to compete with eco-solvent printing, they are trying to replace it. This could be the future for low price wide format printing, if it performs well (think how the HP 5000 changed water based UV ink printing). I will personally be watching this printer very closely to see if a few of these would be a good fit for our shop, however I think I will let some others be the first to buy.

I have been watching this technology closely. It seems the major problems will be media compatibility. This system will reqire very high temps on the media.

TheSellOut

I just Spoke with a sales rep at HP, he said the 42" machine will be in the high teens and the 60" model will be around $25000. They are also offering rebates which he said will bring the 60" down around $22000-23000.

miltondavis

Just to confirm as well, Grimco just sent out the Email News-
42" = $19,000
60" = $24,000
up to $3,000 rebate

Not to bad!

artray

Just to confirm as well, Grimco just sent out the Email News-
42" = $19,000 60" = $24,000up to $3,000 rebate
Not to bad!

Visited Grimco (Atlanta) 4 days ago to check on buying a HP L25500. Was given a price of $18,995.00. Also there was a mention of HP rebate of $3000 for PREVIOUS aqueous printer owners.
One disappointing fact I was told is that they will NOT be ready/sold until Jan 2010. I am in the process of setting up my relocated printing business this month and really would like to buy one of the HPL25500 to replace my Z2100 44" printer which I just sold but I do not want to wait until jan 2010. I want the big/new tax advantage for new equipment installed/purchased before the end of the year.
Also on my written quote was an option for an HP INSTALLATION
*Includes 2 days of travel, setup and training for $795. What's that about I wondered. My HP Z2100 was self assembled and printing in less than 2 hours.
My other concern was the 2 required 220 volt power supplies. Not a big deal but will need an electrician to sort that part out.

Before my Grimco visit, I requested some info from HP and was told to expect an email price quote in a day or two but that was 9 days ago and I still have not heard from them. I contacted them again 2 days ago and I am still waiting for a reply.
If I do decide to purchase this latex machine, I can do a written blow by blow feature from delivery to setup to first print review if the members are interested.

MachServTech

I'd like to hear that blow by blow. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting one before Jan. unless the dealer decides to make you his demo location.

Also I think the trade-up includes solvent printers, buy you will only have to provide the serial number of the printer; not surrender the printer to HP.

MachServTech

The 220v power supplies are to power the MASSIVE heaters on these.

Massive might be an overkill statement. The chassis is almost the same dimensions as the HP Z6100 aqueous printer.

It does produce some heat though 250 degrees is pretty warm.

Attachments

• L25500 small.jpg
    L25500 small.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 147

Printhead

Artray, I'm very interested in a review, if you do buy it.

One thing that's bad about the 42" and 60" is that they're screwing you over the ink prices, or so I've heard. It's basically the same machine but they changed format of the ink "cartridges" (it's not really cartridges but more ink cardboxes) and will charge you more for it than with the L65500.
Way to go HP...

Last edited: