• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP Designjet L25500 Series Printers

artray

Artray, I'm very interested in a review, if you do buy it.

One thing that's bad about the 42" and 60" is that they're screwing you over the ink prices, or so I've heard. It's basically the same machine but they changed format of the ink "cartridges" (it's not really cartridges but more ink cardboxes) and will charge you more for it than with the L65500.
Way to go HP...

As usual...it appears that the small man loses out in the end.

P.S. Contacted hp again this morning complaining that after waiting 3 weeks, I have still not received the promised email containing the HP L25500 price and local Atlanta dealer info. Told them they were close to losing a faithful HP printer customer. They gave me another phone number to call.

Printhead

As usual...it appears that the small man loses out in the end.

P.S. Contacted hp again this morning complaining that after waiting 3 weeks, I have still not received the promised email containing the HP L25500 price and local Atlanta dealer info. Told them they were close to losing a faithful HP printer customer. They gave me another phone number to call.

HP customer service is such a wreck. I had the same thing happen to me. I'm pretty sure they organize their lists of things to do with post-its.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I just did an install of the 104" Latex and it litterally has printed everything we have thrown in it. Should be fairly the same I would imagine on the smaller units, I am going to run some static cling to see how that works. The pricing is correct $19k for 42" and $24k for the 60" with up to $3k for rebate.

gnemmas

That is not bad. I was afraid of being a proprietary ink, HP would want to kill you on it. (based on their desk top cartridge practice.)

$188 / liter, cheaper that Mutoh OEM.

What is the UV ink cost? Trying to compare UV printer with this one. UV printer: inks, UV bulbs, maintenance etc. seems pretty high.

This could be a UV printer killer.

As I understand it don't these latex printers require multiple 220v circuits to power the printer and heater systems, or am I mis-informed on this?

Bly

I had a fairly good look at this printer last month at the show in Sydney.
It seems to be a re engineered version of their latest waterbased printer to use the new inks. Main obvious difference being the big heaters which are necessary to get the inks to take and dry. Yes there are two power cables to the unit.
Having owned HP designjets for years these are quite an attractive option given their reliability and ease of maintenance. The heads are user replaceable like the waterbased printers. In fact they need replacing after a couple of litres I think.
I am in the market for a new printer however a couple of things put me off this thing.
1. They aren't available till Feb at the earliest.
2. 60" probably isn't wide enough.
3. The ink seemed to have a kind of hazy sheen on it. It could have just been the cheap paper they were using but I wasn't impressed with the output. Note to vendors - get the fecken things running at their best otherwise you'll lose sales.
4. I am loath to buy the first version of any new technology.
5. The price was a fair bit more than I managed to get a 74" Soljet for.

Printhead

The heads are user replaceable like the waterbased printers. In fact they need replacing after a couple of litres I think.
I think heads need replacement every ~40 liters, and this replacement is covered in the ink price. Or so my boss has bartered with our HP rep.
3. The ink seemed to have a kind of hazy sheen on it. It could have just
From what I've seen last year at Toronto, there wasn't any kind of haze. They were printing on 15oz banner if my memory serves me well. I was very impressed by the print quality, even at 2 passes it seemed especially sharp and with very discrete banding.
I'm talking about the L65500 though, there may be minor mechanical discrepancies between the models that could create some flaws.

Last edited:

Matt-Tastic

from everything that i've seen, this machine is based on HP's Z-series of printers that have been modified to operate this new printing environment. They don't produce (or contract) permanent heads, so the heads are replaceable just like the ones on your desktop printer (the ones that are built onto your ink carts)

and FWIW, 220V is more efficient (and cheaper) in the long run (in the US) due to how power is measured. the US made 110 power the standard because they could charge twice as much for it :) at least, thats the impression i've been under.

artray

I just did an install of the 104" Latex
Is that a test bed machine? I was told to wait until Jan 2010.
BTW I received an invation from HP for a viewing of the HP L2500 next week in Florida. I am located in Atlanta and was thinking of going to see it firsthand. Minor problem I have is that I don't know where the invitation email is stored on my computer as I have 4 different accounts, or if I deleted it by mistake. If/when I find the info I will post it here in case any readers want to attend the event.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I just did an install of the 104" Latex
Is that a test bed machine? I was told to wait until Jan 2010.
BTW I received an invation from HP for a viewing of the HP L2500 next week in Florida. I am located in Atlanta and was thinking of going to see it firsthand. Minor problem I have is that I don't know where the invitation email is stored on my computer as I have 4 different accounts, or if I deleted it by mistake. If/when I find the info I will post it here in case any readers want to attend the event.

The 104" units are already selling, its the smaller units that wont be shipping for a few months.

artray

HP Designjet open house invitation

You’re Invited:
Special Open House Event featuring the New HP Designjet L25500 Latex Printer

Looking to expand your capabilities and offer more indoor and
outdoor applications to your customers?
Looking for alternatives to solvent technologies that are better for
the environment?
Want to learn more about what HP can offer to help you grow
your business?
HP is bringing the latest in latex printing technology on the road
to several major cities around the country and we are inviting you
to attend this special event. This open house reception will help
you learn more about new applications, mingle with HP technology
experts and your peers and learn the options that the New
HP Designjet L25500 Latex printing solution can offer to help
you grow your business.
Mark your calendar and register now for this exclusive event…
you don’t want to miss out!
Select and click on the city and date on the right that works
best for you.
We look forward to seeing you!

OPEN HOUSE
Be sure to enter our raffle for an
HP Mini 110-1033cl Notebook PC

HP Designjet L25500
Seattle, Washington
November 5 – 3:30 – 5:30
Doubletree, Seattle Airport

Orlando, Florida
November 18 – 3:30 – 5:30
Gaylord Palms
>> Register Now

Anaheim, California
November 19 – 3:30 – 5:30
Sheraton Park
>> Register Now

Dallas, Texas
December 3 – 3:30 – 5:30
Renaissance Worthington
>> Register Now

Coming in January 2010
New Jersey/New York
Chicago, Illinois
Washington, DC

MachServTech

Had an opportunity to get my hands on this machine last week. It seems like it will be a good production machine in office environments. I am a little concerned about the reliability of the media holder/takup, as the rolls of banner and adhesive are much heavier than the z6100 style components are designed for.

SeaWriter

The machine is based on the incredibly successful Z6100, which you find in every copy shop, quick print shop, architect office, FedEx Kinkos or Staples……..so who do you think is the target market?

MachServTech

The machine is based on the incredibly successful Z6100, which you find in every copy shop, quick print shop, architect office, FedEx Kinkos or Staples……..so who do you think is the target market?
Are you asking the question of someone in particular?