• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo for fairly new sign company

Stormyj

Just another guy
Yo.
So, Ive been doing vinyl lettering and some graphics for about 4 years. Misc stuff, nothing really big but some that were ok. Mostly beer money. Ive recently lost my full time job, so am now focusing on the sign business. I have never had a logo but have kept my eye open for ideas that might look good for my business. I talked to a place about creating a logo for me, and she quoted me about $800. Uh, is that normal? Seems a bit steep and maybe im in the wrong business. Anyway. I threw something together and wanted some input on it. Use the red pen and grade accordingly. I already know it sucks, so you cant hurt a dead duck. I wanted to have something with lightning or whatever, but... I'm not that talented when it comes to graphic art.
Thanks in advance.

ps. I attached it as jpg. Should it be, or maybe eps, ai, etc?? btw the red is the cut line

stormvinyl logo 2.jpg

Stormyj

Just another guy
At least its a plus. Any suggestions??:cool: Maybe I should have clarified, dont think it matters though. This particular oval I thought about as a decal to stick on box signs for maintenance calls, if someone else sees it, etc.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
So you did vinyl for beer money and now you're fixing "box" signs....as in illuminated cabinet signs?

HulkSmash

I have no positive suggestions for it, start over. Hire a professional. 800 dollars for branding isn't that far feteched. Some companies charge several thousand.

PMac

Man if your just mostly a boom truck guy, out putting up signs, doing electrical work on signs and what not. Use that decal. If you put up some pizza guys sign and something goes wrong. He just wants to know who to call.

If your actually doing creative work for people. STOP NOW!

There are some really good programs out there that can help you make things look better. By just adding effects and things. But that's just half of it.
True kick a** design come with time and practice along with that good software.

Keep playing with it.

peavey123

Ya sorry, it's bad. There is no contrast at all. So even if it's just a simple decal going on a sign box, it won't be legible any further away than 12". They'll need a ladder to read your decal. lol

My suggestion is outsource. If you really want to start doing signs you're going to need a designer on hand. So find yourself a freelance designer in your general area who can handle the artwork and set up your files for print. It could even be a win-win. You'd bring them work and they could in turn bring you work.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Ya sorry, it's bad. There is no contrast at all. So even if it's just a simple decal going on a sign box, it won't be legible any further away than 12". They'll need a ladder to read your decal. lol

My suggestion is outsource. If you really want to start doing signs you're going to need a designer on hand. So find yourself a freelance designer in your general area who can handle the artwork and set up your files for print. It could even be a win-win. You'd bring them work and they could in turn bring you work.

Good suggestion. Thanks for the input.

thesignguy1986

I don't like knocking people because you have to start somewhere but I will agree in starting it entirely over. As mentioned use some effects, maybe a different font just spend some time on it. If you can take an entire day and work up 3 or 4 designs and work from that and the different elements in each one you like and put those together. It does look like something I would see on a lift truck. I'm not going to say you cannot design well or do good work but if your trying to get your logo to scream "come to me im good at what I do" then I don't think that one will work.

Take some time create a new logo or really tweak that one and most importantly remember were here to help so don't get to offended with some comments you will read

Mosh

Just go spend the $800 and have someone who knows what they are doing design it. BTW, who is going to design these "box signs", I hope not you.....LOL

Also $800 for a branding package is on the low side...

peavey123

I don't like knocking people because you have to start somewhere but I will agree in starting it entirely over. As mentioned use some effects, maybe a different font just spend some time on it. If you can take an entire day and work up 3 or 4 designs and work from that and the different elements in each one you like and put those together. It does look like something I would see on a lift truck. I'm not going to say you cannot design well or do good work but if your trying to get your logo to scream "come to me im good at what I do" then I don't think that one will work.

Take some time create a new logo or really tweak that one and most importantly remember were here to help so don't get to offended with some comments you will read

Just don't use "effects" like sign guy is telling you too please..and if you do..don't post it here. lol

If you really want to take a stab at the logo on your own. Start in black and white. This is what I normally do. I get a nice legible design and then add colour in at the end. Just keep in mind contrast or "gamma" of the colours your adding. You want your logo as legible as possible. Squint test it...squint your eyes so everything is blurry..or take off your glasses haha...can you read it or not?

player

Good thing surgeons need schooling or everyone could start operating on people with no knowledge or talent.