• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New model HP Latex printers for 2018?

DigiDude

Based on the issues (color inconsistency, delamination, dimensional distortion on mural/tiled pieces, graininess) that others seem to be having with their HP Latex machines, I think I'm going to look somewhere else besides HP for my first digital printer. On paper the HP's sound like the perfect solution for what I want out of a digital printer, but in reality there's too much chatter about these various issues the HP Latex machines seem to be experiencing, and so much so that it appears the issues are not so much isolated incidences that can be attributed to environment or user error.

This forum is awesome and has been a great resource for me while researching which machine I'm going to choose as my first digital printer. I've researched Mutoh, Mimaki, Fuji, Summa, Canon and Epson. I'm drawn to the Epsons, as I've read nothing but good things about the Epson S60600 and S80600, with the one exception that Decomurale reported (Epson surecolor S80600 ink dry time? vs Ecosol Max 2) of the dried solvent ink from the S60600 that he purchased being not-so scratch resistant. I will laminate most everything that I print, so that's not so much of an issue for me at this point. Other than this, they seem to be a rock solid investment.

If I did want to print wallcoverings in the future (and I probably will want to) maybe the issues with latex ink would be worked out by then and I'd pick up a latex printer at that point in time. If the issues with latex ink persist, possibly one could laminate the prints coming off of the S60600 or S80600 and hang them with laminate applied? The only question here would be, can residential grade pre-pasted paper that has been laminated after printing be submerged in water to have the glue activated without affecting the bond between the lamination and the printed paper?

ThatGriffGuy

Im certainly not trying to change your mind but I work in a facility that runs 8 HP Latex printers and 4 Solvent printers. The latex printers run all day everyday and rarely have any issues. The solvent printers are a headache and we have a tech in the office at least once a week for them.

DigiDude

Im certainly not trying to change your mind but I work in a facility that runs 8 HP Latex printers and 4 Solvent printers. The latex printers run all day everyday and rarely have any issues. The solvent printers are a headache and we have a tech in the office at least once a week for them.

Thanks for sharing your experience with HP Latex printers, and good luck and best wishes to you when you move back to your home state and open up your own shop! I'm super excited about opening my shop up.

Right now, starting out, other than the delamination issue I think I could probably live with everything else that seems to be going on with this machine. Though, at some point I know I'm going to want to do wraps and wallcoverings, and so the color inconsistency issue that has been reported to happen on the HP's as the print head degrades is another deal-breaker for me. If I were only doing stickers, or one-offs, I would roll with an HP despite these issues, but if I'm looking for a machine that will allow me to grow and expand my business I don't feel like the HP is it. I will take the smell of solvent ink over these issues that the HP appears to be having.