• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new neighbour...trouble begins

gabagoo

I have been in this industrial unit for close to 20 years. I have seen many businesses come and go. I am the longest tenant. (to stupid to buy). My last neighbour did staining of mouldings and refinishing furniture. The guy was always behind in his rent and had people constantly hunting him down for money. One of his worst offenses was spraying his mouldings with some kind of black stain or laquer and then instead of turning on his exhaust fan he would shut the shop and go home and naturally the odour made its way into my unit. I used to constantly bug him about it, but I had a soft spot for him cause he tried hard but just couldn't make a go of it. He moved out 2 months ago, thank God.
New tenant moving in the landlord tells me and they are very nice and in the landscaping business. AHA... Sounds good. WTF do they need a unit for? I ask. They just want it for storage. Great I thinks. They have now been here for 2 weeks and so far I have heard a lot of hammering and building which is cool, but yesterday my shop filled up with diesel fumes and basically stunk all day. This morning the smell is still here so my receptionist (tough sister) went next door to let them know they are killing us and that maybe it would be a good idea to run their equipment outside. I assume they are doing maintenance on the bobcats and back hoe I have seen so far. Also this morning I pull in and see this huge dump truck with a snow plow blade parked directly behind my unit. I have a govt vehicle in my shop and I have it for about a week and I pull it in every night and then during the day back it out. I hop in and start backing it out this morning and the bobcat is right next to my doorway and if I park the truck there I cant open the door to get out, plus the big snowplow parked behind my unit (not theirs... god forbid). Well the landlord comes by to borrow one of my ladders and I tell him, Look I dont want to make trouble for these guys but c'mon. I pay rent and running diesel equipment in their shop is illegal and we are not zoned for it. Have a talk with them and let them know the fumes are comming in my shop. He says he will take care of it.
1 hour ago I hear the sound of an engine firing up and it has been running for about 30 minutes and I say EF em thats it. I walk over and they have the door wide open and ceiling fans running but the stink refuses to leave their shop and is coming into mine so I told them nicely I dont want to be a dink, but I cant work like this and they told me they are going to seal the roof with foam.

we shall see

Tuesday Rant:omg2: over and out

imagep

That kind of crap is why I moved out of my rented downtown row building, and built my own freestanding building. It was a headache to do it, but building my own place was probably the most profitable business endevor I have ever done. Cost me $35k of borrowed money (from my home equity credit line) to purchase the land, and another $165k morgage on the building. The last tax appraisal was for $275k which means it would sell for over $300k in a normal economy. So basically, I made a hundred grand from less than a year of working part time on the project.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before they seal up the ceiling, throw some fish carcasses and blue cheese in the rafters and seal 'em in there.........

Pat Whatley

Start calling the Fire Marshall. You can keep trying to be "the nice guy" but they've made it obvious what they want the space for. Until somebody smacks them they're not going to take any of it seriously.

Seal the roof with foam? How does that correct the problem which is they aren't supposed to be running the equipment inside anyway? Then they block your door. Next thing you know it'll be spring and their employees will be taking up all the parking in front of your building. Then they'll start storing pallets of sod and fertilizer behind the building blocking you in. Then it'll be broken down equipment.

F'em. They rented a space and they're doing it there because they couldn't get away with doing it from their front yards any longer.

gabagoo

doom and gloom. thanks guys lol

They will come around...or else.

I suppose I could divert my exhaust from the printer into their unit too!!:banghead:

anotherdog

Remember, this is canada. You can grind your teeth, get hypertension, but you must be polite. just email the cops about this bunch of swarthy types stockpiling fertilizer.

gabagoo

Remember, this is canada. You can grind your teeth, get hypertension, but you must be polite. just email the cops about this bunch of swarthy types stockpiling fertilizer.

they have all these trucks and backhoes and bobcats and a float a trailer and this big honking snow plow Mofo and not a name a stripe or anything on any of them, seems strange but I will definately get some work out of them sooner or later.

Ken

Yeah Gaby..I think a call to WCB would deal with this effectively.
I mean that's kind of..wimpey..perhaps...but NO ONE needs to be sniffin' diesle fumes.
I might suggest that you will report them to WCB..let it ride from there.
Cheers!
Ken

blackicefx

I had a furniture co a few doors over from my industrial unit. They moved from their unit to the one next to mine. They spray all day with ventilators on their heads and huge fan units on the roof. Does that stop the brain killing fumes? no... it leaked into my unit. There were days I had to leave the shop, along with my guys because we had killer headaches and felt nauseated. I talked to them and they even admitted the fans weren't doing the job and that they now had to spray with the overhead doors open and fans blowing. Talked to the landlord.. any help? Nope, said they were there for a while and they were good tenants. I asked how they were good tenants if all the units next to them had to stay vacant due to overbearing fumes? No go on that question. I had to move...

Matthew