• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Océ Colorado 1640

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We're looking to replace our 3 Mutoh 1638x with HP570s but we can't get the HP to print the quality we need. We're printing 1080x1080 8 pass with 460 carriage speed on the Mutoh's. The HP can't match our quality at a 10 pass. The HP guys are trying to create a custom profile but can't match our current production quality. We run our Mutoh's 20 hours a day 6 days a week and need something reliable. Do you recommend the 1640 and do you have any issues with it?

Why not just run it at a higher pass count? Is it quality or a time issue or a cost issue? Do you have to wait for your prints to outgas with the Mutoh? What is it you print onto?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We're looking to replace our 3 Mutoh 1638x with HP570s but we can't get the HP to print the quality we need. We're printing 1080x1080 8 pass with 460 carriage speed on the Mutoh's. The HP can't match our quality at a 10 pass. The HP guys are trying to create a custom profile but can't match our current production quality. We run our Mutoh's 20 hours a day 6 days a week and need something reliable. Do you recommend the 1640 and do you have any issues with it?

Can't match the quality colour wise?
If the profiles are crap, then no matter how many passes you go, you'll never match the quality of a good profile.
E.g I can have a canned profile on my highest quality mode on my Arizona and my custom profile on my production mode. You'd thing my production mode would be the higher quality mode.

I may be wrong, but it seems like the 1638x and the 570 run at similar print speeds? The HP should be able to get better colour as it runs 7 inks vs 4 with the Mutoh. The problem is creating the profile. if you dont know what you're doing, or the rip your using isn't capible of making a good profile, then you wont get the best out of it.

The Oce Colorado will blitz those 2 printers with speed and quality. 1800dip vs 1200dip. But limitations with the gel inks. Not really used for wrapping cars ect.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If the profiles are crap, then no matter how many passes you go, you'll never match the quality of a good profile.
E.g I can have a canned profile on my highest quality mode on my Arizona and my custom profile on my production mode. You'd thing my production mode would be the higher quality mode.

I may be wrong, but it seems like the 1638x and the 570 run at similar print speeds? The HP should be able to get better colour as it runs 7 inks vs 4 with the Mutoh. The problem is creating the profile. if you dont know what you're doing, or the rip your using isn't capible of making a good profile, then you wont get the best out of it.

The Oce Colorado will blitz those 2 printers with speed and quality. 1800dip vs 1200dip. But limitations with the gel inks. Not really used for wrapping cars ect.

The Mutoh may have similar print speeds but print speed does not include outgas time of 24 hours. I have not seen a mutoh produce a better print than a latex machine.

C

ColoPrinthead

The Mutoh may have similar print speeds but print speed does not include outgas time of 24 hours. I have not seen a mutoh produce a better print than a latex machine.
I don't wait to overly anything that comes off of my Mutohs and Have not had any problems - Hell I've never had issues in all of the 14 years I have been doing large format.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I don't wait to overly anything that comes off of my Mutohs and Have not had any problems - Hell I've never had issues in all of the 14 years I have been doing large format.

Yes I have seen many clients who do that and have not had any issues, I have also met some that do though. I know it's recommended by the MFG's in most cases though.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I was also very interested in the new OCE but now even their official brochures, etc do clearly state that its no good for wraps which we do a ton of. Quoted also to say that on the HP, it does not have 7 colors, those are 4 color. Light colors are not different or additional colors and add precisely 0 additional color gamut. Those only, almost imperceptibly, help a tiny tiny bit with smoothing certain tones and gradients. The HP does have 7 ink channels though - two are for the "optimizer". On a side note - that cracks me up (and part of the reason I've not drank the HP koolaid and jumped on that bandwagon) that the so called super eco friendly HP needs a couple of nasty solvent (aka volatile organic compounds, VOC's) to make its ink stay down. Please feel free to look up the SDS on the optimizer and then go further and look up 2-pyrrolidone (its a component of N-Methylpyrrolidone commonly used in paint stripper) and diol. I'm sure since it not solvents in all the ink that yes I'd concede its might be slightly less nasty than eco solvent machines though.

Anyways - so I agree that the new 1640 is a truly awesome machine but sadly after a lot more reading I'm still on the hunt for something new. If the Oce group would take that same chassis and adapt it to an eco-solvent ink setup as a different model I think it would really be onto something then. Hoping I'm going to decide on something in New Orleans next month.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I was also very interested in the new OCE but now even their official brochures, etc do clearly state that its no good for wraps which we do a ton of. Quoted also to say that on the HP, it does not have 7 colors, those are 4 color. Light colors are not different or additional colors and add precisely 0 additional color gamut. Those only, almost imperceptibly, help a tiny tiny bit with smoothing certain tones and gradients. The HP does have 7 ink channels though - two are for the "optimizer". On a side note - that cracks me up (and part of the reason I've not drank the HP koolaid and jumped on that bandwagon) that the so called super eco friendly HP needs a couple of nasty solvent (aka volatile organic compounds, VOC's) to make its ink stay down. Please feel free to look up the SDS on the optimizer and then go further and look up 2-pyrrolidone (its a component of N-Methylpyrrolidone commonly used in paint stripper) and diol. I'm sure since it not solvents in all the ink that yes I'd concede its might be slightly less nasty than eco solvent machines though.

Anyways - so I agree that the new 1640 is a truly awesome machine but sadly after a lot more reading I'm still on the hunt for something new. If the Oce group would take that same chassis and adapt it to an eco-solvent ink setup as a different model I think it would really be onto something then. Hoping I'm going to decide on something in New Orleans next month.

Yeah sorry i did mean 7 colour as in light cyan mageta ect. and yes it only helps with gradients really.

But the Colorado, i dont think OCE have an interest in building it for the wrap community. I did speak to a few of them already about it. They said there's enough printers that are sufficient enough for wraps so this was designed for those who pump out banners, and display graphics.

Because i dont do wraps, i would own one but unfortunately i don't push out enough prints on the roll to be worth it. But when they do make a wider one, i might be more interested then.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yeah sorry i did mean 7 colour as in light cyan mageta ect. and yes it only helps with gradients really.

But the Colorado, i dont think OCE have an interest in building it for the wrap community. I did speak to a few of them already about it. They said there's enough printers that are sufficient enough for wraps so this was designed for those who pump out banners, and display graphics.

Because i dont do wraps, i would own one but unfortunately i don't push out enough prints on the roll to be worth it. But when they do make a wider one, i might be more interested then.

That's an expensive machine to just pump out banners with, thats for sure.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
BUMP, did anyone ever actually get one of these units? Curious how the game was changed or if it has been changed yet. I can't find any users.

bigben

BUMP, did anyone ever actually get one of these units? Curious how the game was changed or if it has been changed yet. I can't find any users.

I'm very interested in this machine, but I'm waiting for a version with white ink. I've heard it will come up in a year or so.

Bly

I went to a demo day before xmas and saw one running.
If I was doing enough roll volume I'd get one for sure.
It is really fast even on backlit film.
No good for wraps though which they freely admit.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I have to say that machine seems amazing.

This looks familiar...

CWFeNs1.jpg