• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Print & Cut Hp!!

tomence

That's music to my ears, any other Latex dealers you know looking to jump ship can only help me so that's great! Me personally, I am tied to that company like no other so I am choosing HP, not latex but the company as a whole.

The opportunity HP has provided me personally over the years is something I will never forget and my loyalty lies with the companies that help further my career and success. No one is perfect though right.

Again, I was not taking any dig at you personally, I meant the car wrap market is getting harder and harder to compete in and that it should be important to companies to know how the trends are shifting at a rapid pace towards new applications.

I have nothing against you nor your business, you have been big help to many when it comes to customer service either for media or equipment, of course you chose HP and will defend it in any way possible, I am just saying what I have experienced once I added one to my business, nothing but headaches and I really wanted to love this machine so i can buy another one but will hold on to it a while and see what the future brings.

ikarasu

That's music to my ears, any other Latex dealers you know looking to jump ship can only help me so that's great! Me personally, I am tied to that company like no other so I am choosing HP, not latex but the company as a whole.

The opportunity HP has provided me personally over the years is something I will never forget and my loyalty lies with the companies that help further my career and success. No one is perfect though right.

Again, I was not taking any dig at you personally, I meant the car wrap market is getting harder and harder to compete in and that it should be important to companies to know how the trends are shifting at a rapid pace towards new applications.
I hope HP is as good as you're always touting it to be. ;)

My machine was supposed to be here a month ago. When it finally got here, HP sent the wrong machine - And it's been over 2 weeks, and constant delays on getting the new one, because it was "out of stock". Maybe since I'm in Canada things are a bit different...but from what I hear, my Dealers been having a hard time dealing with HP and getting the printer over here.

I do understand shit happens - And if there's no stock, theres no stock. It sucks, but such is life. Hopefully the machine runs great, and support from once I receive it is also great!

sonia

Ok can't say to much yet but HP is launching their own print and cut solution which is pretty awesome! I am looking at their system now and it's not surprising to me how smart they are but the way they partner with the best in the industry is really cool to see. Killer system they have developed! News will be out tomorrow once ISA starts. Feel free to PM for additional info
If you want to learn more about this solution please visit the Latex Knowledge Center HP Latex 315 Grow with this 54-inch (1.37 m) business-ready print and cut solution

equippaint

This is just as bad as Roland's anti latex info. You're marginalizing the space 2 machines take up and the human intervention to swap materials from one machine to the other if you aren't laminating. So the Roland took a little longer but my take away from it was that I never saw a person in the Roland video that had to stop what they were doing, tend to the machine, go back to what they were doing and remember where they left off. Not discounting the merits of a stand alone cutter IF your workload and production flow justifies it.
Be honest and call the space what it is. Sure 7 sf, but its long and narrow. People bring us things to blast and ask if we can unload it....its not very heavy..... then it shows up and is 60' long or 14' across and they knew all along you need a crane and not a forklift.
We do all print and cut, and Id rather have 2 combo machines than 4 separate machines. I adjust my workflow to suit it and adjust my prices accordingly. If we printed wraps all day then it may be a different. I think Id still go solvent. Id rather spend my time waiting for ink to dry than dicking around with profiles, heat, optimizers or whatever other kind of tinkering you have to do with these things to get the same results my solvent got straight out of the box. We don't do anything fast here either and have no plans on changing that.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This is just as bad as Roland's anti latex info. You're marginalizing the space 2 machines take up and the human intervention to swap materials from one machine to the other if you aren't laminating...

The point, which seems to scoot right past you, is that a machine that prints and cuts using the same transport and positioning tackle for both functions neither prints as well as a printer that just prints nor cuts as well as a cutter that just cuts.

Moreover, if you don't have room for a printer and a cutter you don't have enough room. Moving prints from printer to cutter is the work of seconds assuming you know what you're doing.

equippaint

Ill have to agree to disagree. Take the mimaki cjv vs the jv, its the same printer. You're not giving up any functionality or quality just because the carriages share the same rail and feed. Heads the same, rips the same, drive system the same etc. Not sure how a cutter on it would diminish the print quality. Agreed there are better cutters but there are also equal and worse than what comes in a combo. The majority of people don't buy top of the line anything anyways.
Most don't do near the amount of cutting they did 15+ years ago so to me it makes more sense to have this thing packaged up and out of the way. It's there when you need it without eating up extra space.
I'm not a big fan of the fast sign concept either which taints my opinion somewhat. The industry has created this and keeps driving it. Who on gods green earth absolutely has to have a wrap or sign or whatever by tomorrow. You give me $$ today, Ill print it tomorrow, laminate the next day, then schedule your install or make your sign or whatever after that depending on my workload.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ill have to agree to disagree. Take the mimaki cjv vs the jv, its the same printer. You're not giving up any functionality or quality just because the carriages share the same rail and feed. Heads the same, rips the same, drive system the same etc. Not sure how a cutter on it would diminish the print quality. Agreed there are better cutters but there are also equal and worse than what comes in a combo. The majority of people don't buy top of the line anything anyways.
Most don't do near the amount of cutting they did 15+ years ago so to me it makes more sense to have this thing packaged up and out of the way. It's there when you need it without eating up extra space.
I'm not a big fan of the fast sign concept either which taints my opinion somewhat. The industry has created this and keeps driving it. Who on gods green earth absolutely has to have a wrap or sign or whatever by tomorrow. You give me $$ today, Ill print it tomorrow, laminate the next day, then schedule your install or make your sign or whatever after that depending on my workload.

The truth is that a separate printer and cutter is the better workflow on paper and in practice most of the time. That being said, we sell about 5 combo machines to every non-combo machine. There are probably a lot of reasons but I believe the most common one is exactly what you describe. The customer doesn't have a ton of space and realizes that the extra throughput of the separate printer and cutter doesn't outweigh the space savings. I don't know about you guys but here in Denver commercial space comes at a premium. Plus, most stickers and signs are so temporary that laminating is overkill. When not laminating, a printer/cutter combo blows separate setups out of the water when it comes to convenience.

Bly

I'm sure if you only do small jobs and aren't that busy a print/cut machine is all you need.
Cheaper too.
When you start doing larger print runs and a lot of cut only work you will soon wish you had a fast stand alone cutter.

sonia

Totally bad news. No disrespect to anyone but the people that buy them are digging the grave. The dealers will all get burned at some point also as HP will start selling directly to consumers and through mass market retailers just like everything else they make. Stop buying their stuff and support the companies that will never go mass market like mimaki, mutoh roland etc.
I make a statement here: HP has no intention on star selling directly to consumer.

equippaint

I should clarify my statement a bit. I was referring to the entry level units that HP sells like the 110. Its not sold direct per se but you can buy it from any supplier and its a self setup which eliminates the need for the dealer more or less. What's to stop that from becoming the norm for units up to the 570? I'm sure it costs HP less if they dont have to send dealers out to do initial setups which in turn makes the printer more attractive price wise. Up to this size unit, price really drives many of the sales. At that point it would be in their best interest to have as many "dealers" aka online retailers as they can get, sell them online and drop ship. Unless my assumption on how the 110 is sold is incorrect. Look what echo did with their power equipment and home depot.

ikarasu

So many complaints ;)

I'm not going to complain about grand format printers because they're too big to fit in my space, and say they're useless. The same should be said about print and cuts....

Say I was a small shop in the mall doing T-shirts and business cards, and wanted to do stickers. I couldn't fit a printer and cutter in my already small space... But this would fit easily. I could send thousands of stickers to the printer, and it'd print it and cut it and be ready for me the next morning.

Most of us use laminate on pretty much everything, so I agree it's useless for us. But there are some situations where a print and cut would be beneficial. It's not just about space saving... Theres certain markets where having both on one machine would be great (Sticker businesses that don't laminate, for one).

Obviously if the market wasn't there, companies wouldn't put R & D into building the machines.

Robert Gruner

So many complaints ;)

I'm not going to complain about grand format printers because they're too big to fit in my space, and say they're useless. The same should be said about print and cuts....

Say I was a small shop in the mall doing T-shirts and business cards, and wanted to do stickers. I couldn't fit a printer and cutter in my already small space... But this would fit easily. I could send thousands of stickers to the printer, and it'd print it and cut it and be ready for me the next morning.

Most of us use laminate on pretty much everything, so I agree it's useless for us. But there are some situations where a print and cut would be beneficial. It's not just about space saving... Theres certain markets where having both on one machine would be great (Sticker businesses that don't laminate, for one).

Obviously if the market wasn't there, companies wouldn't put R & D into building the machines.

Robert Gruner

HP Print & Cut solution...Lots of pros and cons...It's a whole lot more that simply a HP Latex printer and a Summa Cutter...It includes a slick workflow barcode and a nice SAI PS RIP.

If you have questions and you need answers, then ask the Latex guy at latex@hp.com