• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New shop toys for christmas!

klemgraphics

Here is one of the new toys! If only it was warmer outside!

Yet to come by years end:
-cnc router
-mig welder w/ spool gun (ordered)
-flatbed printer??

Attachments

• bucket2.jpg
    bucket2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 59
  • bucket1.jpg
    bucket1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58

klemgraphics

42' max working height.

Lottery?? I wish! More like building a cnc with the help of friends that re-build/use them for a living. Flatbed will probably not happen. Welder is new though, and needed to build the CNC!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Truly nice.

Doesn't the truck have a welder on it already ?? Ya might wanna consider that.

klemgraphics

You are correct, no outriggers the truck is a F-550 and is quite stable even all the way up and out as far as it will reach.

No welder on it either.

I'm really excited to use it!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Again, it's hard to tell, but is that bucket resting on anything like a brace? If the bucket is unsupported at rest, it'll shake the crap out of your bucket and stress a lot of thingys as you're going down the road.

klemgraphics

Again, it's hard to tell, but is that bucket resting on anything like a brace? If the bucket is unsupported at rest, it'll shake the crap out of your bucket and stress a lot of thingys as you're going down the road.
It's fully supported both on the boom and the bucket itself. I appreciate your concern and I'm all ears for anything else I should know.

phototec

Man, that's a great addition to your business!

Can't wait to see that baby wrapped, just think of the self promotion you will get?

:thumb:

Attachments

• Houston Electric.jpg
    Houston Electric.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 37
  • SD%20Bucket%20Truck.jpg
    SD%20Bucket%20Truck.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 31
  • sign2.jpg
    sign2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47
  • w823kl.jpg
    w823kl.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 47

oldgoatroper

The more I look at this unit, the more it seems identical to the one we had in the late 80s. Even down to the molded step on the outside of the bucket.

Can't remember too much about it except ours came with ballast for stabilization -- two big chunks of concrete straddling the frame just ahead of the rear wheels and up to the cab. There were clad in steel and made to look like tool boxes.

We ran it that way for a couple years, then had them removed and had outrigger (manual ones) installed. The truck's performance changed dramatically after that. The ride went to crap, but the handling improved substantially and the mileage shot up to about 12 mpg from about 4 mpg. Oh, yeah... and the braking performance went from "say a little prayer" to impressive.

Yes, there was the added hassle of setting the outriggers, but it just felt better up there.

klemgraphics

The more I look at this unit, the more it seems identical to the one we had in the late 80s. Even down to the molded step on the outside of the bucket.

Can't remember too much about it except ours came with ballast for stabilization -- two big chunks of concrete straddling the frame just ahead of the rear wheels and up to the cab. There were clad in steel and made to look like tool boxes.

We ran it that way for a couple years, then had them removed and had outrigger (manual ones) installed. The truck's performance changed dramatically after that. The ride went to crap, but the handling improved substantially and the mileage shot up to about 12 mpg from about 4 mpg. Oh, yeah... and the braking performance went from "say a little prayer" to impressive.

Yes, there was the added hassle of setting the outriggers, but it just felt better up there.
I'm gonna take a closer look at this later on today, I think we estimated that we got about 8-9mpg bringing it home so it may have ballast on it somewhere.

Thanks!

oldgoatroper

...but I don't want to sound like I'm dissing it. Either configuration worked a treat. We just found we were doing more long-distance installs and maintenance and it made sense to remove the ballast and install outriggers. I definitely preferred the outriggers when I was up there, though.

Is the control system on the bucket a single twist/squeeze/lever handle? I really liked that.

klemgraphics

...but I don't want to sound like I'm dissing it. Either configuration worked a treat. We just found we were doing more long-distance installs and maintenance and it made sense to remove the ballast and install outriggers. I definitely preferred the outriggers when I was up there, though.

Is the control system on the bucket a single twist/squeeze/lever handle? I really liked that.

I looked closer yesterday evening and there is no ballast on it but to the rear end housing there is a massive stabilizer that holds the suspension from moving independently much at all in the rear. It can move up and down but it will resist rolling.

The control is the single handle twist/squeeze/lever and I do like it much better than the other one we have.

oldgoatroper

I used to take great delight in lifting the bucket off its cradle, then, with my masterful control of the hydraulics, take the bucket in a straight line to its working position with the boom opening/lifting/rotating simultaneously in varying degrees.

Well, maybe I was only impressing myself... :)

signage

Klem what is the side reach extrension for that boom?

My understanding is OSHA requires all Boom/Bucket Trucks that can extend 27' or greater from boom mounting needs outriggers!

John L

I used to take great delight in lifting the bucket off its cradle, then, with my masterful control of the hydraulics, take the bucket in a straight line to its working position with the boom opening/lifting/rotating simultaneously in varying degrees.

Well, maybe I was only impressing myself... :)

I do the same. Masters touch.

Real nice bucket!

klemgraphics

Klem what is the side reach extrension for that boom?

My understanding is OSHA requires all Boom/Bucket Trucks that can extend 27' or greater from boom mounting needs outriggers!

Haven't really measured the side reach exactly but I'm gonna say its about 25' max probably not even that much, I would say the outriggers would have still been on it if required by OSHA. I will check into that though.

Thanks!