• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie with several questions

Bradster941

Jillbeans said:
I just hope the Roland doesn't short out on your home-wired electricity.

Hey if you want your new stickers to look really nice, print them in red on white Avery A8...it's great material.
And use an effective font, say Brush Script, in all caps for that professional look.
Be sure to run the lettering right out to the edges of your material, to make the best use of your advertising dollar.

:cool1:

Jill

I just don't see where that was necessary :rolleyes:

KPC

Jill, do you feel good saying that? Seriously... So I need a professional to print out small decals. I need a professional to print out a decal for the side of my truck? I hope it makes you feel good to feed bad information. Thank God that I spent a little time doing some research because for the person who did no research, they would take you to be serious. Do you think it is time to grow up?

With you past comment about only using Gerber. The way you said that, it is like elementry kids who says, my bookbag is cooler than yours. What maturity level are you really on?

Such a shame..

Jillbeans

Well it brought me some comfort.

Don't get me wrong.
I have no problems with hobbyists or grannies with a plotter as they really are not much competiton to me.
I have been a Letterhead for well over 12 years, and hosted meets to teach and welcome Newbies into the CRAFT of sign making.
What bugged me was his attitude of it being easy.
True, you don't even need to know how to spell to crank vynull out of a plotter.
But first saying you want a professional look, and then trying to achieve it on your own, even if it is a one-off, is offensive to me as a sign maker.
It has taken me literally years of hard work, research, and study to get where I am today in the sign industry.
If I need something done that I don't know how to do, I look in the yellow pages.
He did not acknowledge any of the first attempts to help him either.
I just figured he would soon be needing design advice since he can probably run his Roland on his own.

love....Jill

PS
As a painter, first and foremost, I got a Gerber 4B to make stickers and pounce patterns.
It's a dinosaur.
Anyone who knows me knows that I couldn't care less about the plotter I use as long as it runs right.
I mentioned Gerber because I don't know anything about Roland.

Do whatever you want with your little toy.
I'm sure your decals will look swell.
Have a nice life.
:U Rock:

kpc just so you know and this is not nonsense you did not buy a quality machine, you paid too much for a machine that should have never been introduced into the sign industry. it is extremely expensive to operate, it produces a mediocre quality of product and is totally unreliable and prone to frequent repair....just fyi and just a tip to get you going assign a specific oddball color in your color palette as your conture cut color, and create your vector in that color so that the plotter recognizes it and it will cut, but VERY VERY slowly...it is the nature of that machine.

madisonsignguy

And yea unless it's one of those no fear -- get er dune, fair decals then you do need a professional. Why would you put something on the side of your truck, if it's for your business, When you have never studied design or advertising?

And there is a difference between someone doing it for a hobby like the woodworker and someone pretending to be a professional and producing work for their company and their friens company.

And what the hell a Pizza and beer? Yea I'm gonna give away knoweledge that cost me 4 years worth of student loans and countless shitty jobs to learn what I Know.

Go get a frickin Job at Sign a Rama if you want to know how to cut "STICKERS"

iSign

if I had suspicions of baiting before, I'll retract them. While agreeably abrasive, KPC has spent far too long attempting to clarify his position for me to believe it a fabrication.

As an individual quite often found to be abrasive myself, & sometimes without intending to, I can look past his initial first impression & welcome KPC.

I can also say that if KPC follows through with the "new leaf" turned over in a more recent post... I have seen here often that others will also respond in kind & the information will flow more freely.

In fact new begginnings are so easy to come by if you really realize that you reap what you sow... just let this trainwreck thread go & start a new one.

I think Fred's country club analogy was so succinct in addressing the way your reactions to the negative posts set the tone of the thread. Jills post for example could have been ignored. I have seen Jill help others as much as anyone on any forum, & while I can be helpful at times... I seen myself slip into the human flaws of sarcasm or condescension far more then most. I also do what you did KPC... if there is conflict, I dive right in & fan the fires, so I'm not judging you for that, but don't blame the forum. We are all individuals, this is anarchy, but we all co-create our experience. If you don't want conflict, don't participate in it.

By the way, I didn't want to say it first... but Dan is telling you the truth, while the Roland name is generally considered one of the more reliable names in sign equipment... the PC600 was much more famous among sign professionals as being less then ideal. However even with the high cost per square foot for the printing technology... it is a machine capable of highly professional results. Good luck with yours.

Cadmn

as stated many posted you needed a vector, you ignored that info & whent on to explain how it couldn't be that hard its not if you listen next question may have been do I produce a vector around my entire image? then you might have ended with a step by step or you might just run down to Fast signs & ask questions, they are real nice people/franchise & bradster who plucked your tail feather? Kpc keeps discussing the amateurs go call one of the franchises an ameteur<sp>you usually get in this business in 2 ways grow/fall or pay dearly & some did both a franchise is 100K+

Pro Image

KPC said:
I need a professional to print out a decal for the side of my truck?

You Image is everything............If I was looking for a shop to refinish my chrome bumpers off my 63 Olds.........You come to pick them up in you truck and I notice that the lettering looks like 3 blind men with weedwackers lettered you truck. I ask you who did the lettering? Your reply "ME"........Do you honestly think I'm going to let you work on my bumpers? I don't think so.........

what a cliché but you only have one chance to make a first impression...........What impression do you want to make?

If it takes a PRO to make you identity something special then thats the way I would go.........If you want to have a lettering job that look like shit well thats your decision...............:thankyou: and come back again...........:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well KPC, I had time to think about this over the weekend. My take on this situation may probably be more personal then some, since I view this industry with a passion. I’ve lived it a long time. Answers such as Jill’s… I find on the light side. If those few words demoralized you to such an extent, what kind of advice or training do you expect ?? Are you another person that needs to be handled with kids’ gloves ??

I don’t care if the guy next to me is an airbrush artist, computer graphics designer, a hobbyist, newbie, seasoned veteran, tube bender… and the list goes on. The amount of knowledge you have when you begin something is usually about nil.. and with some people that number doesn’t go too high after years of being at it. My time has been spent over the years making signs, learning, teaching others, learning some more, and helping, via hands on, by phone or via the Internet. I will always try to help; it’s my upbringing and nature. Some of the people that you referred to in your threads do argue and fight with each other, but that is not something the new kid on the block should be pointing out. Your bedside manners lack many things.

The main thing you don’t lack is your two faced statements. I reread your posts yesterday from home, and although I was the first person to step on your toes [and far from the last], I don’t think sugarcoating your statements and feeble attempt to apologize to those that had an ‘attitude’ towards you held any merit whatsoever.

You’ve expressed an interest to come into this field, but later confessed, with sheep’s clothing of a different motive. I’m at the point… I don’t think you even have another business. How could anyone survive in any business with behavior such as yours ??

You’ve been given more knowledge than you realize and still haven’t put it to use. You react well when the administrator talks, so you do understand rules, you just don’t like being picked apart and being shown your true colors.

I have a question for you. You don’t need to answer, because I probably won’t believe your answer, but I just want to get this off of my chest. If you know so little about all of this, how is it you know information that may or may not be useful to you from post #62 ?? In only 27 hours and 13 posts, you’ve gone from nothing to already becoming an expert on sign people and our industry. You are truly amazing. It just depends on which side of the pile you’re standing. :Sleeping:

Bradster941

GINO,

You have done Everything you possibly can to cause trouble here. You just can’t let a sleeping Dog lay.

Starting it all with your post #7, you cut and paste selective things to make a negative situation out of someone that was just looking for a little help so you can Bash him. What’s worst, when you have nothing of substance, you make up words and assign them to who your Bashing.

“AND
I'm going to be hurting the general public by someone paying me for a 1/2 quality sign.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but he didn’t say he bought his Roland knowing nothing about nothing so he could make signs or stickers to sell to anyone. He simply wanted to print and cut some (admittedly low quality door signs) for Himself. But their were those of you that wanted to bash because this person couldn’t possibly produce the quality work that you can and thus shouldn’t be doing it. I agree, he, like I, can’t produce the high quality images you can, but exactly who are you to tell me I shouldn’t do it if I want but instead come to you. ( Good or Bad, I think it’s still his choice Castro).

Knowing nothing about nothing. Yup, he doesn’t. But if you read his post and the terms used in them, it is, (was) clear to me that he took the time to read through the post on this forum trying to get the information he needed before asking the Noob question, “Why won’t my Jpeg Cut?” when I hit Plot. And he used terms that are common to you, the Pro’s. At least he made the effort to try and learn before asking for help unlike so many others.

And to address the other part of the Bitch session;

“you got your answer 3 times, 5 if you include -à and you never acknowledged them.

Well, a Thank You would have been nice but as one that somewhat answered his question at the beginning one would think I would be the most offended. I’m not!. I can see myself being frustrated at trying to make something work and can’t make it do so, so I asked more questions. Then I get Blasted by GINO. I can tell you 6 ways to Sunday I would fire back at GINOs post but honestly, I wouldn’t have been so nice!!!!

GINO, I see you and KPC are in the same area. Is that why your so pissed off that this guy bought a printer / cutter instead of calling you to make his signs? Cause you sure were quick to Bash and Even make up motives for someone else.!. And even as the thread was at rest for a day you, and You alone just had to Bring It Back To Life !….

Now to address the “my motivation for being the Devils advocate”:

On this forum, I bring nothing to the table to contribute in designs or layouts as I’m not in the sign business.
That is unless you consider I am the public your signs will be viewed by.
I’ve study everything that has been posted here in the last 12 months and read every comment made about it and have learned a great deal. I thank you for that.

Who Plucked my Tail Feather Cadmn, sit down for this;

Many of you did.

As Fred said, this is a community of many individuals.

As such it is fair to say that at times the best we can do is to agree to disagree.

In this community, which on a whole is a pretty cool place to be, over and over again I’ve seen where one person, usually a Newcomer, post a question and it is picked apart and turned around by 1 or 2 members and suddenly it is a Free For All to Bash the poster.
Sometimes it’s right on track, like the guy that wanted to trade vectors, other times, it’s not. It’s just one Jerk twisting things around and suddenly it’s a Bash Fest.

It’s like a pack of Wolves around here that one minute your petting, the next minute your having your arm ripped off. All because one wolf didn’t like the scent and decided to attack so the rest join in..

No matter how you look at it, it isn’t right.

And GINO, reading all your post, I wonder what your problem is?:rolleyes:

Have at it boys……. :beer

Cadmn

bradster would you have gone up to Stevie Ray Vaughn & said heck any body can play that, now can you teach me, not the way to get help & most come in with this attitude & treat a profession with No respect. walk up to Mike Tyson & tell him your gonna knock him out & see how long you last. if it was soo easy then why does he need to ask ?

Bradster,

You are correct in saying that we are all a group of many personalities.

When a new person comes along (here), they are usually welcomed with open arms. We do not need to tell you this, as you have seen and experienced this yourself time and time again. We use the word "usually" BECAUSE KPC himself wrote:

I didn't buy this machine to go into the sign making business

One thing that sets my current business apart from the competition is that we always present ourselves as being very professional in both attitude and appearance.

I don’t have the time to close up my business

I can't see it being difficult by any means, to produce a simple "Text Only" sign for the side of a normal utility work van

I don't have the time to "self learn" how to become semi-decent in the world-of-signs

I feel like I'm running out of options. It's getting down to the point where I wish I could find someone in a 150 mile radius that would welcome me to their shop / home to show me the ropes

...all long before Gino or myself even posted. To me those coments are offensive and insulting. By no means do I hold the status of many others that I dearly respect and admire on here BUT I worked very hard to learn, as should everybody. KPC kept contradicting himself all along the way, all while expressing that he did not want to "invest" the necessary time.

I do not think that Gino and KPC being in PA has anything to do with it.

Here is another example. One of my younger brothers has a tranny go in his Camaro, 15 years ago. It is Friday night. Without question I get him a tranny and we proceed to install - until his GF wanted to go bar-hopping. It was expected that I would stay (away from my wife) and install the trans while they went partying. When I objected - his response was that "he already worked his 40 hours that week." (My average week was 75 hours.)

Now guess what I did next...........................

IntrezaDesigns

It's obvious this guy has no respect for us and he thinks our profession is easy so let the cat bit his tongue when he installs his stickers or lettering and it comes out like bubble gum city, nothing comes easy in this world and if he wants to try his fingers in our profession, his work will speak from itself. simple don't even give this dude the time of day guys no matter how hard we try or talk he still has pig headed remarks... once and ass always an ass remember that.

OldPaint

i think what KPC is doing....is lookin for another line of work!!!!! and not being totally up front with us.
industrial coatings...huh.........my wife works for one of the largest companies WHO DOES INDUSTRIAL COATINGS....ALL OVER THE U.S.A. and few foriegn countries, and they employee a lot of sub workers.....guys who do the work.....and are "contract labor" ......and these guys call themselves a business.
also what was said about the PC-600, IS TRUE..whoever sold it to you ......STUCK IT TO YOU!!! not an example of rolands best.
i have only roland plotters....PNC-1100'S one of the best that roland made........so i can say i luv rolands....
but i wouldnt buy what you got...
inthe long run..you would be futher ahead to get a good sign guy to letter up youre truck(i do all the signs for the company my wife works for)and i leave them to any industrial coatings on water tanks and towers....

IntrezaDesigns

^=-=- its like anything if you came to my house to do a job with hand stuck on letters from walmart and then another guy came with a professional looking job with his doors and back done, I would pick the guy with the professional looking job, it shows he took the time and money to get it done. Now a days image and apperance is EVERYTHING!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Ho, young Bradster… I sure hope you’re not pulling the same trick some others did here a few weeks ago.

That being said, if I’ve offended you, I’m sorry, but there is a condition to that apology. I’m sorry only, if I did it out of malice or was not attacked first by you. I don’t think other than some fun statements or comments towards others on this site that I’ve purposely gotten on anyone’s case without just cause in the last few months. I have, and will continue, to call them as I see them.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, on this site knows right from wrong. If you, or they don’t, then I have no time or use for that individual or the likes. I don’t feel I need to give you my philosophy on life or business, but you seem to be a little mixed up about my statements, so here goes.

This place is not a popularity contest for those who do nice work. It’s a place to ask for help, receive help, compare ideas, discuss problems, find new vendors or ideas, but most of all… a place where people of the same mindset can get together on any level and can relate to each other. I’m sure Fred has far better ways of describing ‘Signs 101’, but that’s my take on it. Therefore, you really shouldn’t compare KPC to me or any others on this site, since you really can’t get the truth about him. I have nothing against his being a newbie, a hobbyist or anything else he wants to call himself. I simply don’t like a liar and that’s all he has shown thus far. I can totally disagree with another’s views on conducting business, methods of doing signs or even his brand of beer, but again, I don’t like a liar. Repeatedly, he has shown those tendencies as I have pointed out as well as almost everyone else here as to his true colors. I’m not the sergeant-of-arms here at :signs101: and have no idea what you see in this KPC, but that’s entirely up to you who you pick as friends.

I’d like to answer some of your other accusations, but frankly, they don’t make sense to me. :help:

Again, I don’t view this as bashing a newbie by any means. I also don’t think, a select few here bash newbies, either. If they [newbies] can’t take constructive criticism, then that’s just too bad. I’ve never been accused of being tactful, just honest and to the point and if the truth hurts, well, so be it.

Your take on this whole matter puzzles me, Bradster. If you’re everything you claim you are and also don’t know anything about this industry, why is it impossible for you to be the only person here that doesn’t recognize the facts ?? Also, why in your last thread does it sound like your actually talking as if you were KPC ?? Now I’m confused… or it's 'Twilight Zone' time.

Anyway, bringing a thread back to life was explained in my first sentence… so please go back and read it again. I’ve seen threads brought back after weeks, months and more. I’m sorry, but I didn’t know of that rule.

Now, for your most ridiculous statement of all. I have no problem with a competitor opening up across the street, even if he knows what he’s talking about or has talent. Many of our customers are other sign companies around town, in neighboring towns and even some down where you are, if you’re indeed from Florida. Our retail customers come from all around the area and are both local and national accounts for us. No, we have no competitors in the area that are even remotely at odds with us. Many of the other sign companies use us as a satellite shop from time to time. We do quite a bit of third party work for companies from all over the country. No Bradster, you’re barking up the wrong tree on all counts with your accusations. Next time get your facts straight before you go around pointing fingers. Once you understand a situation fully, then start throwing your weight around. It doesn’t take a sign person to see through KPC’s farce. I’m surprised you can’t. :thankyou:

Flame

:Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

Sign people think they're such artists. hahahaha

Wake up folks. We aren't better than anyone else. We're just people who have done our job enough times we're good at it. I get the feeling a lot of you feel like you're "special". How so? Cuz you make a living making signs? Big deal. It's just a JOB.

Lay off. Everyone knows a job isn't easy right away, it takes practice. Some catch on sooner than others, but it's just like anything else in life.

Oh yeah... and Bradster, you have me confused on this one. Not in a bad way really, just confused.

And OP... oh never mind.

This is funny. And people don't think it's newbie bashing.:Big Laugh I guess it's my turn to be bashed now though...:Sleeping:

It's just a JOB.

Flame - For years people would say that I was just "a mechanic". Then all of a sudden everybody wanted to be my "friend". In any business there are lessons to be learned - and they cost some way or form. Invest nothing - get nothing.

Maybe in the case of clicking on "print" it can be considered a job. Come on now.....are your mc graphics just a "job"? You know better than that !LOL!

If your work is just a job, send me your files so that I may cruise the moto-x events....!LOL!

madisonsignguy

Yea just a Job, Come on.....

Working at Mcdonalds is just a job.

And what about when it's your company, is it still just a Job.

When you find something you are really good and enjoy doing it stops being just a job. If it is just a job to you, then maybe you should figure out what makes you happy and go do that.