• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nice Tools for Cutting Coroplast

MikePro

funny this thread pop'd up... as i was just telling my graphics-gal at work yesterday, that one of my top3 tools in our graphics department was my coro-cutter, "SuperFrog".
Now 8 years later, we're still using the same tool and it still works like a charm!

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

just in case people don't click on the links... thought maybe that first pic is just a safety ruler and knife.

here's a better pic
attachment.php

guideknife.jpg

MikePro

oops, i was wrong... apparently my "SuperFrog" coro-cutter was actually a "Plast-Kut" but just had a SuperFrog sticker on it when we bought it 8yrs ago and I just got used to calling it by that name :)

Still works great 8+ years later and still in my top3 favorite tools in the shop!
IMAG0317.jpg

i SHOULD look into that safety ruler... as I've chopped my finger 3 times in the last two years! (trips to E.R. for all of them, but always back to work within a couple hrs... have yet to miss a day of work due to injury in 14yrs!)

Mosh

Plasti-cut are the best. I lost mine and got a coro-claw and they are flimsy! I since found my plasti-cut and tossed the coro-claw in the trash. That P-C is 9-10 years old and still AWESOME!

GypsyGraphics

i haven't cut myself YET... but trying to get a clean cut on 8 mil coro just wasn't happening for me... even clamping down my straight edge... wasn't good enough. the more pressure i have to use to get the cut, the more likely my hand is to waver.

so having the knife attach to the guide is a great solution for me.... essentially goof proof!

TheSnowman

I'd recommend one of these too. It's made by saw-trax but it cuts the flutes of 10Mil Cor-X really easy and is awesome. I think I got it on amazon.com for like $38.50. Totally worth it and only used it on one job. Just got it Friday though too.

Attachments

• image-3403941590.jpg
    image-3403941590.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 149

GypsyGraphics

I'd recommend one of these too. It's made by saw-trax but it cuts the flutes of 10Mil Cor-X really easy and is awesome. I think I got it on amazon.com for like $38.50. Totally worth it and only used it on one job. Just got it Friday though too.

Just got off the phone with Saw Trax... there was an error on my invoice of $20. Told them i was going to order the Cor-X for 10mil ($29) so they could just bill me the difference. There sending it out NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE because of there error.

COOOLiiiiioooo!

oh, and she said it will work for 8, 10 & 12 mil.... puuuuurfect!

Custom_Grafx

That looks pretty cool, and inexpensive. I just forked out last month on a keencut javelin - have to say it is one of the better purchase decisions I have made this year. Amazing tool to have in the shop - safer, more accurate, reliable and strong. Thumbs up to anything that takes away the danger, while making it easier to cut straight every time. If I ever need to advise anyone starting out on what is necessary - I will not hesitate to tell them "something to help you cut straight and protect your fingers". I am lucky enough to not have damaged my fingers in the last 5 years with my manual methods.

dsmskyline

I use a Keencut Excalibur for board material as I am rarely lucky enough to be cutting anything from a sheet smaller than 4'x8'.

Ive been looking at those straight edges that have knife attachments when I need to cut anything longer than 5'. I can usually get by on using my straight edge and like 5-6 light passes to make sure I dont jump flutes if the board isnt perfectly square(or the print isnt square).

Thanks for the tips GG.

Techman

instead of coded links. Why not just put the url in there. Those coded links do not work right in all computers.
its comes back as a 404 error.
Also, the coded link back to sings 101 requires a log in to work.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We have had a KeenCut Javelin (104") for about seven years, now. It came with a box of maybe two dozen awesome blades... I just counted them and I have about 18 left. Should be good for a while...

CentralSigns

I just use the wife's good sewing scissors to cut out coro curves. Risky business if I ever got caught. But works good most of the time.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
The corro claws are good - but I bought the Biddi knife & it went blunt in no time-with not much use.
Can't figure out how to change the blade though...

wedosigns

I use the coro-cutter. I have had it for five years now. My boy (3 yrs old) has bent the claws so many times I could not count. Still does what it does and is great! I also use a 24" old school paper cutter to cut across the flutes, which works great for custom sizes or short runs.
I have my coroplast suppier cut down to size for an extra $1 per sheet on large runs. Saves so much time.
What I would like to know is why does everyone make 24"x18" yard signs?
Why not 24x16 cuts into a sheet evenly!