• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No more Paypal for me!!!

brdss

One other tip if you sell a lot on feebay. Use a seperate bank account at a seperate bank to deposit all of your paypal deposits and make sure you keep that balance low! Thay have been known to do all sorts of things, such as freeze funds, etc. Better safe than sorry.

WildWestDesigns

I don't know if I'm just wanting to see a pattern or what, but it appears to me that those that really have had truly bad experiences with PayPal tend to also be when they used Ebay. I'm wondering if it's more of an issue with Ebay and it's use of PayPal, then just using the PayPal service on it's own.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't know if I'm just wanting to see a pattern or what, but it appears to me that those that really have had truly bad experiences with PayPal tend to also be when they used Ebay. I'm wondering if it's more of an issue with Ebay and it's use of PayPal, then just using the PayPal service on it's own.

Speaking for myself, I've never sold anything on ebay and use PayPal primarily as the online credit card processor for my businesses.

CoCut USA

that being said,

i use them all the time and have never had a problem.

Nor have we, albeit we do not sell on eBay, which is its own potential nightmare.

I like that our customers' payment info is secure, even from us. PayPal no doubt has a huge staff working 24-7 on security. No way I can keep our site as secure. So I really like the insurance policy on never losing customer payment info, and am willing to take a small percentage loss for the added security.

And our customers can pay with lots of options: any credit card practically; checks even; bank transfers ...

On balance, I like it, for our customers. And we're yet to be burned in anyway, which even that would be worth it if it happened 1% of the time and 99% of the time our customers get uber security and more payment options.

Just my opinion.

WildWestDesigns

Speaking for myself, I've never sold anything on ebay and use PayPal primarily as the online credit card processor for my businesses.

I haven't either. Which is what is making me think it has something to do with the conjunction of Ebay and PayPal. Something about Ebay just never appealed to me. I'm surprised that some people here would want to deal with it as it seems to me like it would be "tire kicker" heaven.

signswi

A forum I was a member of collected over $100,000 to buy armor for the troops back in like '05 and paypal froze and ultimately closed and rejected all the funds for basically no reason whatsoever. A couple years later we tried again, raised another mid-five figure sum for Hurricane relief, same deal, Paypal screwed us again. Anyone on that forum pretty much hates Paypal forever now (~60,000 members at the time, over 120,000 members now...).

Worst 'service' on the internet and only regulated as a bank in a handful of states.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A forum I was a member of collected over $100,000 to buy armor for the troops back in like '05 and paypal froze and ultimately closed and rejected all the funds for basically no reason whatsoever. A couple years later we tried again, raised another mid-five figure sum for Hurricane relief, same deal, Paypal screwed us again. Anyone on that forum pretty much hates Paypal forever now (~60,000 members at the time, over 120,000 members now...).

Worst 'service' on the internet and only regulated as a bank in a handful of states.

Outrageous. I would expect that PayPal would be out of business just from the bad PR from anything like that. What eventually happened to the funds?

royster13

Last year PayPal transacted $92,000,000,000.00.....Must be a lot of folks that do not like them to do that little business.....lol.....

smdgrfx

PayPal

+1 for PayPal. Been a member since 1999. 3 active accounts. Thousands of transactions. 2 problems resolved in my favor. I've done $10 to $3500 transactions and it always seems safe to me. The small transactions fees are worth the security factor. With the business accounts, I have instant access to money via the PayPal debit cards.

signswi

Outrageous. I would expect that PayPal would be out of business just from the bad PR from anything like that. What eventually happened to the funds?

All refunded without incident so there was no money lost, but it killed what were two very generous fund raising attempts.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
If someone wants to screw you over, they will figure out a way and use Paypal as their method to do so. I cannot imagine a company that does this many transactions wouldn't have some problems here and there.

phototec

I have used PayPal for hundreds of transactions, both sending and receiving funds, a few issues here a there (less than you can count one one hand), and always resolved in a professional manner and I can add, in my favor.

It's the best way to receive funds without a FEE, just have the sender select the GIFT option, and you will not have to pay any fees on the receiving end.

It's one of the best ways to have FRAUD PROTECTION with ebay transactions, whenever I have purchased something on ebay, and received the item and if there was anything wrong with the item or it didn't match the description, PayPal has sent me a refund within 24 hours.

We don't have the benefit of the FULL story from the OP, meaning, there are usually two sides to every issue, and we don't know the FACTS are from PayPal's point of view. PayPal could be doing an investigation of the transaction and it could cause the delay, etc.

I used PayPal back before it was acquired by eBay for $1.5 billion, I and I can tell you, it has only gotten much better.

I will continue to use PayPal as me preferred method of transferring funds!

:thumb:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I guess the only part I would caution about the "gift" option is come tax time. The new policy for paypal starting this year is that they are informing the IRS on anything over xxx number of dollars or xxx number of transactions in a calendar year. If you use it alot, this may raise some eyebrows. Not sure on the dollar amount nor tax rules but I would be a bit leery of doing so

phototec

I guess the only part I would caution about the "gift" option is come tax time. The new policy for paypal starting this year is that they are informing the IRS on anything over xxx number of dollars or xxx number of transactions in a calendar year. If you use it alot, this may raise some eyebrows. Not sure on the dollar amount nor tax rules but I would be a bit leery of doing so

Only done it a few times, last month I did a logo design for someone, it was a rush job and I requested a 50% deposit by PayPal, the guy was great and said, just let me send you the entire amount right now, and offered to send the $200 as a gift so I wouldn't have to pay any fees.

However, I will look into the NEW IRS amounts, to be aware of what data PayPal will be sending to the IRS.

Thanks for the info. :thankyou:

Mosh

I do all my transactions in "chickens and pies"!!!!

IM000618a.JPG

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Look at what this thread has caused. After I praise my experience with them, now I find myself in a dispute with PayPal over a debit card for one of my accounts.

The account lists my P.O. Box as my business address and then my street address as my home address. This has always been just fine with them since we moved our businesses home in 2007. So my debit card comes up for renewal and they email me a "no-reply" email that I need to check that my address is correct because they cannot mail a debit card to a P.O. Box. I check and my street address is is entered correctly.

It pops into my head today that I never received the renewal card so I go to PayPal and log in. The card is listed as non-renewable and I am invited to reapply. So I do and I am declined within five minutes. Next, I receive an email informing me that my account is now restricted until I supply them with a photo ID, proof of street address and proof of social security number.

So I do so and followed up with an email to them recounting what has transpired. I'm sure that until then, no human being has ever been involved except me spending a lot of time dealing with their system. We'll see what happens next.

thewvsignguy

We also use PAYPAL for 40% of our online sales and have for 1000's of transactions through them also. Maybe 3-4 small/minor issues with them in the last 8-10 years of using them.

We use a PAYPAL debit card linked to our paypal account and get 1% cash back every month it (used to be 3% years back). That 1% cash back makes more money in a month then our money market account per year.

We upgraded to the PAYPAL website payment pro account last week for only our website payment proccing. We pay $50 a month for V/MC/D & AMEX acceptance and fraud protection with 2.5% and a .30 processing fee. Once we get over 10k a month hump the rate will drop the 2.2% as Fred stated.

just my .02
:popcorn:

gfgraphics

Fred- I wish you the best- that is the exact same way mine started. P.o. box etc. , then debit card refusal, account limited/ Then they want 3 pcs of info for proof that it is you, and then when I did all that, back to normal it went , for three days.

Must put a red flag on accounts and then zappo.

GOOD LUCK