• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No more Paypal for me!!!

visual800

I have been selling on ebay for the past 8 years now and I "loved" it. Back then you buy something you mail the person a check or money order and they send you item. NOW? we have paypal. Paypal is a POS! But its all we got to accept cards and its a fast way to pay. I have an account open for JUST paypal only. When money is depositied in that account it is quickly moved out to another account online. I keep about $20 bucks in my paypal and I have never had them lock my account down.

Paypal is owned by ebay and thats 2 evils working together. There are so many scams on ebay now paypal is out of control. locking accounts, holding money. its ridiculous. Get a seperate account for paypal and keep it cleaned out, its no fun for them to hold your money of $20!

I left ebay about 7 months ago and went off searching for another auction site.....take my word for it ebay is #1 and the others suck! and YES! I tried them. They have no traffic and my items just sat there for weeks not moving. Went back to ebay with head dropped and ass still on fire and listed the items and had them gone in a weekes time. Its a damn shame but it is what it is.

Take my advice on paypal and keep that account cleaned out

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another + for PayPal here. Over 19,000 transactions over about 10 years. Maybe 3 problem ones and all quickly and easily resolved.

Hillmann

I recently tried to log into my paypal account to check the balance (was expecting it to be a little over $1000 in there) When I tried to log in I couldn't remember my password and when I tried to reset it I couldn't remember the answer to my second security question.

I called there help line and after a few minutes dealing with the, "press 1 for..." system I got to talk to an actual person. And to verify I was who I said I was the only question he asked was what is my address.
So I gave him my business address.
He said it wasn't the address they had on file.
I gave him the po box number.
He said it wasn't the address they had on file.
I gave him the address that all my bank statements go to.
He told me that the address they had was in Almena. (which is where my house is)
So then I finally gave him that address. With that he was happy and allowed me to reset my password.

So, I am actually somewhat bothered by how easy it was to get access to my account, I thought for sure that once I gave him the third wrong address that red flags should be popping up and that there was no way I was going to be given access to my account.

Joe Diaz

I guess I should have caught this thread earlier before I used paypal when selling our printer.

First, as soon as we sold the printer, I got a call from paypal. They noticed a large increase of funds and they wanted to make sure everything was on the up and up. Great! I'm glad they did that. While on the phone with that rep, I asked how soon I could expect to get my money. He said 3 days after proof that the buyer had received the printer. The buyer received the printer, I had my proof. Great 3 more days. 3 days are nothing. I can do that.

Wrong. Apparently I'm not a certain type of member or I don't have a high enough rating... something like that. Now I have to wait 20 days. I then call to see what was up. I was hoping to get that money before Christmas. Unfortunately their was nothing I could do about it. I told her the guy I talked to before said I could have it in about 3 days. She said he shouldn't have said that, and now she is reporting him and he was going to be reprimanded, almost as if she wanted me to feel bad about it. (I'm glad he's getting in trouble for giving me bad information) I asked her if there was anyway to speed up this process, what information does she need? I guilt tripped her and told her I was hoping to use those funds to buy gifts for Christmas. But she had a pretty thick accident and I now wonder if she celebrates Christmas at all? So that strategy most likely failed.

So 21 days later, and two days after Christmas, I'm finally able to transfer funds. I log in and go to the transfer section. I set up my bank account information, and attempt to send it all over.

NOPE. I can only transfer $500 a month. At that rate I'll get it all out of there in about a year and a half. But have no fear, there is a way to lift that limit. Lift it to what? I don't know. But I'm beginning to see the light.

So NOW I have to enter in my social (which I hate doing), then do this process where they charge my bank account a buck or two, I then will need to look at my statement for that transaction and some pin, then enter it in at paypay. That, however, could take an extra 2-3 MORE days to show up in my statement. Luckily I have online access to my statement. If I didn't I would have to wait God knows how long for that to come in the mail. Then once I finally do see that in my statement, I have to wait 3-5 more days for it all to transfer, and I still don't quite know how much I will be able to transfer at a time.

Now when I called the first time to ask about lessening those 20 days so I could get MY money a bit quicker, you would think that the could have given me a heads up to let me know that I would need to "link my accounts" so I wouldn't have to wait even longer when they finally do become available. In fact, it would have been really nice if they would warn their customers of the amount of time it will take for them to receive their money before they even chose to use paypay. But that's just crazy talk I guess.

PLUS, I don't get why they need to charge extra to transfer funds to my bank account when they already made several hundreds off of this transaction. (other than the obvious reason: greed.) They want me to buy everything through my paypal account, so they can make even more money. Throw a guy a bone paypal, you already made your buck off of me, just give me my money.:banghead:

I guess the silver lining is that I may not have to file this on this years taxes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

royster13

Why would when you relieve the money matter for taxes?...This sounds like a 2011 sale in my mind but I have to admit i am no accountant...

Graphics2u

I guess I should have caught this thread earlier before I used paypal when selling our printer.

:rolleyes:

Joe, that stinks! I can't believe you seem to have as good an attitude about it as you do!

In reply to something someone said earlier about the obvious connection between ebay and Paypal, about 2 years ago i had a situation come up and I found out that if your transaction is done outside of ebay through paypal, as a buyer you have much less chance of resolving a dispute with the seller. In my case I was sent a defective part, obviously broken and the seller acknowledged that. But since it was done outside of ebay the only thing paypal cared about was that I recieved the shipment. I was told by paypal that it didn't matter if it was broken, dfective or even if it was the item I actually ordered, as long as I received something from the seller, they were out of the transaction at that point. Totally different set of rules than there is on ebay.

I lucked out because I had funded the transaction with my credit card through paypal and I had my credit card company stop the payment. That got their attention! All the sudden I had a resolution to the problem. :smile:

I have sold through paypal without any problems yet, but very few transactions, so who knows in the future.

anotherdog

Last year PayPal transacted $92,000,000,000.00.....Must be a lot of folks that do not like them to do that little business.....lol.....

at 2.5% that is something like 250 billion profit??? not counting the 20 cent transaction fee.

I would watch what you say about these people, thats a lot of income to throw around.

royster13

Not quite......Their gross revenue on payment processing was only 3.3 billion....And only about 20% of that (660 million) was carried to the bottom line..

Pat Whatley

Not quite......Their gross revenue on payment processing was only 3.3 billion....And only about 20% of that (660 million) was carried to the bottom line..

What are you....a former congressman? There is no such thing as ONLY when combined with $660 million.

RobbyMac

Last week my father had me sell a coin set on ebay for him (He doesn't know how to go about selling on ebay).
Auction went for 682$. Shipping was auto calculated to 32$ by ebay when the user chose their shipping method and zip code.
So in all, I received 714$ from the buyer.

THen come the fees.
Custom shipping fee, listing fee, ebay's cut...
Thing is, their cut comes off the TOP (After shipping is added). Wound up with 86$ in fees from ebay.
The best part is, their shipping calculator doesn't add the fuel fees from ups, nor insurance, so shipping really ended up 43$.
Of course, paypal takes their cut (21$) off the top as well.
So a 682$ auction, gets cut down almost $100 in fees alone. How the hell does anyone make money selling on there?

Locals Find!

Last week my father had me sell a coin set on ebay for him (He doesn't know how to go about selling on ebay).
Auction went for 682$. Shipping was auto calculated to 32$ by ebay when the user chose their shipping method and zip code.
So in all, I received 714$ from the buyer.

THen come the fees.
Custom shipping fee, listing fee, ebay's cut...
Thing is, their cut comes off the TOP (After shipping is added). Wound up with 86$ in fees from ebay.
The best part is, their shipping calculator doesn't add the fuel fees from ups, nor insurance, so shipping really ended up 43$.
Of course, paypal takes their cut (21$) off the top as well.
So a 682$ auction, gets cut down almost $100 in fees alone. How the hell does anyone make money selling on there?

So you paid 15% in fees that less than the commission you would pay a broker to sell a coin collection on your behalf

accent_signs

We have been selling on eBay since 2001 and used Paypal almost exclusively since it became part of eBay. Except for few minor issues, we have always been happy especially when it comes to Seller protection. If you follow the Paypal rules/procedures, they will protect you against credit card disputes/frauds and more.

J

john1

I love Paypal, they always have had my back when buyers tried to screw me but eBay plain out sucks. You honestly make no money unless your doing high volumes of orders on there. The fees are crazy.

visual800

The biggest discussion on ebay now is the fees. How people get on their and sell their dollar items is beyond me. You are nickel and dimed to death. its outrageous but as i said ebay has no competition. as far as paypal getting sued its all class action and thats a crock! they need to be shut down but until big brother or governing owns your a$$ you can do as you please

signswi

I love Paypal, they always have had my back when buyers tried to screw me but eBay plain out sucks. You honestly make no money unless your doing high volumes of orders on there. The fees are crazy.

You know they're the same company right?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Never had a problem with PayPal. We use it regularly. They have some hoops to jump through, but so does any bank.

I closed a business about 10 years ago, so I went to my bank and closed the accounts for it as well. About a month later a $10 auto-payment I forgot to cancel somehow re-opened the account. Since we closed the business' physical location we had mail forwarding set up, which as some of you know doesn't work 100% of the time. I didn't find out about it until a year later when a collections agency tracked me down for over 20 times the original amount. This was my fault in many ways, I should have given the bank a forwarding address, but I wrongly figured that if since the account was closed, I was done with it. Rookie mistake.

The nice thing about PayPal is that you have a lot more control over your auto payments and they generally won't let an account go negative, especially after you close it. The buyer is well protect, and as a seller, we just have not had any issues. We follow their rules, and pay less per transaction than our CC processor generally does.