• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sign related but could use some advice

thewvsignguy

So we are going to use the internet from our shop that is only 150ft from our house. Comcast is just getting out of hand and we do not watch that much TV so we are getting rid of it in the house. So the shop has business class internet and I want to "Bridge" that service to the house.

http://tycononline.com/EZ-BridgeLT5-80211an-Point-to-Point-Wireless-Bridge-System_p_12.html

Does anyone have any input on these systems or maybe a better option then the one above?

Thanks

thewvsignguy

Wi-fi works up to 300 ft........

Eh, yea it might work some of the times. As I sit here I can get access from the house but it's not very strong. Plus from what I understand the bridge will allow me to set up a separate network in the house. I hope not to turn on the wifi in the shop, all computers are hardwired.

TXFB.INS

Cat 6 Cable

IMO wireless is the last resort for that distance, the walls of the house, weather, etc... will all reduce the strength of the of the signal

it would better to run a Cat 6 Cable, in a protective sleeve, from the shop to the house and then set up a router in the house and this is where you set up a separate wireless base so you have better strength
This will ensure the wifi in the shop and house are separate and at max strength

What your looking at would work perfect. Those can go a couple miles with line of sight. So going a few hundred feet shouldn't give you any issue. I would be more worried about any sort of lag when trying to stream. Going from comcast to wireless bridge to wifi might be too much wireless. Not sure. I believe ususally both networks will have their own internet source. and the bridge is mainly for file sharing and accessing files on the other network. Not sure how well it will stream internet.

Techman

The best idea as mentioned above is run a cat 6 cable and be done with it. It will work with no loss of speed. or any other worries. I've tried the bridges and they work,, but sometimes require a reboot etc.. A real pain at times. Went to a cable and if the internet access is on every thing else is on.

Also no need for extended systems. When you add a bridge some require a new name for the extended LAN. A real pain.

ChrisN

Best thing would be a cable (make sure it's an outdoor rated one). Next best would be something like this: Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. Get 2 of them and set up a wireless bridge. We use similar products for our LED boards. For best results, they need to be line of sight with no obstructions; and at only 150 ft, alignment should be easy.

However, at 150' I would recommend a cable unless you have to go over a road or someone else's property. Just make sure you have surge protectors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R20OIAY/) at both ends to prevent lightning strikes from frying your network.

thewvsignguy

It's to much rock and gravel to run the cable underground, overhead will not work either. That was my first thought but it needs to be completed by next Monday, time I don't have...

I did order the bridge set in my first post, will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Drip Dry

Not to put rocks in your pocket but... how legal is this ?

Seems to me me you have an account for the business, and a separate one for home. 2 separate customers in the eyes of the cable company.
Isn't this like running a cable from your neighbors house ?

thewvsignguy

Not to put rocks in your pocket but... how legal is this ?

Seems to me me you have an account for the business, and a separate one for home. 2 separate customers in the eyes of the cable company.
Isn't this like running a cable from your neighbors house ?

I see it as 100% legal and yes I did look into that.

I still work from home and my wife has her office in the home. So being that work is being done why is that not legal.

How many of you do personal stuff on your work computers???? It's the same difference.....

LeiftheLucky

what about a wifi extender?

I had a similar problem in my house which is a weird shape and spread out with the wifi in one corner and my room in the far opposite corner of the house. I got a wifi extender for like $20 and it brought 1 bar up to full bars. The one I bought was a cheap one also so I would think a better one would be even more useful. It was super easy to set up and solved my problem that I had been struggling with for quite some time. Just a thought.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
How many of you do personal stuff on your work computers???? It's the same difference.....

I get your point but it is not at all the same difference...

you are actively trying to splice your work internet to your private home. it is illegal in every sense of the word.

would i do it, yes, would i post about it on an open forum....no

thewvsignguy

I get your point but it is not at all the same difference...

you are actively trying to splice your work internet to your private home. it is illegal in every sense of the word.

would i do it, yes, would i post about it on an open forum....no

TdA5PlJ.gif

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should, cause if you don't, you could have easily just opened a can of worms with someone.

Doing things illegally and then being bold and somewhat silly about it is very irresponsible. You mentioned your wife runs a home-based business out of the house. How is she gonna write it off..... or are you not going to use her business write-off ?? Do you both use the same overhead costs for both businesses ?? Are you both paying business privilege license fees ?? Does your accountant know how you are running things ?? Does your home owner's insurance realize you are running two businesses out of one address ?? In fact, do either of you have business insurance ?? Whose name is that registered under ??

See, when you post something silly like ddarlak mentioned, it can really open a can of worms, like I said....... if the right/wrong person wants to report you a$$. Then, ya gost a whole lotta splaining to do. :doh:

thewvsignguy

You should, cause if you don't, you could have easily just opened a can of worms with someone.

Doing things illegally and then being bold and somewhat silly about it is very irresponsible. You mentioned your wife runs a home-based business out of the house. How is she gonna write it off..... or are you not going to use her business write-off ?? Do you both use the same overhead costs for both businesses ?? Are you both paying business privilege license fees ?? Does your accountant know how you are running things ?? Does your home owner's insurance realize you are running two businesses out of one address ?? In fact, do either of you have business insurance ?? Whose name is that registered under ??

See, when you post something silly like ddarlak mentioned, it can really open a can of worms, like I said....... if the right/wrong person wants to report you a$$. Then, ya gost a whole lotta splaining to do. :doh:

what I'm doing is 100% legal so for God's sake Gina, go take your meds....:ROFLMAO:
b0b4q_s-200x150.gif

ProPDF

Had the same thing happen years ago. Request a run and bury from comcast when the tech comes out. A general customer service agent will probably have no idea how to input it in their system. The tech will have to come out and put in a order with their manager. The manager signs off and a third party contractor comes out and runs everything for free no matter the gravel or ground type. If it's a long distance they will just use thicker cable. It's going to take some pushing but they will do it. If you need it done quick HD should rent out the tool to do it yourself.

particleman

I would suggest you look at a more popular brand. Our local WISP (Wireless ISP) uses Ubiquiti Gear, it is reliable and very affordably priced. Oddly I just helped a friend of mine do the same thing you are trying to do from about the same distance. We used two of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-000...RID=V7GJMAEM90Z414G40G1T&ref_=pd_aw_sbs_147_2

They max out at 300mbps and get full signal at 100ft, although they were from several miles with line of sight.

You would follow these instructions to setup the bridge.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/arti...int-to-Point-Link-Layer-2-Transparent-Bridge-

I will also point out the reason WHY he setup a wireless bridge. Running cat5/6 in the air on under the ground long distances can be extremely prone to surges from lightning, not even direct lightning. My particular friend fried 4 ports on his switch and two routers before I finally convinced him to use a wireless bridge instead of a cat 5 cable. I have had similar experiences. If you want wired then you need to purchase a pre terminated fiber optic cable to length and buy two media converters. This isn't terribly expensive either.