Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what u call this piece

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by futuresigns~pa, Apr 8, 2018.

  1. futuresigns~pa

    futuresigns~pa New Member

    Thank you i will look more into this!
  2. futuresigns~pa

    futuresigns~pa New Member

    is this the one you use?
  3. signbrad

    signbrad Member

    Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    RoccoG is right. I spoke off the top of my head without researching.
    Greenlee does not make a draw-bolt type D-punch this big. All their big punches are round (like for conduit). My D-punch is larger than any of the Greenlee D-punches and has no markings on it at all. I assumed it was a Greenlee. Now that I look at it, I have no idea where it came from. It may be that Greenlee made them this big at one time, but they list only three sizes of D-punch now, all smaller.

    My punch is probably close to 30 years old. I thought I got it from Glantz, and when I talked to a Glantz rep today he thought they sold one like it at one time, the kind with the threaded draw bolt, but not now. He also said they no longer show Greenlee as a vendor.
    His price sheet does show a D-punch, but it is not listed in the catalog. He said it is the SignComp punch. They don't stock it, but they can order it in from SignComp.
    It's pricey but it would last your lifetime.
    It's simple to use. You drill a pilot hole and then hit the punch with a hammer.
    Here's a link:

    D-Punch Assembly Results Page 1 :: Wensco Sign Supply

    I would think that any competent toolmaker could build a draw-bolt type D-punch for lampholder holes that could be adapted to cordless battery power.
    This is a video of the Greenlee Speed Punch system, showing how quickly it can punch holes in sheet metal. If a D-punch were adapted to this tool it would be useful for sign building.

    • Like Like x 1
  4. tommythesignguy

    tommythesignguy Active Member

    I've done some repairs on sign cabinets where I didn't have this tool and used a metal hole saw. Turn it at an angle where it cuts three quarters of the hole. score the straight edge and then break off the tab.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mans59

    Mans59 New Member

    Oct 3, 2017
    I go back to your first post in this thread. "Pancake Socket" I have been in the industry for over 20 years and still enjoy hearing the different terms that people/companies standard products used by most of us. That was the first time I have seen that term.

    One term that I remember from my first year in the industry was someone came in and told me that we were out of "Face screws". I know hardware but had never come across that type of screw. After looking thought all of my resources I had to go back and ask what he was using the screw for and he told me that they were the screws to hold the face to the can of a channel letter. Great name for that screw.

    I am sure those who have worked in different companies have run into this.

    Have a great week everyone...
  6. Rocco G

    Rocco G Member

    Feb 27, 2014
    Pennsauken NJ
    That's normal for different sign companies to call things different names. I've heard channel letters called "h" letters, "can" letters, etc. 1/2" screw-in greenfield connectors are called 'atomics', 1/2" pass thru's, etc. These sockets are called D-sockets, button sockets, butt-on sockets (might be the correct name but IDK), etc.

    I'll have to look and double check but am almost positive that I have a spare D punch. BTW, I did see one listed a while back on ebay but IIRC they wanted over a thousand bucks for it.

Share This Page