• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure what u call this piece

futuresigns~pa

Greenlee makes multiple sizes of metal punches, both for round holes and D-shape holes.
Here is a listing from their website for a punch that makes a D hole:

Greenlee 61080 Specifications:
• Hole Size: 0.625" x 0.594" (15.9mm x 15.1mm)
• Minimum Pilot Hole: .500"
• Capacity: 14 gauge mild steel

Greenlee 61080 Includes:
• Punch
• Die
• Draw Stud 34421
• Drive Nut 34733
• Counter Nut 04638

Greenlee 61080 Features:
• Maximum Capacity Mild Steel
• 14GA Mild Steel
• Operation Type: Hand/Hydraulic
• 'D' shaped Punch
• Optional adapter for hydraulic driver: 33967 (sold separately)

Greenlee 61080 'D' Punch Assembly 5/8" (.625 Diameter x .594 Flat)
Thank you i will look more into this!

futuresigns~pa

Greenlee makes multiple sizes of metal punches, both for round holes and D-shape holes.
Here is a listing from their website for a punch that makes a D hole:

Greenlee 61080 Specifications:
• Hole Size: 0.625" x 0.594" (15.9mm x 15.1mm)
• Minimum Pilot Hole: .500"
• Capacity: 14 gauge mild steel

Greenlee 61080 Includes:
• Punch
• Die
• Draw Stud 34421
• Drive Nut 34733
• Counter Nut 04638

Greenlee 61080 Features:
• Maximum Capacity Mild Steel
• 14GA Mild Steel
• Operation Type: Hand/Hydraulic
• 'D' shaped Punch
• Optional adapter for hydraulic driver: 33967 (sold separately)

Greenlee 61080 'D' Punch Assembly 5/8" (.625 Diameter x .594 Flat)
is this the one you use?

signbrad

RoccoG is right. I spoke off the top of my head without researching.
Greenlee does not make a draw-bolt type D-punch this big. All their big punches are round (like for conduit). My D-punch is larger than any of the Greenlee D-punches and has no markings on it at all. I assumed it was a Greenlee. Now that I look at it, I have no idea where it came from. It may be that Greenlee made them this big at one time, but they list only three sizes of D-punch now, all smaller.

My punch is probably close to 30 years old. I thought I got it from Glantz, and when I talked to a Glantz rep today he thought they sold one like it at one time, the kind with the threaded draw bolt, but not now. He also said they no longer show Greenlee as a vendor.
His price sheet does show a D-punch, but it is not listed in the catalog. He said it is the SignComp punch. They don't stock it, but they can order it in from SignComp.
It's pricey but it would last your lifetime.
It's simple to use. You drill a pilot hole and then hit the punch with a hammer.
Here's a link:

D-Punch Assembly Results Page 1 :: Wensco Sign Supply

Also....
I would think that any competent toolmaker could build a draw-bolt type D-punch for lampholder holes that could be adapted to cordless battery power.
This is a video of the Greenlee Speed Punch system, showing how quickly it can punch holes in sheet metal. If a D-punch were adapted to this tool it would be useful for sign building.

Brad

tommythesignguy

I've done some repairs on sign cabinets where I didn't have this tool and used a metal hole saw. Turn it at an angle where it cuts three quarters of the hole. score the straight edge and then break off the tab.

Mans59

I go back to your first post in this thread. "Pancake Socket" I have been in the industry for over 20 years and still enjoy hearing the different terms that people/companies standard products used by most of us. That was the first time I have seen that term.

One term that I remember from my first year in the industry was someone came in and told me that we were out of "Face screws". I know hardware but had never come across that type of screw. After looking thought all of my resources I had to go back and ask what he was using the screw for and he told me that they were the screws to hold the face to the can of a channel letter. Great name for that screw.

I am sure those who have worked in different companies have run into this.

Have a great week everyone...

Rocco G

That's normal for different sign companies to call things different names. I've heard channel letters called "h" letters, "can" letters, etc. 1/2" screw-in greenfield connectors are called 'atomics', 1/2" pass thru's, etc. These sockets are called D-sockets, button sockets, butt-on sockets (might be the correct name but IDK), etc.

I'll have to look and double check but am almost positive that I have a spare D punch. BTW, I did see one listed a while back on ebay but IIRC they wanted over a thousand bucks for it.