• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

not too happy with Paypal

Bill43mx

That sucks! We view Paypal as a "necessary evil" and expect at some point to get screwed. Buyer protection is a great thing but not when you screw the seller without even hearing their side!

Replicator

That is completely F'd up Eric . . . That really sucks, was it someone from this site ?

I would suggest if the payment is cleared that you remove the funds from PayPal immediately . . .

S

scarface

I had someone do the same to me once.

I contacted pay pal and they stood up for me since there product was received (proved it with shipping receipt)

It takes a few weeks but stick it out and let them know you mean business.

trik

That is way wrong, especially since they told you email how happy they were, total BS!!! I hope it was no one from here!!! Sorry Eric, I am getting angry just thinking about!!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
FWIW Eric, I've been going round and round with PayPal recently. This has been in two areas.

1. They have taken to "holding payment for review" every so often. I spoke with about five different people there about it. The standard response was that it is an increase in security measures, to protect me, and is set off by the buyer using a credit card instead of a PayPal account. I gave them lots of good arguments why they should not do it to my buyers ... one of whom was a major manufacturer known to many here. None of it did any good.

2. We had a reversal here recently of a $17.50 subscription fee. So I emailed the member and he replied that he didn't know anything about it. He got in touch with PayPal and they reversed the reversal with an apology that they had made a mistake.

Pat Whatley

Paypal sucks. I bought an item off Ebay and paid through Paypal. The debit card associated with the account had been lost so I'd canceled it and gotten another one but never updated Paypal so the transaction didn't go through.

I realized it when it rejected the payment, updated the information, transaction went through just fine, the guy I bought from got his money and shipped my stuff.

TO THIS DAY Paypal is stil trying to collect on the first payment and froze my Paypal account. I spent about 1/2 an hour one day trying to straighten it out before just saying screw them and giving up.

HaroldDesign

Keep us posted on this.
Google the ip address in the source code of the email communications you had with this person. Information varies, but it may lead you to a physical address that leads to a name. I had to do this once (not with Paypal).

cptcorn

adad
After this happened... If I was you, I'd stop accepting paypal...

A very close friend of mine (who owns a motorsports marketing company) used to run most of his transactions through paypal... Until someone disputed him and they froze his account, not because someone disputed him but it triggered paypal into thinking he was "making too much money" essentially. His assets were frozen for 90 days if I remember correctly, while they, "investigated"...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Removing the funds won't matter to PayPal... they take it out of your bank account without asking if the charge is reversed.

Eric - stick to your guns. You can provide documentation that the job was professional quality and delivered on time. PayPal definitely favors the seller in most cases and count on the fact that you'll just give up (like Pat).

And Pat? I'd check into whether they reported that on your credit report. If they did they HAVE to document the debt in order to collect it and you have the financial records to show that it was paid.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
yahoo email. I don't have a mailing address or phone number but I don't think it matters. If someone intends on taking advantage of you then they will give you incorrect contact info.

This has happened 2 times in 6 months which amounts to .1% of my pp transactions. But I was hoping of a way to avoid it and if nothing else alert someone else to how paypal is really not on your side

As someone said, necessary evil. Alot of my customers enjoy the convenience and one or 2 bad apples can ruin it. I'm just glad that it was not a significant amount. I may have to cap my paypal transactions to a certain amount and then insist on credit cards only

Replicator

After this happened... If I was you, I'd stop accepting paypal...

That's easy to say, but Paypal happens to be the preferred method of payments on the internet.

Any suggestions as to an alternative payment method, since you went there ?

Pat Whatley

Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover

I only use Paypal of ebay transactions due to the convenience factor.

Lunatic Taskbar

Eric thats a bad.

Reading what Fred said I am wondering if this is one of those "oh we made a mistake" type scenarios.

The "accidental mistakes" which are only reversed when you point them out type things.

I wouldn't yeald on this one. I would want to know who it was and why the reversal. Your customer could be your best help with this. Especially if they didn't reverse it.

Stick to you guns.

I am sure you would have a slew of people on here standing up for your quality of work me included.

Ian

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
a recent reply to that thread shows this important caveat...

Unfortunately, the Seller Protection policy does not cover the following:
"Services, intangible items, and digital goods"

I FLIPPING F-N hate paypal. BUT its what 99% of people use. It just sucks if you are the seller. There is no safety net for you

Steve C.

I don't know about reversals. But in 9 yrs with paypal I've had only 2
disputes and paypal worked to get my money back. One of them was almost
a year in dispute. I provided paypal with emails, etc. between me and the
customer. I, for one, am a happy paypal customer. so far. I figure some losses
are just part of doing business. Don't give up on it though. I also send
digital files and delivery is a litte harder to prove.

FatCat

Man, that really sucks Eric. I've been fortunate to not have any bad experiences - yet.

*Knocks on wood, throws salt over shoulder, does lucky dance...