• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not your everyday kinda sign deal.............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here’s a little twist to today’s events.

Had a few errands to run, so one was dropping me off to pick up our bucket truck. We had it being serviced by a hydraulics garage to make sure everything was copacetic.
While pulling up, I heard lots of loud noises and thought it was kinda unusual for the neighborhood I was in. Rather very residential with a church across the street, a fire house on the other corner, kids running around playing and just all kinds of stuff. Anyway, went back to the guy’s garage where he works on things and we no sooner started talking and the noise level went to screams and super loud noises. Then Rod [the guy’s shop I was at] said…. Did you hear that ?? No. He said the ‘Police Scanner’ just said there was some shootings and they happened to be right in his vicinity. In fact, after listening a little more, they were in the next block. In no time, there were about 15 police cars, ambulances and shotguns being racked all over the place. The cops shut down everything in about 2 minutes. Rod went in and got his gun, I pulled mine and we found out someone was shot and killed about 200’ away from us and another person wounded badly, but the actor or gunman was still armed and at large. Having the police scanner going, it was easy for us to know what was happening as the police found out. Anyway, we were shut down for about 20 minutes and found out there was another shooting about a block away at a church and ambulance backup was needed there, also. So, I paid my bill, drove off and saw quite a few cops I know from lettering their cars, but I was not about to start saying hi fellas at that point.

To make it short, last I heard…. some local resident went haywire and started shooting his neighbors and then barricaded himself in his house. It’s not even a hot day.

That’s probably the closet I’ve been to bullets buzzing around my own head. It still hasn’t sunk in it was so close I guess because we hear about it so often. It’s just that it’s usually downtown Reading and not 6 miles out….. where I am.

Last year we had SWAT break into a house about 2 blocks from our house and that started at 6:15 in the morning with grenades going off and then some machine gun blasts. That was a large drug bust and no one got hurt, but I’ll tell ya…… Anyone wanna know why carry…. It’s quite obvious, now !!

After I got back, I took the bucket out on my first job with it and kept my gun right by my side the whole time. Heck, I had a birdseye view if anything came down. :covereyes:

Really, what is this world coming to ?? :omg:

edgette

And people ask why I need to carry a gun...just in case.

Sorry to hear someone died there, hopefully the other person makes it out OK.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I saw he was taken out on a stretcher, but it looked like his upper torso or arm was wrapped in something. It wasn't clear what was hit on him.... chest, arm.... but he sure was screaming loud.

gabagoo

wow, you guys carry guns around!!!! Just out of curiosity, if your running around with a gun and the cops show up, how the heck do they know your not the shooter?

It would almost seem that you could get shot just having one with you

Craig Sjoquist

Garbago
Being certified to carry means you do not show ANY PART OF GUN unless your life is being threaten, at which point it is hopefully to late for intended target.

Well at least in this state no open carry yet. except when hunting.

CanuckSigns

Garbago
Being certified to carry means you do not show ANY PART OF GUN unless your life is being threaten, at which point it is hopefully to late for intended target.

Well at least in this state no open carry yet. except when hunting.

Out of curiosity, where exactly would you carry a gun on your person where none of it is going to be visible, lets say for example you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

Mosh

Glad your OK. EVERYONE here carries a gun, maybee that is why nothing like that happens here....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like mentioned..... you don't go around waving guns, unless you're looking for trouble.

I know most of the cops on this particular scene, but that wouldn't matter. You just show you have a permit to carry and as long as you haven't fired a shot, you're gonna be pretty much in the clear.

You can only pull a gun on someone when you feel your life or someone near you has their life being threatened. You can't pull it out if you're arguing or not getting your way. That would be assault on many levels. You will go to jail for that. If someone assaulted you and started running away, you can't shoot them in the back. If there are bullet holes in someone's back, evidently your life was not being threatened at the time of the shooting. You weren't defending yourself. If someone has too many holes in them.... in the front, it could also work against you if they can prove you weren't threatened at all... especially if the other guy doesn't have a gun. One or two well placed holes will stop the other person, if they don't have a gun. If you have someone with 5 holes in them all over the place.... you should probably be carrying a shotgun.... lol

I can carry a gun in my jacket, a holster, in the small of my back, I have pants with sewn in pockets just for carrying a small gun and ammo. I can wear a holster around my shoulders or belt if I like and let anyone see it. It makes many people uneasy, so I just always keep mine hidden from view.

I've seen guys and girls wearing shorts and a T-shirt and you'd never know they were toting.

Not with an inside the waistband holster like this nobody will ever know, can even get away with concealing using an outside the waistband holster in colder weather with a jacket/coat.

Here in Utah you can choose to conceal (with permit) or open carry, you aren't automatically thrown in jail if your shirt pops up and exposes your handgun while concealing like everybody thinks you will be.

C

ColoPrinthead

Crazy! I'm glad the cops didn't mistake you for the shooter when you pulled your gun out.

WildWestDesigns

One or two well placed holes will stop the other person, if they don't have a gun. If you have someone with 5 holes in them all over the place.... you should probably be carrying a shotgun.... lol

If they are pumped full of adrenaline (or drugs) then it would take a very very well placed shot to stop them.

I have a cop buddy back in my home town and he told me that one shooting he was involved in the other guy had 5 bullet holes in him before he finally went down. This guy never loaded six in his service revolver. He used to say that if you couldn't hit your target in 5 shots, then the six isn't going to do much good for you. Always thought he got that line from somewhere.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was actually in this guy's shop, looking out the window and then I stepped outside and watched from the alley. Again, I didn't get my gun out so to speak, but made it ready for firing, it was still holstered. I pretty much kept my hand on the gun. When I drove away, it was on the console.

Besides, these cops had a pretty good description of the guy and I'm nowhere near my early years of life. I have an almost white beard and not who the neighbors were describing at all based on the police scanner. They cops were talking quite freely as they got close to the house they thought the guy was in. It was..... this f**kin' this and f**kin' that and sh!tty lookin' house and they were ready to blow anyone away if they looked sideways at them.

I'm too innocent looking to have that happen to me............... :rolleyes:

C

ColoPrinthead

I was actually in this guy's shop, looking out the window and then I stepped outside and watched from the alley. Again, I didn't get my gun out so to speak, but made it ready for firing, it was still holstered. I pretty much kept my hand on the gun. When I drove away, it was on the console.

Besides, these cops had a pretty good description of the guy and I'm nowhere near my early years of life. I have an almost white beard and not who the neighbors were describing at all based on the police scanner. They cops were talking quite freely as they got close to the house they thought the guy was in. It was..... this f**kin' this and f**kin' that and sh!tty lookin' house and they were ready to blow anyone away if they looked sideways at them.

I'm too innocent looking to have that happen to me............... :rolleyes:
:Big Laugh
What kind of gun do you have? I need to pick up a new hand gun sometime.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they are pumped full of adrenaline (or drugs) then it would take a very very well placed shot to stop them.

I have a cop buddy back in my home town and he told me that one shooting he was involved in the other guy had 5 bullet holes in him before he finally went down. This guy never loaded six in his service revolver. He used to say that if you couldn't hit your target in 5 shots, then the six isn't going to do much good for you. Always thought he got that line from somewhere.

That's why at home I have shotguns. Tear yer a$$ in two with one shot.

I don't ever expect to do battle in the streets with a gun, but at least I'm prepared better than most if something comes at me. If I have to unload my whole gun into someone that far out... I'll do it. Rather them goin' down then me for counting how many bullets i just spent. Just might be their lucky day............ in my whispering voice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Big Laugh
What kind of gun do you have? I need to pick up a new hand gun sometime.

I have several. The one I carry on me is a snub-nose .38 detective special. It always has 6 in the chamber, a speed load with me and a box of 50 shells in every car door I own. Again, I don't expect to have a gun battle, but in case... I am prepared.

Another story... why I carry so many rounds with me. It's different in many parts of the country, but Reading has quickly become the HellHole of the Universe. That's probably why I'm more hard on welfare stories and worthless people among other problems. We have an overabundance of worthless lives around here. Afterall, we are the first in the nation for the poorest city in America, lowest poverty level, most shootings, most cases found a day and so on. So, I'm a little tainted. I've moved away from the city 26 years ago and the stuff is slowly creeping out to where our shop is and even where I live. Anyway, a few years ago, this man had his granddaughter in his car and was getting out, when two gangs opened up fire and this guy was in the crossfire of their battle. He jumped on the little girl to shield her from bullets going everywhere. His car had like 200 rounds in it after a few minute gun battle took place. He was still alive, but barely. The little girl was fine.... just scared and probably scarred for life. I feel, had I had a gun and lotsa bullets, I might've been able to fend for myself had I been in that guy's situation. Maybe.... maybe not, but I decided I was never gonna be left holding my d**k in the middle of something which is becoming so commonplace these days.

I took lessons and continue to take lessons on handling and using firearms for protection. I target practice with all my guns except my shotguns. I figure at close range, I'll hit anything in front of me. My wife practices with me and is quite a good shot, which sometimes scares me when we get to drinking...........:covereyes:

I don't feel any stronger or better, but I do feel somewhat more equal. Flesh will never stop a bullet, but another bullet might stop that first bullet from repeating itself. Up until now, there aren't many semi weapons being used, so I still feel my .38 is going to help me. At home, it's a matter of .357's, .22's .38's and some rifles and shotguns. Most of these punks can't fire a gun to save their lives, but they sure wield them around like they know what they're doing.

C

ColoPrinthead

Nice, I'm thinking of getting a 9 or .38. I own an inherited snubnose 22, cheapo 22 rifle, and have an old steel plated butt/no recoil pad Remington 12ga that came with my grand pa's house when he bought it. I want to pick up an SKS. I'm not so worried about ever using one for protection, I just think they're fun and good to have in the home.

OlsonSigns601

I have several. The one I carry on me is a snub-nose .38 detective special. It always has 6 in the chamber, a speed load with me and a box of 50 shells in every car door I own. Again, I don't expect to have a gun battle, but in case... I am prepared.

Glad you were safe and you did what I would have done too.

Don't you need a special C&C to have a revolver?

I wouldn't have my gun in my hands, but it would definitely be on me.

Not that I know much about these laws because I live in the great state of IL. I keep mine hidden legally in my car where I cannot easily access it. or as the law says it "Stored for travel in my trunk not loaded"

Wish IL would stop jacking around and get that bill passed.