• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Now its getting bad

rjssigns

The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs.

Rear Adm. Ziemer left "abruptly" of his own accord in 2018. John Bolton was responsible for dissolving the rest of the team that Ziemer oversaw. Bolton was later relieved of his duties.

Budget contained suggestions for cost savings at the CDC and NIH but never implemented.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just bought the usual....about a 1 year's supply...of what we normally use. So far, it isn't Y2K around here.

JB

Baz

With this Trump administration.
They are just as credible as China or Russia with their information now.
I don't believe a word they say.

WildWestDesigns

Apparently the wife was told to start telecommuting next week.

Thankfully we both do things that allow for that without too much disruption (more disruption for her then myself).

Schools already been told to stay out til at least toward the end of the month, now she is telecommuting exclusively starting next week.

Time to go into hermit mode.

James Burke

she is telecommuting exclusively starting next week. Time to go into hermit mode.

All Michigan public universities have closed and students will continue with courses online.

- - - - - - - - - - WHICH MAKES ME WONDER - - - - - - - - - -

Will the Internet be able to handle EVERYBODY doing EVERYTHING from home online?

JB

Joel golden

The part freaking everyone out is the unknown. Reports yesterday suggested only freakin 77 people were tested in the US this week. While test kits are becoming more available only one testing center is in operation for the whole US. It’s gonna take another week for everything to be put in place and quick testing to happen. Once that is in place, the numbers will sky rocket and the mortality rate will drop drastically to the 1% or less mark (still really highly by flu standards, but much lower than say Italy). 85% of those deaths will be the elderly and that’s the focus right now.

WildWestDesigns

James Burke said:
Will the Internet be able to handle EVERYBODY doing EVERYTHING from home online?

JB

It will be tested that's for sure. Probably help push for technologies into improving capacity. But with something like this, trends that were already slowly heading that direction are going to be shoved into that direction now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well then, I guess that would be Trump's fault too.... for not having the internet setup for this ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well then, I guess that would be Trump's fault too.... for not having the internet setup for this ??

He did mention that he'd be open to "closing parts of the internet". Maybe we can close off China and the UK and just keep the internet to ourselves... America first

C

ColoPrinthead

One of our photographers called in sick today, his roommate who also works in the photo studio was just sent home even though he was feeling fine.

I was joking earlier about getting my apartment wired for 220 and taking the 365 home.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
My wife's company (huge Pharmaceutical company in northern Illinois) sent out a company wide email that everyone who can, should work from home from now till further notice. that's 30k+ people.
Also, all the schools in our district are doing E-Learning at home this next week and are off for spring break the week after.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The Johns Hopkins University map is looks pretty slick (it kind of reminds of the big nuclear war display in the 1980's movie War Games). Unfortunately some of the data is out of date. It's currently not showing any cases in Colorado when actually the case load nearly doubled from the 30's yesterday to 72 today.

The NY Times has a more up to date US map of coronavirus cases here:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Joel Golden said:
The part freaking everyone out is the unknown. Reports yesterday suggested only freakin 77 people were tested in the US this week. While test kits are becoming more available only one testing center is in operation for the whole US. It’s gonna take another week for everything to be put in place and quick testing to happen.

The testing situation is just freaking ridiculous. It's a massive governmental failure. It mind-blowing to consider when coronavirus cases were starting to appear in Washington state federal officials blocked medical people from testing suspected patients for COVID-19. The doctors only found out and confirmed the early cases by defying fed orders and testing anyway.

And now testing kits are slowly starting to trickle out to various places. But anyone who suspects he or she might be infected with the new coronavirus has to jump through a bunch of hoops to get tested. You gotta get a doctor's referral and meet all sorts of other criteria. That policy just sounds very STUPID. We very likely have undetected, undocumented community spread happening now in various parts of the country. But we're going to make it hard for people to get tested when they want to do so voluntarily? What about trying to track down people who are infected and don't want to get tested? There's already liability issues with this. If you know you're infected with the new coronavirus and insist on going to work, school, public places, etc and pass it to other people you could wind up in all sorts of legal trouble. On top of all that, due to the lack of testing available it's likely some fatalities attributed to the flu were really caused by COVID-19.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's currently not showing any cases in Colorado when actually the case load nearly doubled from the 30's yesterday to 72 today.

It's cause our state lab has done the tests but haven't been confirmed by the CDC yet. They are calling them presumptive cases right now until confirmation is made. Glad we're doing something about it before that though!

James Burke

I honestly think we need to tap the Hollywood screen writers (Contagion, etc...) and pull some strategies from their playbook. They've obviously worked through the scenarios A LOT longer than some of our officials.

JB

StarSign

Here is the way it was explained to me about the panic and uncertainty. With the flu we have estimated general numbers each year on the amount of people who will get the flu. With this virus it is uncertain and due to the fact that the ones who get really sick will most likely need to be put on a breathing machine, that is the problem. If in your city of 100,000 3% or 3000 get this virus and 2% of these cases need breathing assistance (60) and your local hospital only has 30 breathing machines.......

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
James Burke said:
I honestly think we need to tap the Hollywood screen writers (Contagion, etc...) and pull some strategies from their playbook. They've obviously worked through the scenarios A LOT longer than some of our officials.

It certainly seems like Hollywood screenwriters have done more "homework" on this topic than our lawmakers. Nevertheless I still couldn't put any trust in the gang that keeps on vomiting out the Enhance That Photo bull$#1+ in so many movies and TV shows. They bend the truth or completely disregard it on lots of other matters relating to computers, police procedure, DNA testing, the military and more.

Val47

As of yesterday, we have no confirmed cases in our county.
Our state governor just declared mandatory school closures throughout the state - Starting Monday March 16th through April 24th. My child is old enough to stay at home alone now, but I can't imagine what I would do if she were younger, and leaving her home while mom and dad work isn't an option. I agree Tex - Now it's getting bad.

Val47

Not sure this has been posted elsewhere, but interesting updated data from Johns Hopkins re Cases/Deaths/Recovered by geography:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
just looking on the right side of that screen, the death/recovery rate is promising. At least for me, I something like that makes me realize there really is no reason to freak out - for my immediate family that is. I have parents and in-laws in their seventy's - my mom is super healthy, my father-in-law has some health issues. I worry about that for sure.