• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Now its getting bad

Eforcer

My guys keep saying, "eh, look how many people die of the flu every year!"
And I keep saying, "How many people do you know that have died from the flu. Quick question, what's 3% of the population of the US?"

Over 50,000 died of the flu last year. A littler over 18,000 so far. We now have learned that over 6000 "In The World" have died from this virus. Why is this getting so much attention? Asking people to stay home, forced closing of businesses in some ares. Why? Again this is a virus and I get it, you can contract from it from being in close contact. But this is not an airborne virus. Correct? Why would you tell us to stay indoors?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Over 50,000 died of the flu last year. A littler over 18,000 so far. We now have learned that over 6000 "In The World" have died from this virus. Why is this getting so much attention? Asking people to stay home, forced closing of businesses in some ares. Why? Again this is a virus and I get it, you can contract from it from being in close contact. But this is not an airborne virus. Correct? Why would you tell us to stay indoors?

People are being asked to stay home to minimize the risk of exposure/spread. Pretty simple really.
Nevermind comparing it to the common flu - that's getting old. I get the numbers are smaller, but do you really think almost every country in the world is overreacting right now?
Here in Canada they're closing, or have closed all the schools. Restaurants, museums, all sporting events, concerts, really all public spaces are closing one by one. Malls have limited hours but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they close them entirely. We're carefully analyzing our overhead costs and expenses for the next couple of months to make sure we can afford to ride this out.
I suggest those that still aren't taking this seriously might want to do so.
Yes there is panic due to all the social media exposure. Yes people are freaking out. But people should still (intelligently) take this seriously and do whatever they can to help reduce the spread.
Stay safe out there.

Baz

It is an airborne virus. It is why they want people who are infected to wear a mask as to not spread it.
Look at charts to see how rapidly this virus progresses compared to other viruses (it goes much faster)
The Chinese took drastic measures right from the start to try and minimize the spread of it.
They also had to build temporary hospitals for the huge increase in patients.
Italy's health system got overrun by it and doctors had to chose who to treat and who to let die because there is simply not enough respirators to help everyone infected.
The point of all these closures is to minimize the impact on hospitals. It's not like they were empty before this virus hit.

Last edited:

TimToad

Most of the people who die "from" the flu, actually die from a combination of the underlying illnesses they already suffer from and the compounding complications that catching the flu created. The percentage of flu deaths directly related to the flu and with few other underlying conditions is like .01%. This thing is expected to average in the 3-4% mortality in even healthy populations as well as leave survivors with anywhere from 10-30% PERMANENT lung damage.

Those are huge distinctions from something like this that is morphing its way through the population and starting to extend beyond just older folks with underlying illnesses and vulnerabilities. An otherwise healthy newborn in London just tested positive.

They don't know enough about it to definitively ascertain how its spread or if it will become airborne at some point.

Andy D

Some schools here are closing until the kids come back from summer break....
Closing elementary schools seems like a real bad idea to me, many elementary kids are too young to stay at home by themselves, the parents can't afford daycare or to miss a paycheck, so a large amount of the younger kids will get dumped on the grandparents, & they will end up getting sick.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If this gets ugly, is anyone worried about customers that have terms defaulting on payment?

A little. We just ran the numbers and if everyone stopped paying and jobs stopped coming in the door, we could cover our expenses and payroll for at least 2 months. Even though our cash reserves are in the best shape they've ever been, that still doesn't seem like quite enough. Still getting new orders though,(not as much as I'd like) and I have faith that our best/biggest customers will continue to pay and order during these times.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Baz said:
It is an airborne virus. It is why they want people who are infected to wear a mask as to not spread it.

The main thing they want people to do if they are sick is stay home. They should be doing that anyway if they merely have the flu.

The masks might help contain some of the ejected particles when a sick person coughs. But someone who is sick will still be able to pass along virses and other contagions merely by touching things. It doesn't take much for a sick person to get his hands contaminated. Anyone who has any hunch they might be infected with the novel coronavirus has to self isolate as much as possible and call a health care provider to see about testing.

The masks are pretty worthless for people who aren't sick. The N95 respirators are the only effective ones and they have to be specially fitted. Most people wearing masks are going to be touching the things to adjust them frequently, which gets the masks contaminated.

Val47

Shout out to all small business owners! I'm an employee, but I really understand what is happening and what is to come. This is really really bad for the little guys/gals where business is concerned. I have this week off work - completely unrelated to the pandemic. I had scheduled lots of personal appointments to take care of on my week off. Now, all of my appointments are slowly getting canceled. I hope there is work to do, when I go back to work next week. :eek:

Andy D

Hopefully the people working from home will see this as an opportunity to catch up on their back burner
projects, which signs and graphics tend to be....

Andy D

A face shield would be very effective and comfortable, especially if it was set up with
a fan pulling air through a filtering system.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A face shield would be very effective and comfortable, especially if it was set up with
a fan pulling air through a filtering system.

Never in a million years would I have guessed that my standard issue for the sandblast room would become in vogue. But hey, I guess anything is possible nowadays.

JB
s-l500.jpg

Val47

Some schools here are closing until the kids come back from summer break....
Closing elementary schools seems like a real bad idea to me, many elementary kids are too young to stay at home by themselves, the parents can't afford daycare or to miss a paycheck, so a large amount of the younger kids will get dumped on the grandparents, & they will end up getting sick.
SUMMER BREAK?! really? Our kids are out till the end of April. But the end of the school year? Maybe you mean Spring break? I hope. If they are out till the end of the school year, how can they complete their/that grade? Not good. I don't think my (only child) 12 year old can home school herself for the rest of the year. She can legally stay home while I and her dad work, but motivate enough on her own? we'll see, but I'm skeptical. Grandparents all live out of town for us.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Very quiet here, but it did take less than 15 minutes to get to work today instead of the normal 30-40 minutes.
Navy bases are going into an odd sort of lockdown with only mission-critical personnel allowed on base - during the week. Weekends - everyone authorized can go in. I guess the missions are less critical on Saturday and Sunday.
A local grocery chain is restricting the elderly going shopping to an hour between 5 to 6...... AM.
With schools and daycare closed some of my guys are scrambling to figure out how to get to work. Can't leave the little ones with grandma & grampa right now.
I think closing down and going fishing is looking better and better.

ChicagoGraphics

Look at charts to see how rapidly this virus progresses compared to other viruses (it goes much faster)
The Chinese took drastic measures right from the start to try and minimize the spread of it.
Italy's health system got overrun by it and doctors had to chose who to treat and who to let die because there is simply not enough respirators to help everyone infected.
The point of all these closures is to minimize the impact on hospitals. It's not like they were empty before this virus hit.
The Chinese didn't drasticly put measures right from the start, they waited over a month it was a dotor who tried to warn others that there is a virus just like sars but the police muffled him and 7 other doctors and even made them sign a document saying they we're spreading rummors a couple weeks later he died or taken out by the ccp. As for mask everyone should wear them they do help and the virus can stay airborn for upto 2 hours also if someone has the virus and touches a smooth surface it can last upto 9 days on the surface.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Was checking some other numbers. An average of 102 people die per DAY in traffic accidents in the US. Has anyone stopped driving? There's other numbers of other deaths, but point is....you're more likely to die in a car crash, from heart disease, from a stroke, etc, etc, etc....

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
. As for mask everyone should wear them they do help and the virus can stay airborn for upto 2 hours also if someone has the virus and touches a smooth surface it can last upto 9 days on the surface.
This just isn't true.
------------------------------------------
According to the CDC, spread from person-to-person is most likely among close contacts (about 6 feet). Person-to-person spread is thought to occur mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. It’s currently unclear if a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly