Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now its getting bad

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    As of yesterday, we have no confirmed cases in our county.
    Our state governor just declared mandatory school closures throughout the state - Starting Monday March 16th through April 24th. My child is old enough to stay at home alone now, but I can't imagine what I would do if she were younger, and leaving her home while mom and dad work isn't an option. I agree Tex - Now it's getting bad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    just looking on the right side of that screen, the death/recovery rate is promising. At least for me, I something like that makes me realize there really is no reason to freak out - for my immediate family that is. I have parents and in-laws in their seventy's - my mom is super healthy, my father-in-law has some health issues. I worry about that for sure.

3. Eforcer

Eforcer Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Throggs Neck, NY
    Over 50,000 died of the flu last year. A littler over 18,000 so far. We now have learned that over 6000 "In The World" have died from this virus. Why is this getting so much attention? Asking people to stay home, forced closing of businesses in some ares. Why? Again this is a virus and I get it, you can contract from it from being in close contact. But this is not an airborne virus. Correct? Why would you tell us to stay indoors?

4. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    People are being asked to stay home to minimize the risk of exposure/spread. Pretty simple really.
    Nevermind comparing it to the common flu - that's getting old. I get the numbers are smaller, but do you really think almost every country in the world is overreacting right now?
    Here in Canada they're closing, or have closed all the schools. Restaurants, museums, all sporting events, concerts, really all public spaces are closing one by one. Malls have limited hours but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they close them entirely. We're carefully analyzing our overhead costs and expenses for the next couple of months to make sure we can afford to ride this out.
    I suggest those that still aren't taking this seriously might want to do so.
    Yes there is panic due to all the social media exposure. Yes people are freaking out. But people should still (intelligently) take this seriously and do whatever they can to help reduce the spread.
    Stay safe out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

It is an airborne virus. It is why they want people who are infected to wear a mask as to not spread it.
    Look at charts to see how rapidly this virus progresses compared to other viruses (it goes much faster)
    The Chinese took drastic measures right from the start to try and minimize the spread of it.
    They also had to build temporary hospitals for the huge increase in patients.
    Italy's health system got overrun by it and doctors had to chose who to treat and who to let die because there is simply not enough respirators to help everyone infected.
    The point of all these closures is to minimize the impact on hospitals. It's not like they were empty before this virus hit.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Most of the people who die "from" the flu, actually die from a combination of the underlying illnesses they already suffer from and the compounding complications that catching the flu created. The percentage of flu deaths directly related to the flu and with few other underlying conditions is like .01%. This thing is expected to average in the 3-4% mortality in even healthy populations as well as leave survivors with anywhere from 10-30% PERMANENT lung damage.

Those are huge distinctions from something like this that is morphing its way through the population and starting to extend beyond just older folks with underlying illnesses and vulnerabilities. An otherwise healthy newborn in London just tested positive.

They don't know enough about it to definitively ascertain how its spread or if it will become airborne at some point.

7. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Some schools here are closing until the kids come back from summer break....
    Closing elementary schools seems like a real bad idea to me, many elementary kids are too young to stay at home by themselves, the parents can't afford daycare or to miss a paycheck, so a large amount of the younger kids will get dumped on the grandparents, & they will end up getting sick.

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    While true, all it takes is one sick kid to poison that well, then before you know it the 500 kids have 1,000 sick parents, and just say of that 1/2 going to work sick without knowing it.
    My 6 year old had her school closed today, and we are just fortunate that my wife stays home with the 2 year old anyways.

If you guys haven't done something like this already, feel free to borrow my template. We sent this out to all customers with active orders:
    Dear Customer/Vendor/Partner/National Account Manager/Sub Contractor,
    Due to the recent viral outbreak, we cannot guarantee execution of any project within the projected timelines. Material shipments have become disrupted, and due to the unpredictable nature of the pandemic, we will be considering this an Act of God if any delays are to occur. We appreciate your understanding. Stay safe.
    Many Thanks,

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  9. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    If this gets ugly, is anyone worried about customers that have terms defaulting on payment?

10. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    A little. We just ran the numbers and if everyone stopped paying and jobs stopped coming in the door, we could cover our expenses and payroll for at least 2 months. Even though our cash reserves are in the best shape they've ever been, that still doesn't seem like quite enough. Still getting new orders though,(not as much as I'd like) and I have faith that our best/biggest customers will continue to pay and order during these times.

11. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yes.

12. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    The main thing they want people to do if they are sick is stay home. They should be doing that anyway if they merely have the flu.

The masks might help contain some of the ejected particles when a sick person coughs. But someone who is sick will still be able to pass along virses and other contagions merely by touching things. It doesn't take much for a sick person to get his hands contaminated. Anyone who has any hunch they might be infected with the novel coronavirus has to self isolate as much as possible and call a health care provider to see about testing.

The masks are pretty worthless for people who aren't sick. The N95 respirators are the only effective ones and they have to be specially fitted. Most people wearing masks are going to be touching the things to adjust them frequently, which gets the masks contaminated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    Shout out to all small business owners! I'm an employee, but I really understand what is happening and what is to come. This is really really bad for the little guys/gals where business is concerned. I have this week off work - completely unrelated to the pandemic. I had scheduled lots of personal appointments to take care of on my week off. Now, all of my appointments are slowly getting canceled. I hope there is work to do, when I go back to work next week. :eek:

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Not just that, unless you're goggled up and a germ freak, you're just making your face sweaty.

15. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Hopefully the people working from home will see this as an opportunity to catch up on their back burner
    projects, which signs and graphics tend to be....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    A face shield would be very effective and comfortable, especially if it was set up with
    a fan pulling air through a filtering system.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think we are coming at this from the wrong angle, as this was truly solved by Leslie Nielson years ago...
    [​IMG]
    Social Distancing at its finiest!

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Never in a million years would I have guessed that my standard issue for the sandblast room would become in vogue. But hey, I guess anything is possible nowadays.

JB s-l500.jpg

19. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    SUMMER BREAK?! really? Our kids are out till the end of April. But the end of the school year? Maybe you mean Spring break? I hope. If they are out till the end of the school year, how can they complete their/that grade? Not good. I don't think my (only child) 12 year old can home school herself for the rest of the year. She can legally stay home while I and her dad work, but motivate enough on her own? we'll see, but I'm skeptical. Grandparents all live out of town for us.

20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Very quiet here, but it did take less than 15 minutes to get to work today instead of the normal 30-40 minutes.
    Navy bases are going into an odd sort of lockdown with only mission-critical personnel allowed on base - during the week. Weekends - everyone authorized can go in. I guess the missions are less critical on Saturday and Sunday.
    A local grocery chain is restricting the elderly going shopping to an hour between 5 to 6...... AM.
    With schools and daycare closed some of my guys are scrambling to figure out how to get to work. Can't leave the little ones with grandma & grampa right now.
    I think closing down and going fishing is looking better and better.

• Like Like x 2