• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nuke the Fax?

gabagoo

I still have a dedicated line for faxes, but it also serves as a third phone line for out calling, so for the $25 per month it is worth it. There are still a lot of people who are not computer savy and we still recieve orders. Not a lot mind you.

Mosh

gabagoo, get a good AT&T phone. We have 4 lines on ours, but only one phone line in. All four can talk at the same time no problem, plus internet. We have Time Warner cable phone/internet and only pay for one line.

Mosh

Magic Jack, one of my "baby mama's" has that. Look at the fine print, you pay by the minute used. They claim you don't but she will beg to differ.

Flame

Guess I'm still stuck in the '80s also. We get orders every day on our fax.

Hate to break it to ya but from what I've seen.... oh heck yah, you are.

hahaha

Haven't had a fax machine in a couple years. When people, once in a blue moon, ask for a fax # I just look at them with that "you use a whattttt...?" kind of look.

I can e-mail a pdf faster than a fax can load a piece of paper.

Mosh

Flame on... that is all I can think of when I see your pic! I think Rob Halford said that.

Pat Whatley

Magic Jack, one of my "baby mama's" has that. Look at the fine print, you pay by the minute used. They claim you don't but she will beg to differ.

Mosh, I've got to disagree completely. I've got one hooked up at the shop, my brother has three, and my next door neighbor is using one. NONE of us has ever seen a bill....I know because after seeing your post I called them and asked. The only thing I know they actually charge for is international long distance.

I think your "baby mama" is trying to suck a few extra bucks out of you.

TheSnowman

I think for those of you that say "The Fax is Dead" and don't have a fax machine anymore, that's why it's dead. Ours runs several times a day. From customers sending stuff to us, to order confirmations that we place w/ our vendors.

If you don't want to pay the $30/mo for the line, look into an alternative like VOIP or some online fax service. I'm sure they can be way cheaper than that. We run Vonage for like $15/mo, and it works good.

B-RAD Graphics

I hear ya...i just put it on the floor and the dust on it would make u sick..paper was discolored..lol..wdf..really i still pay for a fax line to...I am finished calling rt. now..Thank you...I could buy like 2qty 30 packs at least with that money!!! LOL

WILLIAMS

Take a look at ringcentral.com. i would port your number to them ~$10/mo and faxes are emailed to you in PDF format. You can also send faxes through your computer. PM me if you have questions.

Baz

My fax is still in use. I receive allot of purchase orders and bidding requests through it. I had to keep up on the junk messages and phone the "remove from list" numbers. Nowadays i hardly get any junk from it and the little that i do i still use the other side of the page to write down info.

signmeup

Hey.... anybody still got a fax/modem in their computer? I checked and you can still buy them. Wouldn't that fix the problem without a subscription?

iSign

wow... junk faxes still using up half a sheet of paper?? ouch...

I thought even the folks still paying for a fax number would all at least be receiving their faxes on the computer...

A lot of those plain paper fax machines used to use ribbons like a wide typewriter ribbon, (or edge foil) and in my case, even a one line cover sheet wasted {half) an extra sheet of paper...

...well, one of the many times i had to run out for a $50 roll of black foil, so I could hurry up and print the "fax held in memory" to see if it was a job (& of course it was always spam)... I decided to roll back the foil to see if it worked like my edge, & only advanced foil when printing, not advancing 11" of foil for every page that rolled through...

DAMN!!! ..that p.o.s. was wasting 11" of foil whenever a one line cover sheet like "To iSign" would roll through...

That was the day I spent $70 on WinFax instead of $50 on foil... and I've never plugged in that damn Sharp Fax again. (I've since switched to a fax utility that came with Windows Server 2003)

iSign

Hey.... anybody still got a fax/modem in their computer? I checked and you can still buy them. Wouldn't that fix the problem without a subscription?

which problem?

you still need a number right? So you want to share your phone line, or maintain a dedicated number? The fax/modem will let you save paper, but it won't give you a phone number.

V-ENGRAVE

OK, I checked Myfax web site and they charge 13.00 CND for 100 pages/month. For upto to 200 pages price is 26.00 CND.
If the info received requires keeping as hard copy you still need to print it out so paper use would apply anyway. For my needs it won't be the best option. I engrave tons of small labels for electrical contractors. Most of them write down by hand what they want engraved so the only way they know how to send it is by fax and I keep hard copy (until payment arrives).
BTW, I use one line with identical switcher for second number.

royster13

The person on the other end of your fax will not know you do not have a machine....All they care is that you have a number....

Another great feature is being able to send faxes from your email program....You just attach one of variety of different files formats and away you go....

And you have the ability to receive faxes while are way from your machine....Some of my best orders ever came by fax when I was away on vacation or at a conference...A virtual fax machine can do everything a machine can do....

The hardest part is getting past the emotional attachment to the old clunker you have taking up office space....

Colin

Well it's been about a year now since nuking the fax line, and I must say that I haven't missed it one bit. I have saved about $400.00 in the last year too by not having it.