• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nuke the Fax?

Colin

I pay about $33.00 per month for a separate fax line (that's about $400.00 / year!) I've done this for my 17 years in business, but I'm starting to wonder if it's time to pull the plug on this expense, as so much can be transmitted now via email that the ol' fax seems archaic.

Opinions?

Rooster

Haven't had a fax machine in years. People just email me pdfs now. If I absolutely have to, I run the phone line into the computer and use fax software for those that are still stuck in the 80's.

iSign

the 8 tracks of communication technology... I remember in the 80's when I got my first sign job in NYC... and I wanted to sample the fax tones for some cutting edge sounds to work into our bands recordings... (& later I heard my idea used on a Pretenders song)

iSign

for about $10 a month, you can use a fax number & have incoming communications forwarded to (any one of) your email addy's... and you can convert outgoing (black & white) messages to be received by other peoples faxes...

I still have my fax line hooked up though, because the "dedicated" line also runs my CC machine, & the auto-dialer intercom I have at my door, so i can receive cell phone calls from the push of a doorbell.

I plan to cut out this extra bill in January though

R08

I pay about $33.00 per month for a separate fax line (that's about $400.00 / year!) I've done this for my 17 years in business, but I'm starting to wonder if it's time to pull the plug on this expense, as so much can be transmitted now via email that the ol' fax seems archaic.

Opinions?

My fax machine died about a year ago and I didn't bother getting it fixed.
I think the fax days are over.

joeshaul

I think I only pay like $5 or $10 for what they call a "teen line". Basically I have one single phone line, but two phone numbers, when someone dials my fax number it uses "distinctive ring", which is kind of self describing, a different style of ring is sent to the phone. I use a device I bought online for about $50 to send the distinctive ring to my fax computer, otherwise it forwards the caller to my regular phone.

While my sign business doesn't use the fax a whole lot, my business partner has all his faxes for his other businesses sent to us and he receives quite a few (mostly from his towing company, which they fax PO information/customer info/etc). I really like having a computer handle all the fax receiving, as sometimes faxes get lost in the shuffle, but the computer keeps em indefinitely, you can also view it beforehand so you don't waste ink/toner if you ended up on some ad list. Only downside to my setup is I can't call someone and send/receive a fax at the same time, but that rarely happens.

Tim Aucoin

Fax machine is long gone.....It was replaced by a www.MyFax.com number...If you do not need outgoing www.Kall8.com will also work.....If you want a toll free number that also receives faxes, you can go to www.My1Voice.com

This has me thinking... thanks for the post! I pay $24.95 for our dedicated fax line. Sounds like www.myfax.com may be worth looking at. :rolleyes: We still get lots of jobs "faxed" in, as our customers find it easier than scanning and e-mailing. Tried telling them that today, it's the same thing!!!:frustrated::banghead:

Colin

Ya, signmeup really put it into perspective by showing the total over 17 years - $6800.00 Ouch!

Tim Aucoin

Wow... thanks for starting this thread Colin. :goodpost:
I just signed up with myfax.com. Fax machine will be gone by the end of the year. I'm getting a toll-free fax number for $13CDN per month. I'll save 12 bucks plus all the @#$%@#$ paper I waste from the countless JUNK faxes I receive daily!!! Not to mention the counter space I'll free up! Faxes will come into any e-mail(s) I choose, and faxes will be sent via e-mail! Can't go wrong here!!! :thumb: Just paid for next year's Signs 101 subscription!!:Big Laugh

Si Allen

I disconnected my FAX months ago. Got tired of the junk FAXs. Told my customers email only becuse of the better details.

Jillbeans

I have a fax phone (land line) I keep it not because of the four good faxes and two spam faxes I get a year, but because with my phone company, if you have a business line you get a free listing in their phone book.
I hate YP ads, and this is the only phone number ad I have.
They do let you list your website.
Love....Jill

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have vonage for business. they have two plans, both include free fax line. $49 plus tax unlimited, $39 plus tax - 1500 minutes a month.

i've used the latter for about 5 years..

Doyle

+1 for myfax.com. I have been a subscriber for 3 or 4 years now with absolutely no complaints. Works great, toll-free fax number, $10/mo, no paper,can't beat it.