• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh boy! I get to do some research tonite on a new cutter.

Conor Knoxx

I've had a Summa D120 for 3 years now, and have never owned a piece of equipment that works so flawlessly.
My main reason for this particular brand, over the others was that from what I read, it had the best "accuracy" of them all. I do a lot of print / cut graphics, and it's ability to find registration marks and accurately cut things out has been well beyond my expectations.

It supposedly has the ability to "cut out / perforate" the paper backing as well, but everything I've read about that feature tells me not to use it, since paper wears out blades and (can't remember the correct name for it...) the little teflon strip where the blade runs.

Ditchmiester

I don't want to steal this thread but I'm interested in Summa Cutters and this seems like a good place to learn something. Will the D140 score .010" Polycarbonate for making decals? Also is there a used market for Summa cutters if so how well do they hold their value?

MikeD

we currently run graphtec flatbed plotters, 2 graphtec vinyl plotters, 1 Mimaki plotter, 6 Envisions and 5 Summa S-75 and an S-140.
Summa is the best performer out of the lot. It will also perform the flex cutting well. Summa plotters have automation built in as well; re-plot, bar codes and take-ups.

We had a Roland print-cut and ended up sending it back.
We also have a Summa DC4 print-cut, and it performs as advertised.

Summa has the most knowledgeable, prompt and polite tech support out of ANY company I have ever worked with. Mimaki doesn't really offer support, and at one point, Graphtec told me that they were too busy to help me that day and they would have to call me back.

Jillbeans

I went from a Gerber Signmaker 4E (designing with a PC) to a Graphtec CE5000-60.
I will never miss the noise and slowness of the Gerber but I sure miss its tracking.
The Graphtec is fast, it's nice to use 24" material but I'd never go bigger
(vinyl stuff is my secondary, I prefer to paint)
I was told it can do pounce patterns but all I got is a stupid pen head and now have to hand-pounce.
It's fast but it doesn't track well.
Love....Jill

jayhawksigns

Summa fan here. Had an old T1010+, when it finally gave up the ghost I just called up Summa and got the current T model in the width I wanted. Wasn't any reason to check other brands, Summas' just work.

threeputt

Appreciate all the info. Amazing comments.

Just sealed the deal with Summa. Bought the S class 75 D.

Shipping from Boston.

The Summa people in Seattle are very professional.

Very good experience.

Border

I have a Summa D620 I bought in 1998 I think. Never had a single problem with it. I also have a Gerber 750 30 inch plotter that I bought used in 2001. Not a single problem with that one either.
It is sprocket feed only though. Thinking about selling that one now or maybe both and upgrading to a single, larger 54 inch Summa.

Averageman

To all you summa owners

For all you summa owners we just got a good offer to buy a summa s75t From what I see a good plotter but can it go off roland crop marks to cut? We have a sp300v and sp540v now and it would be nice to split the print cut duties if possible.

TresL

No, it will not use Roland crop marks. You have to print the Summa marks with the file. New version of Flexi has some options I'm told.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
We have a Summa T-1010. It just works.
Have had it rebuilt twice over the years.

I will not even consider another choice.

s7graphics

everyone here is praising how well Summa's customer service is. I have never owned a summa but now I'm curious of what makes a Summa better then a graphtec/Roland other then the customer service? Is it the speed? accuracy? ease of use?

PetrossiTed

everyone here is praising how well Summa's customer service is. I have never owned a summa but now I'm curious of what makes a Summa better then a graphtec/Roland other then the customer service? Is it the speed? accuracy? ease of use?
We have a Summa D620, had it at least 15 years, easy to use and completely trouble free. Going to upgrade to another Summa. My experience with Summa has been wonderful.