• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Oh Buddy, you are WAAAY off!"

Master's Touch

That's what the fella just said to me ten minutes ago. He walked in with his cloud of cheap tobacco smoke and asks for me to drop everything and letter his dumptruck. (We usually do drop everything, but then they are usually grateful for it.)

He just wanted something quick and simple....one color black lettering. I gathered his info and everything was great til I quoted the price--125.00 plus a small setup. He came unglued and acted like I was crazy. He said something like "I get it over 'there' for 45.00.", to which I replied I wouldn't turn the computer on for that. We said our goodbyes and away he went.

I am actually just a little frustrated with that fella--I am mad at all the knuckle-heads out there that are satisfied to make fast food wages at the sign business.

WHY?:frustrated::banghead:

ProWraps

well over "there" must not be as good or cheap as he professes. otherwise he wouldnt be over "here". never underestimate the power of a client to be full of sh*t.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Pro said. :thumb:

That's when you say.... yeah, I know what he charges... that's where we send all of our deadbeat customers..... and then gently smile and wish him well crossing the street.

Master's Touch

the thing is there is no "Over there" in my town. The closest is 10 miles away and charges almost as much as I do. What motivation does the guy have to waste his time and mine with that charade?

The ironic thing was that I was cutting him a break since it would be quick cash here at the end of the day.

Circleville Signs

I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Idiots like that are all kinds of fun. I would have told him "We can cut the vinyl for you, and you can apply it yourself. That would be about $75". If that didnt' do the trick, out the door.

Gary

Flame

Yeah I hear you. It's getting to be almost daily...

Come on guys, $40 for door decals and banners for $2 a square foot!?!?!? You're killing us all!!!

klmjff

Quick question, and I'm not trying to offend anyone: If someone can make a decent profit that is decent to THEM, then whats the problem with charging $2.00 a square foot? I see people on here saying theyre charging $5 to $6 a sq ft. and getting it. Thats unheard of at most places around the Los Angeles metro area. I'm not charging the $2.00 a sq ft, but if people can make money doing that, why is everybody else crying about it and saying its "killing" their business?

luggnut

yep i'm working on my new book "how to go out of business, while working your ass off"

all the lowballers around my town!!! and there are 5 sign shops competing here in a small town (15,000 i think or less) i don't understand why people would do the jobs that cheap, because you are gonna get a lot of business and make no money and then go out of business. thus "how to go out of business, while working your ass off"

JT

"Over at so and so's" is what I have heard a few times before. The second time I politely asked the customer if he could make out what "so and so" was designing. Two days later, same thing. I know times are tough, but WTF? I haven't raised my prices do to the tough economy.

luggnut

Quick question, and I'm not trying to offend anyone: If someone can make a decent profit that is decent to THEM, then whats the problem with charging $2.00 a square foot? I see people on here saying theyre charging $5 to $6 a sq ft. and getting it. Thats unheard of at most places around the Los Angeles metro area. I'm not charging the $2.00 a sq ft, but if people can make money doing that, why is everybody else crying about it and saying its "killing" their business?

because there is no way to make a decent profit with those prices (even printing truckloads daily) and then it devalues everything done in the sign business. so these lowball guys will eventually go broke and leave the whole sign industry worse off because they have lower the value beeing stupid.

threeputt

Yep. Just had a guy in for some RTA 3" black Helv. Med. lettering for his boat. He'll put it on himself. A dollar and a dime I told him, per letter. His whole job (both sides of a boat) comes to $17.60. I ring him up and he says, "kinda expensive, isn't it?"

Funny thing is, this guy is also a member of my country club. Has at least three "special interest" old classic cars. Had to build a special garage for them. He goes down to his other home in Palm Springs during the winters here.

But seventeen freakin' bucks is expensive? Compared to what?

Sheesh!!! Don't get me started.

threeputt

after paying for all that sh*t he probably doesnt have $17.

That's funny.

It's not uncommon for some of these people to be very, very tight. I know, I play golf with many of them.

It's okay that they make gazillions of dollars, but when it comes to buying other people's services, it's how much? how much?

Gets old.

speedmedia

Yep. Just had a guy in for some RTA 3" black Helv. Med. lettering for his boat. He'll put it on himself. A dollar and a dime I told him, per letter. His whole job (both sides of a boat) comes to $17.60. I ring him up and he says, "kinda expensive, isn't it?"

Funny thing is, this guy is also a member of my country club. Has at least three "special interest" old classic cars. Had to build a special garage for them. He goes down to his other home in Palm Springs during the winters here.

But seventeen freakin' bucks is expensive? Compared to what?

Sheesh!!! Don't get me started.

Well he would have crapped his pants when he walked into my shop and I charged him $45.00. Minimum order. Won't turn my stuff on for anything less.

Thanks,
Kurt