• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ok you Apple Sheep !

SignBurst PCs

OldGoatRoper hehe no need to get cranky, and prove how intelligent you are. Let's agree that having a PC is like needing to wear condoms all the time, and only sleeping with ugly women.(that you keep under your desk anyway) While MAC is like not needing a condom and sleeping with pretty women, except you can't play as many games. Enjoy your PC!

Nice, yeah I am sure that is helping your cause.

WildWestDesigns

Come on ucmj, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument :smile:

The one thing that that report doesn't take into account are those that do custom computers. Those just deal with pre-fabbed store bought (either through the commercial store or thru places like Best Buy).

I would say quite a few people here have custom computers which is much harder to track compared to doing the pre-fabbed computers. I would say that's Mac's biggest competitor. The people that buy parts and either build one or hire someone to build a computer for them.

ucmj22

The one thing that that report doesn't take into account are those that do custom computers. Those just deal with pre-fabbed store bought (either through the commercial store or thru places like Best Buy).

I would say quite a few people here have custom computers which is much harder to track compared to doing the pre-fabbed computers. I would say that's Mac's biggest competitor. The people that buy parts and either build one or hire someone to build a computer for them.

I get what youre saying, but are you suggesting that there is a custom PC manufacturer that has double digit market share? If not, I would say that that last entry in that image on market share was "Other" with a share of 20%. I believe this probably includes the custom manufacturers. the reason it isnt listed in 3rd place pushing apple to 4 is because it encompasses multiple manufacturers.

CES020

Of course, keep telling yourself that stuff. Remember, apple's just a fad. They'll be gone in no time, despite the fact that they dominate all their competitors in just about every financial measurement.

When they surpassed Exxon/Mobile as the biggest capitalized company in the USA, that meant nothing. When the iPad took off, it wouldn't do anything according to people just like you. Well, you (and the others) were dead wrong. Not just slightly wrong, dead wrong. When the iPhone was said to be a toy and wouldn't amount to anything, again, the nay sayers were dead wrong.

I'm an analyst by nature, and for quite some time as my profession. For the life of me, I can't see why it's so hard for some of you to just give them the credit they have earned.

You can take all the numbers of custom computers you want, the fact is that in a worldwide market that's SHRINKING for all their competitors, apple is GAINING market share. How you read that as a negative is beyond my ability to comprehend.

A normal person would look at that chart and say "Wow, those guys must be doing SOMETHING right, they are kicking Dell and HP's butt".

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
12% apple to around 80% microsoft? I do not thing are going to change very fast if at all.

Actually 12 is a good number. The 80% encompasses probably 30 or more mainstream and custom PC co's. The better stat is when it is broken down by mfr, not by the operating system. There is no way the Mac os will ever surpass the Microsoft OS. Apple had a chance in the 80's but not now

The 2 charts are separate. Microsoft does not AFAIK make a computer.

ucmj22

12% apple to around 80% microsoft? I do not thing are going to change very fast if at all.

hardware vs. software is a different story. think about the mobile market share I believe apple is trailing android (smart phones only, leading when tablets are included) by 5-10 percent, and android is on hundreds (maybe thousands) of handset models across dozens of manufacturers while iOS is only on Apple iPhones. so while android has more software market share, as a manufacturer of hardware apple has by far the largest chunk of smartphone ownership. I get confused myself sometimes sifting through the the data and distinguishing between software vs. hardware, but first and foremost Apple is a Hardware manufacturer that uses their software as a selling point, so it is more suitable to compare them to dell, than it is to compare them to microsoft.

WildWestDesigns

I get what youre saying, but are you suggesting that there is a custom PC manufacturer that has double digit market share? If not, I would say that that last entry in that image on market share was "Other" with a share of 20%. I believe this probably includes the custom manufacturers. the reason it isnt listed in 3rd place pushing apple to 4 is because it encompasses multiple manufacturers.

No, I'm talking about those that have computers that would have parts from those companies, but don't have their completely pre-fab system. I don't have an Asus computer (although my niece and my dad does (laptop anyway)), but I do have their motherboard. I have a Sapphire video card etc. It's those that have picked the best from those companies listed (if they make those parts themselves as well and sell them separately, sometimes they outsource just depends) and made their own computer. How much of the demographic has switched to that method of getting their computers?

I think something like that would skew those results in the report. Now is it enough to really make a difference, I don't know. Without someone trying to "measure" that demographic I couldn't say for sure.

Before I started getting computers this way, I would buy HPs already made from their business line. So I would at least be one customer that would be included in that loss of market share, how many others would have gone that same route?

ucmj22

No, I'm talking about those that have computers that would have parts from those companies, but don't have their completely pre-fab system. I don't have an Asus computer (although my niece and my dad does (laptop anyway)), but I do have their motherboard. I have a Sapphire video card etc. It's those that have picked the best from those companies listed (if they make those parts themselves as well and sell them separately, sometimes they outsource just depends) and made their own computer. How much of the demographic has switched to that method of getting their computers?

I think something like that would skew those results in the report. Now is it enough to really make a difference, I don't know. Without someone trying to "measure" that demographic I couldn't say for sure.

Before I started getting computers this way, I would buy HPs already made from their business line. So I would at least be one customer that would be included in that loss of market share, how many others would have gone that same route?

It would stand to reason that many have done what you have done based on the fact that Apple was the only major company to increase market share while all others lost, and the gain by Apple does not match the loss; Therefore, either people just stopped buying computers, or there has been a "market share increase" for people building their own.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Yes, there are plenty of small computer shops that make systems themselves from wholesale parts -- these would never get counted in the those industry figures, unless you can somehow surmise total PC production from sales of Windows OS. I would not be surprised if WinOS sales are substantially greater that reported sales from the major PC brands.

And even this would never include the number of PCs that are built to be used with Linux.

WrapYourCar

oldgoatroper and other PC guys here, have you all used apple computers extensively? i have used both PC and MAC.. just want to make sure you have all experienced them before properly before you knock them! I have seen many go against apple, until they actually start using them properly. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both, I use my PC for retards that send me Publisher files.

WildWestDesigns

oldgoatroper and other PC guys here, have you all used apple computers extensively? i have used both PC and MAC.. just want to make sure you have all experienced them before properly before you knock them! I have seen many go against apple, until they actually start using them properly. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both, I use my PC for retards that send me Publisher files.

I can't speak for the rest of the PC guys, but I have experience back in the 80s with them.

But wait there is more.

My latest experience is with an iMac, Macbook Air, and MacBook Pro. The Air is the ole ball and chains and the only one that is really still being used. Most here know the story of how I got the iMac, so I won't go into that. Right now it's just in the guest room. It was last in the shop as just an office computer until the joys of Linux replaced it. The Pro is fixing to have Linux on it as well.

All of these computers have had at least design programs installed. Only been used on the iMac and the Pro. Alicia isn't much on the design stuff, so Painter has just been installed, I doubt she has had time to use it.

The oldest out of these last 3 computers is 3 yrs old. The youngest will be a year old in October, so I like to think I'm relatively current on my Mac usage.

ICeMAnAbk

Macs, are not the standard.

Given that, Why bother making viruses? Truthfully, the individual(s) that made the trojans and such for Macs did it out of spite.

Majority of banking and other web firms use either windows or LINUX/UNIX OS systems for networking capabilities. Why would you make a trojan for MACs which avoids what majority of the US & World runs on?

The US Military runs on their own version of Windows/Unix/Linux OS, as well as the rest of the US Government. Most fortune 500 companies, run off of Windows/Unix/Linux.

Right there, 3 power houses of buying. None for Macs. Ontop of that, A lot of Mac products are Mac specific, making them even more expensive to manufacture, and cost an arm & a leg to fix when they break.

ONTOP OF THIS.... They aren't too customizable, and Go ahead, try to take the battery out of most of your Apple Products. Oh wait, you can't? How about the memory card? Oh, not that either? Don't drop it, it might cost you an extra $100 to fix that busted screen. iPhone for the longest time was contracted to AT&T one of the worst cellular services.

iPod, REALLY? Something that costs around $200+ now that you play music on? I've bought an MP3 player for $30 that went through hell and back and held everything I wanted to listen to with 2gigs of memory. Who the **** has 80gigs of music, legally? Don't give me the facts about the new iPod 4G, it's a iPhone that doesn't call, and you need WiFi to do anything with it. You'll look real cool in starbucks with that, or just roaming around you house. Useless. ($200 is for the 8gig model, should be a 4gig since half of that is the OS and other useless **** they preload the pod with)

The other iProducts, are expensive as hell. Everything runs on MicroUSB now, a cable which can cost you 5 bucks to get another if yours happens to break. The Apple one? $20 before shipping possibly higher in a store, and thats just a USB cable. no plug included. The cable is prone to twisting and shredding the cables inside. Happens often. Lets also not forget it's all touch screen. You know how nasty/dirty that screen gets? Then people press it on their face during a call. ICK.

Plus, they have majority of these things made in China. A country that's been economically ******* America in it's *** for years. What a great way to support America.

I boycott Mac, I will NEVER use a Mac for many of its reasons. After Steve Job's 5yr plan runs out, we're going to see a major dive in that company. It's already trending away from apple. 51.8% of the Mobile Phones out there are Android OS, Google is activating 500,000 phones a month, and Apple's have trended downward to less then 300,000. Sure, the iPhone 5 is coming out. Big deal. It's going to be a more expensive version of the current iPhone with small enhancements that will not even be noticable. There is still a claim Apple is better for graphics. What a crock.

I guess the 99% idiots outside wall street will be rocking these new products as they "fight the corperate machine". There is def a cultist attitude about Apple Products and how hip and cool they are. Reminds me of Clearwater FL with the Scientologists.

2972renfro

Happens often. Lets also not forget it's all touch screen. You know how nasty/dirty that screen gets? Then people press it on their face during a call. ICK.

Plus, they have majority of these things made in China. A country that's been economically ******* America in it's *** for years. What a great way to support America.

I boycott Mac, I will NEVER use a Mac for many of its reasons. After Steve Job's 5yr plan runs out, we're going to see a major dive in that company. It's already trending away from apple. 51.8% of the Mobile Phones out there are Android OS, Google is activating 500,000 phones a month, and Apple's have trended downward to less then 300,000. Sure, the iPhone 5 is coming out. Big deal. It's going to be a more expensive version of the current iPhone with small enhancements that will not even be noticable. There is still a claim Apple is better for graphics. What a crock.

I guess the 99% idiots outside wall street will be rocking these new products as they "fight the corperate machine". There is def a cultist attitude about Apple Products and how hip and cool they are. Reminds me of Clearwater FL with the Scientologists.

1. What computer do you use? Most likely more than 90% of the parts are from China and/or is produced there. If you go with that argument then you likely won't buy/use anyone's computer

2. The reason Android is ahead has much to do with the fact that it is on hundreds of different phones, versus iOS which is only produced for 1 product the iphone which has been updated. With Apple you only have one choice of phone (various capacities) that has been updated over the years. So naturally Android is going to have the most market share.

3. Nasty dirty touch screen? Well unless you keep the phone away from your face and never touch it I still don't understand the complaint there. A touch screen has nothing to do with it being icky. Every mfr is moving to touch screens. So dirty screens are Apple's fault? Android phones have some kind of material that does not get dirty or sticky?

ICeMAnAbk

1. What computer do you use? Most likely more than 90% of the parts are from China and/or is produced there. If you go with that argument then you likely won't buy/use anyone's computer

2. The reason Android is ahead has much to do with the fact that it is on hundreds of different phones, versus iOS which is only produced for 1 product the iphone which has been updated. With Apple you only have one choice of phone (various capacities) that has been updated over the years. So naturally Android is going to have the most market share.

3. Nasty dirty touch screen? Well unless you keep the phone away from your face and never touch it I still don't understand the complaint there. A touch screen has nothing to do with it being icky. Every mfr is moving to touch screens. So dirty screens are Apple's fault? Android phones have some kind of material that does not get dirty or sticky?

1. Ireland is actually a large manufacturer of electronics now, and I'd rather buy from a company that supports Western/US instead of sending crap to China. Mainly b/c their corp tax is around 11%. You can also purchase a lot which are US German or made in the UK, or Canada. I don't shop at wal mart, specifically because most of what they sell is chinese. It's not hard to look on a box and see where the "made in" is stamped. Look at Ralph Lauren. They made the US Olympic Uniforms in China. What a shame. BTW, Computers I have, custom built. parts from the named countries. If it says China on the box anywhere, I'm already looking for something else.

2. This is true. Just like everything Apple, specifically for one thing. Not upgradeable in majority of cases. God help you with the price if it breaks.

3. In general, touch screens suck. They get dirty and smudge marks all over them. There is no slider version of an iPhone either plus most of the time you hit the wrong key. If you have big hands/fingers, they're an even bigger pain in the *** to use. I have a slider phone, it's much more comfortable to use, plus I don't need to rub my fingers all over the screen Im looking at. Personal preference.

Still, it's a cult.

CES020

3. In general, touch screens suck. They get dirty and smudge marks all over them. There is no slider version of an iPhone either plus most of the time you hit the wrong key. If you have big hands/fingers, they're an even bigger pain in the *** to use. I have a slider phone, it's much more comfortable to use, plus I don't need to rub my fingers all over the screen Im looking at. Personal preference.

Still, it's a cult.

Maybe it's a conspiracy against fat people that have slimy, nasty faces and fat a$$ fingers that resemble small sausages. They just don't want people like that to be seen using their products, it'll mess up their "cool" image.

2972renfro

1. Ireland is actually a large manufacturer of electronics now, and I'd rather buy from a company that supports Western/US instead of sending crap to China. Mainly b/c their corp tax is around 11%. You can also purchase a lot which are US German or made in the UK, or Canada. I don't shop at wal mart, specifically because most of what they sell is chinese. It's not hard to look on a box and see where the "made in" is stamped. Look at Ralph Lauren. They made the US Olympic Uniforms in China. What a shame. BTW, Computers I have, custom built. parts from the named countries. If it says China on the box anywhere, I'm already looking for something else.

2. This is true. Just like everything Apple, specifically for one thing. Not upgradeable in majority of cases. God help you with the price if it breaks.

Still, it's a cult.

1. Please tell us what computer company has no Chinese parts in it. I will also bet a majority of the things in your house are Chinese made.

2. All touch screen phones are expensive to fix. On the computer front, yes Apple is making their computers harder to repair but I will bet they won't be the only ones. Eventually many mfrs will follow suit in their effort to copy apple. You cannot have such thin form factors and make them user repairable

3. Your "ick" is on the buttons instead. I would rather easily clean the ick off my smooth glass screen versus slide it behind the phone. So unless you have pristine fingers and clean with EVERY use the ick is there and harder to remove. Plus your "ick" is in between keys and eventually works it's way under the keys. Sliding phones are notorious for breaking due to moving parts and buttons. I have had multiple sliding phones go bad after a couple of years but not with touch screens

The dirtiest item in a hotel room is a remote - guess what they are... push buttons. A touch screen remote with no nooks and crannies would be alot easier to clean.