• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OMG Internet Explorer.... DIE ALREADY would ya!

GypsyGraphics

If you're still using Internet Explorer... can i ask WHY????

I was just comment to a S101 friend on facebook... who's day wasn't going well... she posted a pic of her computer screen. I didn't have to actually click the photo to know what her problem was... I could see the Internet Explorer icon. NUFF SAID

I suppose i should click on her photo, since i'm commenting on it here.
ok just check, it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
...what else would anyone expect from the most NON-COMPLIANT browser on the planet?

The writing is on the wall IE... "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting!"

Check out the web browser compliance, ACID test, HERE.

IE7 - 12%
IE8 - 20%
IE9 - FAIL

Or you can test whatever browser you are using, yourself HERE.

sar bossier

Love it, GG!! I uninstalled IE several weeks ago (HATE it), but I found 2 of my pay accounts are ONLY compatible with IE, so I had to re-install it JUST for these 2 accounts!! Really wish co's would get WITH IT, so you can access WITHOUT IE!!

rant done ...

Locals Find!

Unfortunately IE still sets the bench mark for most web programming as stupid as it seems. I tried to run some redirect scripts and Mozilla, Chrome, and Opera wouldn't run them at all. IE and Safari no issues at all.

So as bad IE appears to be it still comes out best for viewing many websites as they are meant to be viewed sadly.

MatthewTimothy

also another reason why IE is used is the integration with major corporation software for Microsoft. I use IE for SharePoint, and for debugging sites

Jim Doggett

Google Chrome! Then everything Google, including Andriod phone, and your life is seemless :)

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

genericname

Unfortunately IE still sets the bench mark for most web programming as stupid as it seems. I tried to run some redirect scripts and Mozilla, Chrome, and Opera wouldn't run them at all. IE and Safari no issues at all.

That's because redirect scripts are pure, unadulterated evil.

Those other browsers are doing their jobs by not allowing you to use them.

GypsyGraphics

So as bad IE appears to be it still comes out best for viewing many websites as they are meant to be viewed sadly.

stupid??? more like insanity!

it's not like IE is a classic car, that gets to "age out" of passing emissions test, for gosh sakes!!!!
IE is NO classic car...
it's the rusty heap sitting in your neighbors driveway, bring down the neighborhood, instead of being sent to the scrapyard where it belongs!

Jim Doggett

MatthewTimothy said:
firefox baby and the firebug addon. PLUS your Google has nothing on the amount of capabilities Firefox can do with its addons

Read it and weep: lose my phone, buy another and log onto my Google account, and bingo. All contacts, emails, Google +, photos ... right on the phone, synched in seconds.

Gotta love it. :)

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

GypsyGraphics

Read it and weep: lose my phone, buy another and log onto my Google account, and bingo. All contacts, emails, Google +, photos ... right on the phone, synched in seconds.

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse
nothing new.... been able to do that with a MAC account, since the first iPhone came out.
but yeah... i do love it! :)

MatthewTimothy

Jim Doggett
SignWarehouse

well if you backed it up other than leaving it on your phone this wouldnt be an issue :ROFLMAO:

Locals Find!

That's because redirect scripts are pure, unadulterated evil.

Those other browsers are doing their jobs by not allowing you to use them.

No they are getting in the way of my coding. HTML 5 still has some serious issues, and the fact that Firefox and Chrome disable some of the work arounds on those issues means they aren't doing there job. They are simply making mine harder. So instead of the simple fix. I now have to debug hundreds of lines of code and look for an alternative method so those two browsers will do the Job that IE does out of the box.

petesign

Hmm, never heard of OpenDNS, i just went there and it looks interesting. Thank you for the tip!

Speaking of browsers.. I recently got Dolphin HD for my android phone, LOVE IT. The stock browser will force you to mobile sites... Dolphin lets you choose..

Locals Find!

Hmm, never heard of OpenDNS, i just went there and it looks interesting. Thank you for the tip!

Speaking of browsers.. I recently got Dolphin HD for my android phone, LOVE IT. The stock browser will force you to mobile sites... Dolphin lets you choose..

+1 for dolphin works great. Firefox for mobile is also a pretty decent browser and not as resource heavy as dolphin.

Mike F

No they are getting in the way of my coding. HTML 5 still has some serious issues, and the fact that Firefox and Chrome disable some of the work arounds on those issues means they aren't doing there job. They are simply making mine harder. So instead of the simple fix. I now have to debug hundreds of lines of code and look for an alternative method so those two browsers will do the Job that IE does out of the box.

Why not just redirect with your .htaccess file(s)?

jhanson

Having done web design work, if you're relying on IE-only workarounds, you aren't doing it right to begin with.

I've always tried to code to the standards first. If I need something fancy, most of it can be done with some simple CSS. The issue that I run into going that path is that IE has difficulty handling some of the more advanced CSS styles, and at that point I have to write in a workaround for IE's quirkiness.

Web standards exist for a reason. Internet Explorer is not a standard -- it's so horribly broken that pages that work fine in IE7/8 break in IE6, and vice versa.

Then again, a lot of the IE-only content out there was generated by crappy HTML WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage. Dreamweaver did a better job but still doesn't handle newer standards correctly.

rfulford

If you need to run ActiveX for any reason, your only option is Internet Exploder. I swore I would never use IE again but had to start back when I started using Sharepoint. Unfortunately, ActiveX is part of what makes IE so bad.