• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One More Laminator Post And I'm Done!

quikseps

Any opinions on this laminator and the company that sells it???:

http://www.masterwarehouse.com/default2.html?gclid=CKeO-M_BtosCFScNZwodnkyEyg

Its pretty cheap and "looks" better than a Daige as I need to save some money for now after just dropping a ton of cash on a new Roland 540. What's kinda of cool is that you can use it by cranking the handle without the motor. (Actually, does that mean the motor is pretty much worthless?) LOL!

BTW...going to pick up a big squeegee also. Can't beat it for the $$$.

Steve

ChicagoGraphics

I never saw that laminator before, wow the price is cheap, I wouldn't except much. It says motorized, I have seen laminators before that you can crank instead of using power. It's not fast to say the least.
Good luck with it

Techman

This is just like the cheap cuttter discussion.
Buy cheap, its acts cheap but its not cheap. Its just cheap junk. Put the word cheap where it belongs. No one likes a cheap person why should it be any other way with equipment?
Junk machines are nothing but money pits. Good tools cost because they are worth it.

The big squeegee or any other hand lam tool is much better than buying a cheap junk lam machine. Ruin just one print with a junk machine and that pays for a hand tool that is much easier to control. Use a hand tool or use liquid lam. Either way you will win. Get a junk machine and you lose.

Flame

Sorry Techman, I gotta disagree with you on this one. I have a laminator just like that. Made by Ding Tec. I've had it for a year without any problems. It's motorized with a foot control. Well worth the money spent.

BTW, if it matters I go through about 800 sq. ft. of laminate a month. So it gets used a fair bit.

Baz

I do agree with others in that when you buy cheap you get cheap and might end up regreting your purchase. In this instance though ... I have a friend who owns a busy sign shop and that looks allot like the model of laminator that he has. I think he's had it for almost 2 years now and i havent heard anything bad concerning his laminator. I have also personnaly used it for a large job and it went really smooth.

The only time i heard him complain was that he couldnt laminate Oracal's 3951 vinyl without having allot of creases appear. I think this problem has been discussed here before in regards to that media and the answer seemed to lie in how much pressure you set your laminator at.

For that price i would buy it!

Derf

I have a Ding Tec just like flame has and I have never had a problem... I also have a seal ultra 44 and the cheap Ding Tech does a better job.

I am going to buy one more just for mounting prints.

90% of the time cheap is bad quality but in this case or at least with Ding Tech your just getting a basic machine with no bells and whistles!

It does take a few runs to figure how to get your roll pressure even because it is a manual adjust.

Hell at this price if it does not Laminate well just use it as a mounter or taper!

quikseps

Go with the daige.

Works great, reliable and is easy to work on if anything goes wrong.

The argument to buy a Daige is valid since parts are accessible and it does look easy to fix. Maybe this is the way to go for now with a 65"? If I have any problems at least I can scream at my rep from Beacon!

If there's any others out there using a Daige on a daily basis, especially on larger images "and liking it" I'd really like to hear from you!

Derf

Also if you buy a Ding Tech from John Reinke at PCP they have great customer service.

One of my film bars got bent in shipping and I had a new one in less than a week!

2NinerNiner2

I have had the 52"model for over 2 years and it has performed flawlessly! - with or without the 'crank'! :) It is easy to set up and dead simple to use; not too much can go wrong with it. I don not leave mine 'webbed' and yes, the liner take-up is not motorized but for my application, this is not an issue. To calm any concerns, the thing is built like a tank!!! ...ask my back!!! ...it weighs a "ton"!!!:) The only 'customization' that I have done on mine is to apply some 'index marks' on the roller adjustment knobs to make life easier when changing the roller height to accommodate coreplast, etc. Once I was 'schooled' ( from a post on printingdigital.net ) on how to correctly and simply 'start' the lamination , I have had not one issue that wasn't 'operator-induced' (trying to hurry or otherwise cut corners) :) ! :) If the low price is a concern, I will gladly sell mine for twice the price ... and go buy another! :)

Cheers!
Lyle

Derf

This Desay looks about dead on the same as the ding tech! Only dif looks like the power buttons..

Techman

The argument to buy a Daige is valid since parts are accessible and it does look easy to fix.

Daige is nothing more than a glorified mounter. JUNK.

I would rather use floor wax..

quikseps

Lyle....Is your 52" model from masterwarehouse.com? Or is it "similar".

I've been hearing the Ding Tec units are okay but is this unit made by Ding Tec? Does it even matter? All these Chinese units look about the same and this one is $1,000 less than the unit from Pacific Coast Paint.

I just called this Desay (masterwarehouse.com) and talked to an oriental guy that didn't seem to know much. Do I buy this one or spend an extra $1,000 from PCP? Also, I'm in New Jersey...possibly there's a closer source?

Steve

Derf

John from PCP is great to work with and can ship the unit to you

as for the Desay being a $K cheaper... well I guess you have to ask your self how much is a piece of mind worth to you?

2NinerNiner2

Steve - mine is a 'Master' brand, identical to the one listed in the link and the 'pdf. located there. I bought mine from my Roland dealer here in Montréal when I purchased my VersaCAMM SP-300. Just had a look to see where it was manufactured, and I don't see a label to that effect. What I am saying is, the thing works as advertised, the optical sensor does it's thing (couldn't figure out one time why it wouldn't start with the foot switch ...until I noticed that I had left my tape measure in the path of the sensor! :) and the materials and construction are 'industrial strength', to say the least (aircraft-grade 'Cannon Plug' connects the foot switch to the unit). The roller are 'true' and that is what counts a lot, if not the most. I believe what concerns some here is it's utter simplicity; hence the 'low' price. For the record, and future reference, I base this construction observation upon being a currently licenced (Canadian spelling :) Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, M1 and M2 (which is the equivalent to the US/FAA 'A&P' with 'IA' (Inspection Authorization)) ... I certify that an aircraft is airworthy and return it to service following major repairs to primary structure ...I know 'cheesey' when I see it ...this thing is anything but! :)

Cheers!
Lyle

ChiknNutz

I have a DingTec that I got from PCP. Works pretty good, but I wish it had a powered liner take up reel. I've considered buying a 2nd unit to have one for mounting and one for laminating.

asignstop

We have one of those at the old shop also, it worked fine for the most part, but we always needed 2 people to work it right. A laminator is not a terribly complex machine so to pay 8K+ for one seemed absurd.

Of course it also depends on how often you use it - I personally am looking for one with a automated release liner taker, or one w/ roll to roll capability - beyond those features I would assume all other laminators are created (fairly) equal. However I do think the daige is crap- at least you get a stand w/ these.