• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 18

Bly

I print the advanced ink limit chart and set limits where there is no increase in density.
Sure UV printers can lay down more ink but why waste ink for no effect?

The Oce profiling guide does say to not bother.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Oce's own profiles for IJ257 limit at 385% from memory, which is barely different to 400%.
I admit that they were some of the worst profiles I've ever seen however.
Spent a full day making all new profiles for every print mode after we converted to the new inks, and everything is good again. Left the limits at 400% though.
Our raster reds are excellent. We typically don't print too many blocks of vector red so it would be unnoticed most of the time.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Yeah, I was always told the ink limiting only saves you ink - Theres no point in using 100/100/100/100 (400% ink) when onyx can limit it to say 25/25/25/25 and only use 100% ink (Fake numbers to easily get the point across). I was told onyx will still know how to get the colors it needs to, whether your ink is limited or not. Maybe I'll try making a new profile and playing with the ink limit. I always went above, instead of below in fear I'd lose out on some gamut. Most our colors are pretty accurate though, Some blues are a bit purplish, greys a bit brownish, etc... Nothing perfect, but it's still pretty accurate.

Onyx gets most colours and does quite a good job I must admit, but with some it does struggle. Playing with ink limits did help. I suppose it does save ink but also use less ink to produce the same colours.
For me highest accuracy is very important.

I print the advanced ink limit chart and set limits where there is no increase in density.
Sure UV printers can lay down more ink but why waste ink for no effect?

The Oce profiling guide does say to not bother.

On my Arizona the ink limits just keep getting darker. 390 is almost black and 400 is black. To determain where is difficult.
On my inkjet you can clearly see where to limit them.
I know the oce guide says leave them which I think is wrong.

Oce's own profiles for IJ257 limit at 385% from memory, which is barely different to 400%.
I admit that they were some of the worst profiles I've ever seen however.
Spent a full day making all new profiles for every print mode after we converted to the new inks, and everything is good again. Left the limits at 400% though.
Our raster reds are excellent. We typically don't print too many blocks of vector red so it would be unnoticed most of the time.

One of mine is at 370 and made all of the difference. And this was going by what oce did.

FYI guys this is only for the onyx icc profiling software. Ink limiting for i1Profiler isn’t needed. Profiles where the same with or without ink limits with the i1P but not onyx.