• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 24 issue BEWARE!

CanuckSigns

Just to give everyone a heads up, there is a known issue in Onyx 24 where printing multiple pages will not generate a cut file for each page. I have a job to print a few hundred safety signs, I'm printing on vinyl then mounting to coroplast to cut out on our summa F1612. i set my page size in onyx to 48"x96" and bring in my files, onyx nests them into 20 sheets of coro, I printed the roll and went to cut them and realized that onyx only generated 2 cut files instead of 20, a quick call to onyx support reveals that this is a known issue they are"working on" I asked if this issue was ever posted on their website or sent out in a bulletin and was told that Onyx does not publish their known issues.

So now I have a full roll of vinyl, alminate and ink headed to the dumpster, luckily I checked the first sheet before i mounted the other 19.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm gearing up to upgrade, it's a pretty major upgrade. We do parking meter decals that are contour cut - and I typically do a data merge in illy and just bring in one PDF for all of them. I hope they fix this before I need to do another batch.

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
Yeah I already found this out after I printed 1/4 of a roll. If you print the sheets one at a time it gave them individual barcodes, if you queued up multiples, they all got the same barcode. I also noticed that my Graphtec FC9000 was not handling jobs correct and doing a cross cut at the leading edge of the sheet instead of the back and I had to manually cut. Also seemed to lose connection after I ran a cut and I had to restart the cutter and the cut server.

They also still don't support the UCJV330 machines in the v24 update. :(

I spoke to them about it a couple weeks ago and it was escalated up to engineering but I have yet to hear anything back.
Glad I didn't uninstall v22.5.

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
Just to give everyone a heads up, there is a known issue in Onyx 24 where printing multiple pages will not generate a cut file for each page. I have a job to print a few hundred safety signs, I'm printing on vinyl then mounting to coroplast to cut out on our summa F1612. i set my page size in onyx to 48"x96" and bring in my files, onyx nests them into 20 sheets of coro, I printed the roll and went to cut them and realized that onyx only generated 2 cut files instead of 20, a quick call to onyx support reveals that this is a known issue they are"working on" I asked if this issue was ever posted on their website or sent out in a bulletin and was told that Onyx does not publish their known issues.

So now I have a full roll of vinyl, alminate and ink headed to the dumpster, luckily I checked the first sheet before i mounted the other 19.
Can you manually cut that on a flatbed by just registering the marks, instead of throwing the whole roll out? It won't be automated but would save you from reprinting.

CanuckSigns

Can you manually cut that on a flatbed by just registering the marks, instead of throwing the whole roll out? It won't be automated but would save you from reprinting.
Turns out I can, but only because just out of shear luck, all the sheets i've printed so far are identical there are 2 designs that I needed a high quantity of and when onyx nested them it just so happened it nested 6 of the larger signs and 10 of the smaller signs per sheet, and I noticed it before it started printing the lower quantity signs at the end of the job where each sheet is different.

CanuckSigns

Yeah I already found this out after I printed 1/4 of a roll. If you print the sheets one at a time it gave them individual barcodes, if you queued up multiples, they all got the same barcode. I also noticed that my Graphtec FC9000 was not handling jobs correct and doing a cross cut at the leading edge of the sheet instead of the back and I had to manually cut. Also seemed to lose connection after I ran a cut and I had to restart the cutter and the cut server.

They also still don't support the UCJV330 machines in the v24 update. :(

I spoke to them about it a couple weeks ago and it was escalated up to engineering but I have yet to hear anything back.
Glad I didn't uninstall v22.5.
Yeah i still have 22.5 installed as well luckily. My Onyx advantage subscription is running out in about a month, I asked the tech is this issue isn;t fixed by then, am i going to be forced to purchase another year to get it working? He wasn't sure... Seems like a good business model, release a new update that's broken, then charge people to fix it...

Christian @ 2CT Media

There are alot of other issues with 24.
Like if you have a Colorado and you want to print multiple sheets not a roll it will crash... works fine in 22.

If you use a Summa S2 with camera the fiducials are still offset from the cut file to the print file.

It rips 3 times for rotations and this takes significantly (2.5x) longer than 22 but Onyx only reports the last rip section for rip time.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Having installed Onyx as a dealer since Version 2, I usually come up with solutions.
i have not even looked at 24 and maybe I will when it‘s up to 24.2 or 3.
If you have many to run, the easy way is to create a media size in Onyx you know the cutter can handle.
So if you create a 4x8 media size, it will nest together what fits, print this on the roll, write a cut file for it, then send the next 4x8, over and over again.
Bruce

CanuckSigns

Having installed Onyx as a dealer since Version 2, I usually come up with solutions.
i have not even looked at 24 and maybe I will when it‘s up to 24.2 or 3.
If you have many to run, the easy way is to create a media size in Onyx you know the cutter can handle.
So if you create a 4x8 media size, it will nest together what fits, print this on the roll, write a cut file for it, then send the next 4x8, over and over again.
Bruce
Yeah I'm not usually someone to test new software, I've been burned before, however when I upgraded from 12 to 22.5 it came with a year of free updates, and that year is running out soon so I thought I would get the latest and greatest....

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah i still have 22.5 installed as well luckily. My Onyx advantage subscription is running out in about a month, I asked the tech is this issue isn;t fixed by then, am i going to be forced to purchase another year to get it working? He wasn't sure... Seems like a good business model, release a new update that's broken, then charge people to fix it...
No you will get the update. Paid upgrade is only on version updates say if they pump out 24.5 out next year you won't get that.

ikarasu

I've run into this bug a few times too... kind of surprised they havent fixed it yet.

I do A LOT of decals, And with a Latex printer its a pain in the ass having it print 4-6 FT, Stop...re-warm itself up, print 4-6 FT...stop...re-warm itself... etc, so "Print by job" doesn't work for me. I always tell onyx my sheet is 54" x 96" Wide... Then load thousands of decals, hit print, and I can print a full roll knowing itll print each set of decals within an 8 FT sheet... That way if I have a media crash, or a decal is loose, or if it goes off... I only lose 8 FT of material, not 50 FT.

Now thanks to this bug I have to manually set every decal I do in illustrator and nest them myself.... huuuge pain in the ass when you have 20 different decals, all with different quantities and shapes. Think I might go back to 22.5 until this is fixed.... I tell myself that everytime I go to print decals, then dont though!

It's getting better... It used to crash when trying to print "pages" like that... the latest driver for my printer fixed it crashing, but it still doesnt generate the cut files beyond the first one. Hopefully they fix it soon.

guillermo

to prevent something like this, I usually place all the images within the size I want to print in Illustrator, that way, I will have one file and one cutline, (even I have several images in it) but it works much better, I do not have "onyx thrive" the one for nesting, I just use the "conserve media" option in onyx. doing in Illustrator, it gives me a better look at what I need to print and cut, it may be a little extra work, but I save some headaches.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Sorry to hear Scott! Have you found a workaround yet? Haven't run into this yet but will make a note of it, sure it's bound to happen sooner or later.

ONYXtechtips any plans to fix this? I feel like this is a pretty substantial bug that could cost your customers a lot of money, while paying a lot of money for this "upgrade".

ONYXtechtips

Of those who have experienced this problem, please provide me with some details and I will chase it down. I would need to know things like the printer used, cutter used, what the file prep was (multipage PDF created in Illustrator or some other method), version number of your Thrive, did you use a custom quickset, if so what were the cut settings, did you process pages as individual files or as one. I do have a meeting this morning that I can address this issue and get a resolution at least started. We would need to be able to replicate the problem to be able to identify what needs to be fixed if it is broken. Please send me a private message if you wish to keep your details private and I will do my best to address it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can tell you it happens on any printer with multiple pages, both pdf pages or artificial pages created by onyx. On the Colorado it crashes the RIP when sending more than one page to the printer. On the HP R2000 it sends corrupted print data to the Print IPS.

ONYXtechtips

Over the last hour I tried to replicate the issue you have described and I think I may have found what is incorrect. I know i can hear the groans already, but it has to do with how your quickset is set up. Since each page has a different cut path assigned to it, you need to regard each page as an individual job. In the quickset settings, under the Multi-page PDF File settings, click on "Submit pages as individual jobs" to enable. Then each page will be brought into RIP Queue with its own independent cut path assigned to the file. If individual jobs is not selected, you are telling RIP Queue that the pages are all the same and only one cut path page is required.

1725546334431.png

I will discuss with my team about making improvements to this area for better understanding, but it is not a bug. It is however a job handling issue that needs to be better understood. Each page is different - the print settings maybe the same but the cut information is not, therefore, it must be handled as independent pages.