• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx question.

Nick Kraushaar

Hey everybody. I just had a question about an Onyx issue we have been having for a while now at our shop. So we run have one Onyx key, and are allowed to run three computers on the key. We run six machines off of the three computers. Two on each. The issue we have been having is when we are running out Latex 570 printers. If one is printing and it gets between a quarter and half of the print, and we go to press print on the other 570, it will crash Onyx which will result in print failure and machine failure. So we basically have to make sure we press print near the same time on both machines or else we have to wait for one to be finished in order to start the other. It also appears that if Onyx crashes for any reason while any one of the printers is printing, it will crash the printer and end up in another print failure. So we often try to refrain from ripping anything large or else we can crash an already brittle program. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hey everybody. I just had a question about an Onyx issue we have been having for a while now at our shop. So we run have one Onyx key, and are allowed to run three computers on the key. We run six machines off of the three computers. Two on each. The issue we have been having is when we are running out Latex 570 printers. If one is printing and it gets between a quarter and half of the print, and we go to press print on the other 570, it will crash Onyx which will result in print failure and machine failure. So we basically have to make sure we press print near the same time on both machines or else we have to wait for one to be finished in order to start the other. It also appears that if Onyx crashes for any reason while any one of the printers is printing, it will crash the printer and end up in another print failure. So we often try to refrain from ripping anything large or else we can crash an already brittle program. Any help would be great. Thank you.
This is/was very common for us. It is mostly fixed in 19 but we have other issues now.

ikarasu

For me.. When switching from one printer to the other, if you have a lot of stuff in holding it'll crash onyx. Onyx is pretty glitchy when running multiple printers.... Which sucks because it's a nice rip.

What version are you running? Onyx 19 comes with printer isolation.... So each printer has its own thread. So if onyx crashes, in theory your printer will keep printing. It works most of the time for us... There's been a few lockup that cause it to stop printing, but those are likely full computer glitches and not onyx glitches.

If you are running two of the same printer from onyx, try naming one of them something different. I had a similar issue with two Mimakis that went away after I gave the printers different names. It may or may not work, easy fix worth trying though.

Bly

When we had 2 x 360s we had the same issue.
Also If one was running a long job we could rarely get the other one to start.

Nick Kraushaar

So both machines do have the same firmware update. We always check weekly to make sure they do because we know the issues caused by different firmware updates. Both 570's run on there own version of Onyx, and they both run on one computer. Our 570's are also not directly connected to the computer we use for onyx. They are hooked up through a network. So we have two 570's running through one version of Onyx. They are both named two different titles on Onyx. And they are both connected through a network and not directly connected to the computer.