• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Optical Illusion or Am I Going Crazy?

What do you see?

• Paint peeling up

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Puffy paint with holes going down

Votes: 62 53.9%
  • Both

Votes: 28 24.3%

• Total voters

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes it is from Filter Forge. The responses thus far have served the purpose of dissuading me from using this particular filter.

Tony Teveris

Well after seeing the BIG pic that Doug posted I would change my vote to both, not just holes. Funny how I was just looking at this plug-in today. Working on code to use PS PIs in Omega. At the moment this is MY work and not a scheduled task. Adobe has made this a real PITA for other "host" applications. Lots of reverse engineering. My wife says I have been taking to myself all week.

Todd-sta

Your section looked immediately like a puffy quilt my grandma might have made...I saw no paint peeling whatsoever.

Then, I looked at Doug's Filter Forge sample where the entire lifesaver was shown...and it looked immediately like peeled paint and then just as quickly switched back to puffy quilt on me.

So, I guess I have your perceptive qualities - and yes, I'm wearing glasses too. :)

SignosaurusRex

If the cracks were not continuous and had portions of unbroken paint on the paths of the cracks then the illusion of being puffy or quilted would not be present no matter how one looks at the image. Just a thought.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
filter forge,, can u re render it??

It isn't a matter of re-rendering it. I've already attempted numerous changes and they all produce the same illusion. The filter can be edited to alter the results in a large number of ways, but that would really be in the province of the original author to address. It was authored by one of the principals of Filter Forge and they have told me that they do not see what I am talking about.

Ironically, the filter is currently ranked as the fourth most popular filter in their library of 4,102 filters.

Techman

well the top of the image doesn't match the lower.. on top the effect laps over the edge of that ring. that makes it look like a flat printed graphic,, while on the bottom ring area it looks like it is raised well above the surface.. Thus it does both ,, looks like a flat surface and raised 3d type effect..

In fact the lower left quadrant,, it has what looks like a piece of paper lapping over the edge and drooping down onto the lower surface..

I wonder if changing the lighting effects would help..

Not sure what effect you are wanting,, but would the DreamSuite autoeffects crack paint help ya..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Neither your suggestion or Replicator's suggestion can generate a seamless tile which is the main reason I use Filter Forge. With Replicator's suggestion I would also be unable to modify the size and amount of the peel as well as generate images at the size I use.