• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal says....Laminate reflective vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our problems are along roof lines, rear quarter panels, front fenders, trunk lids with no regards for vertical applications or flat upright. On some vehicles it faded at all areas and others maybe a front fender and a trunk while the cruiser next to it was the exact opposite and then maybe an older unit next to that one....... not at all. There was no rhyme or reason for what happened. It was mostly stuff we got a year or so ago [ maybe longer, since some time has passed] that coming back to haunt us.

We do a lot of police, fire and area trucks for many municipalities in our area. This one bunch got hit the hardest. I don't know, but maybe we just had a few contaminated rolls, but so far it's been open both ways between us and OraCal, except for the labor portion. I don't think any more are coming back, so I guess it's time to open that chapter again and follow up.

DesireeM

Our problems are along roof lines, rear quarter panels, front fenders, trunk lids with no regards for vertical applications or flat upright. On some vehicles it faded at all areas and others maybe a front fender and a trunk while the cruiser next to it was the exact opposite and then maybe an older unit next to that one....... not at all. There was no rhyme or reason for what happened. It was mostly stuff we got a year or so ago [ maybe longer, since some time has passed] that coming back to haunt us.

We do a lot of police, fire and area trucks for many municipalities in our area. This one bunch got hit the hardest. I don't know, but maybe we just had a few contaminated rolls, but so far it's been open both ways between us and OraCal, except for the labor portion. I don't think any more are coming back, so I guess it's time to open that chapter again and follow up.

Well the timeline for the product batch is roughly the same for us. All the stuff that's failing is roughly 1 year old. We only order in 10 yard lengths usually. We don't stock large amounts...just what we need that week so it wouldn't have been sitting around our shop for very long.

player

Is the top surface of the vinyl still intact? If so it looks like the foil layer just before the glue has been corroded by something. Maybe a chemical in the paint or something used in the installation?

DesireeM

Is the top surface of the vinyl still intact? If so it looks like the foil layer just before the glue has been corroded by something. Maybe a chemical in the paint or something used in the installation?

We supply the decals to the customer weeded and masked so they just rub them on with a credit card and then peel off the mask. You are right - the top surface of the vinyl is gone, along with the reflective stuff in the middle. What's left is a grey film and adhesive.

Stanton

I'd ask for that guy and request a 3-way with him . . .

:U Rock:

attachment.php

Are those holes all the way through,
or material missing in the glass bead/goo layer?

TammieH

Yeah, if its printed vinyl on a vehicle, you had better laminate it. If the print will be cleaned (ie window), or in a high traffic area, if you are worried about vandalism, Laminate!

The only thing we do not have laminated, are cheap temp signs. When I first started working here I had to convince the owner.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hmm,
A few things to consider.

- The cab company is installing reflective RTA decals...

- They use a Credit Card for installing pre-masked reflective vinyl so you know there
is a tremendous amount of bubbles and not a lot of pressure...

- Who knows what chemicals they're using to prep the vehicles. Ammonia, 409...

- No one really know if they are applying dry or with maybe w/ glass cleaner...

- It's a cab company so they replace and paint panels a lot, out gassing issue...

- Acid wash or high pressure power wash over a crappy install...

visual800

Wanna get their attention, instead of wasting your breath talking to them hit the internet, they will come to you. Over 25 years I hve see stuff fail time after time and NOT ONE COMPANY would make it right. They dont GAS! Its there job to block you and place blame

phototec

Hmm,

- They use a Credit Card for installing pre-masked reflective vinyl so you know there

- It's a cab company so they replace and paint panels a lot, out gassing issue...

:goodpost:

Mike, these are all good points, lots of unknowns here, so there is no telling what the cause may be (yet).

:smile:

striper14

haha thats a good one....laminating sheet reflective...your rep obviously thinks ur a complete bumpkin who believes any bit of twaddle he can dream up. reflectives been around forever but laminate has really only appeared since the rise of printers

many years ago the yellow cabs around here had some screen printed reflective 3M decals that they installed by standing 10 feet away then throwing it at the car then moving back & waving a kitchen knife at the door edges...no laminate & you needed a grinder to remove it

your pictures look like severe product failure, probably caused by installing on fresh paint...or some nasty vinyl eating bacteria unknown to science...:smile:

I'd give them replacement decals in 3M reflective ( unlaminated ). While normally I'd only warranty decals I install, I'd humor a good customer.Just train them a bit better...throw in a cheap squeegee. I'd also let your Oracal distributor know why you are moving to...???

Gene@mpls

I called Dan my local N.Glantz manager and talked to him about it- laminating is new to him too. He is going to a branch managers meeting Monday
and they will have Oracal (and specifically a reflective Oracal person) there and he will get the straight poop. Gene

DesireeM

Hmm,

Wouldn't most of those things cause the decal to fail at the adhesive level? The decals are sticking fine. No problems at all with adhesive. It's the reflective finish that's gone. Leaving behind the bottom layer and adhesive.

DesireeM

So here's an update on my progress with Oracal. I received a sample roll of their 5650 reflective vinyl in the mail today along with a sample roll of the 290 Overlaminate. I didn't receive the full roll of 5600 to replace the failed decals for my customer like they said though.....

So the 5650 is the same product except it has air release. So basically it solves none of the previous issues but I guess they are trying to sell me on this new product. AND the laminate isn't cheap if you consider it has to have an equal lifespan to be worth applying because apparently their reflective vinyls are only as good as the laminate you apply on top.

In conclusion there has been no progress.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 107

Mosh

I have been a hardcore Oracal fan for years, and I try not to use anything but Oracal. But lately I have been having more and more problems... contaminated rolls, crushed cores, dirt under the laminate right off the roll, and even sections of missing adhesive on vinyl. I'm loyal, but I'm starting to think I should be asking some questions...

I am in this boat.....

player

I use Orical/Orifol almost exclusively. No issues but you guys have me worried.

Does 3M reflective require a laminate if not printed?

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
reflective

interesting conversation here.
(notice the word "con" is in here.)

1. is this vehicle the only one out of many?

i have a theory.

after looking at the picture, it seems clear to me that the mechanic who worked on this engine leaned right all over that decal. a lot.
i find the wear on it consistent with jeans or dungarees or whatever that person was wearing. if this was product failure, the "entire" decal would suffer, not just at the top.
i have unlaminated blue reflective on my shop van. its been on there for three years now. it looks very well, still.

-mosher
222b baker street,
london, EN

gabagoo

From your second picture it looks like something has gotten into the middle of the vinyl between the color and the clear on top. Looks just like that moldy look I had. I would think that this roll was defective as the top layer was not adhering properly. I am staying away from reflective Oracal until you get a proper answer from them.

DesireeM

interesting conversation here.
(notice the word "con" is in here.)

1. is this vehicle the only one out of many?

i have a theory.

after looking at the picture, it seems clear to me that the mechanic who worked on this engine leaned right all over that decal. a lot.
i find the wear on it consistent with jeans or dungarees or whatever that person was wearing. if this was product failure, the "entire" decal would suffer, not just at the top.
i have unlaminated blue reflective on my shop van. its been on there for three years now. it looks very well, still.

-mosher
222b baker street,
london, EN

The wear on that particular decal IS odd however there are decals on the doors and trunk as well on multiple vehicles that have the same issue. They are all worn out to different degrees and in different patterns.

mpn

One more out there question... Are all the problem areas going from the top down like the front fender pics? Maybe a harsh cleaner used then seeped from the top down, kinda eating at the reflective only?

I see the above comment and wonder if it was cleaner that was hand wiped on the car, giving the sporadic failure patterns