• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Orajet cal getting out of hand $$$

TheSnowman

I'm paying $206/roll for 54" 3651, and that's delivered. I don't use Oracal laminate, so I can't chime in on that. Canadian, that should be about $258. I'd just shop around, you should be able to do better.

Colin

Was thinking of importing pallet of vinyl/lam from instant one media (which will cut shipping cost) Was wondering if any shops in canada would be interested in buying some media? Alberta/Manitoba? I think pallet is 35 rolls, but need to double check

You may want to double check on the courier charge for a pallet. My experience was a local one, but I recall ordering a bunch of misc 4x8 sheets of material last year, and the sender elected to ship them on a pallet instead of 2 or 3 cardboard packs, and the extra fee just because it was a "pallet" was exorbitant.

Let me know what you arrange.

DesireeM

Grimco/Proveer's house brand TruStock is really decent stuff. That's what we use for most jobs where calendered vinyl is appropriate. They have an intermediate version that's only $188.95 for a 54"x150' roll and it's a 4year, 3mil vinyl. We use that for the majority of our jobs. Aluminum parking signs, billboards, roadsigns (mostly laminated mind you) and it lasts for a really long time. We haven't really had it fail on us for any indoor or outdoor signs in the years I've been here. And signs from before my time are still good aside from some sun fading.

We use avery, oracal and other brands for everything else obviously... Wrap vinyl, perforated, translucent, anti-grafitti etc...

Trustock's options are limited but why pay so much more when they're vinyl does the trick.

reQ

You may want to double check on the courier charge for a pallet. My experience was a local one, but I recall ordering a bunch of misc 4x8 sheets of material last year, and the sender elected to ship them on a pallet instead of 2 or 3 cardboard packs, and the extra fee just because it was a "pallet" was exorbitant.

Let me know what you arrange.

Its not going to be cheap anyways. But it will be much cheaper per roll if you compare shipping of just 1-2 rolls. Right now waiting for response from IOM and will see.

petepaz

oracal (orafal) has been jumping their prices a few times a year for a while and they are not shy about it. we use the 3651 for a ton of stuff, it's a decent cal vinyl. i have one customer that i have to use it for and can't change. changed once and screwed up a big job for them. i also use the instant one media vinyl/lam which is good stuff but every vinyl has it's roll.
if you talk to your supplier and see if they can work out some better pricing for you or maybe if you order more rolls at once you can get better pricing. that's what i have done and i get a pretty good deal on it. not sure about Canada but there are plenty of companies that sell this stuff and if you are a good enough customer they will try to work with you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I better than anyone, hates to spend more than I have to on anything, but we're talking less than a thin dime here.

At $300 a roll, it's costing you about 40¢ a square foot to do whatever you want with it. At $230 a roll, it's 31¢ a square. So, whether you're doing a wrap with 250 square or a 4' x 8' 2 sided sign, it's not more than a $23 to $6. difference. You can't get your customer to cough up and extra $23.00 for a wrap job ??

Now, before you jump down my throat and say..... if I go through 3 rolls a month and to save $2,600 a year is significant...... if you're customer already paid you and it didn't affect your bottom dollar price and you got the job..... who cares ?? It matters nothing and does nothing to your bottom line.

If something costs me $5.00 and I charge $25.00... I made out well.
If something cost me $5.09 and I charge $25.10.... I still made out fine.

reQ

I better than anyone, hates to spend more than I have to on anything, but we're talking less than a thin dime here.

At $300 a roll, it's costing you about 40¢ a square foot to do whatever you want with it. At $230 a roll, it's 31¢ a square. So, whether you're doing a wrap with 250 square or a 4' x 8' 2 sided sign, it's not more than a $23 to $6. difference. You can't get your customer to cough up and extra $23.00 for a wrap job ??

Now, before you jump down my throat and say..... if I go through 3 rolls a month and to save $2,600 a year is significant...... if you're customer already paid you and it didn't affect your bottom dollar price and you got the job..... who cares ?? It matters nothing and does nothing to your bottom line.

Yes, i see your point. Same with OEM vs bulk ink debates i guess. For me, i like to try new stuff sometimes, its why i buy different materials

Colin

I knew that was coming. Unfortunately if one's competitor(s) are using cheaper media, cheaper inks, cheaper substrate, then it can & does make a difference between getting the job and losing it. As we all know, many if not most of our customers are seeking out the lowest price. I have recently been ground on tiny little jobs for a large high-end real estate company; they are comparing my price to another sign shop, and it is possible/likely that the other sign shop is using the cheaper, thinner alupanel; 3rd party inks, and $99.00 a 54" roll media. No matter how much I mention this to them, I can't prove what the other sign shop is using, but at their prices, it couldn't be the better quality materials that I use.

CanuckSigns

I knew that was coming. Unfortunately if one's competitor(s) are using cheaper media, cheaper inks, cheaper substrate, then it can & does make a difference between getting the job and losing it. As we all know, many if not most of our customers are seeking out the lowest price. I have recently been ground on tiny little jobs for a large high-end real estate company; they are comparing my price to another sign shop, and it is possible/likely that the other sign shop is using the cheaper, thinner alupanel; 3rd party inks, and $99.00 a 54" roll media. No matter how much I mention this to them, I can't prove what the other sign shop is using, but at their prices, it couldn't be the better quality materials that I use.

Real Estate Companies don't care about anything but price, use the cheapest c**p you can get your hands on, there is no loyalty from these people, even if you've provided great service and pricing for years and years, if someone undercuts you by $0.50, they drop you like yesterday's laundry.

Has a "high-end" real estate agent in here a few months ago, printed some small 8" x 24" rider signs on coroplast, the bill was under $100 in total, she starts going on about how much more expensive we are than the other shop she uses, can we drop the price down by $10 to match them blah, blah, blah. I held my ground and as she was driving away I got a glimpse of her $120,000 Mercedes SLK SUV.

reQ

Real Estate Companies don't care about anything but price, use the cheapest c**p you can get your hands on, there is no loyalty from these people, even if you've provided great service and pricing for years and years, if someone undercuts you by $0.50, they drop you like yesterday's laundry.

Has a "high-end" real estate agent in here a few months ago, printed some small 8" x 24" rider signs on coroplast, the bill was under $100 in total, she starts going on about how much more expensive we are than the other shop she uses, can we drop the price down by $10 to match them blah, blah, blah. I held my ground and as she was driving away I got a glimpse of her $120,000 Mercedes SLK SUV.

Dealing with Remax, Century21 & couple other smaller companies... did not have any complaints so far, but had to drop 2 real estate companies due to bitching about prices