• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting over full wrap

HulkSmash

We have a client who bought a used extra-large trailer, complete with crappy, old, faded, full wrap including the former companies name and logo all over it. Of course no one wants to spend any real money to remove this monstrosity, so I'm here to ask for your advice.

I had an idea to literally paint over the wrap, and then just stick some letters on top. Has anyone ever done this? I haven't even seen the actual trailer yet (only pictures), so I don't know if the wrap is laminated or not. But I have a feeling its not laminated due to the extensive fading across the wrap. Also, I'm sure this isn't going to look great, but he doesn't want to invest in old equipment. He doesn't think the trailer is going to last more than a few months.

My other idea is to simply wrap over the existing graphics. My main concern with this is those freaking rivets. How well will wrapping over wrapped rivets wear? :peace!:

Does anyone have a better idea? Normally I would ignore these types of customers, but this is actually one of my best clients... And he typically isn't a cheapskate, so I will honor his request to find the most economical solution to this problem. Just this one time.

Are you joking. This is a bad idea. it's going to fail because of his cheapness, and you're going to be blamed for it

fresh

I'm glad you like me, my comments in this thread just lost me what little credibility I had here for those who read it

Whatever, haters gonna hate. Apparently those members with huge shops and massive accounts have the luxury of not listening to their client's needs. They are happy to keep doing what they are doing, and have no desire to be flexible or try new things. They already have all the answers, and if you try to do something different, you must be a slacker / newbie / moron. Remember, they already have all the answers. If your experiences differ from theirs, then you must either be wrong, lying, or just plain dumb. Oh, and if you ask a question, WOAH. Look out! Aren't you ashamed for not knowing the simple answer already?? Idiot!

Artworks

Artworks
I've done trailers like these in the past. Remove the old graphics with CHEAP stripe off wheels cuz you will go through quite a few of them!!! Then wrap the entire trailer even if you have to use excess white vinyl and charge the customer less for it (the white excess vinyl) per sq ft. The end product will look brand new...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I live on the Jersey Shore. You have no idea what it is like down here right now. There is so much work that needs to be done, people are going through tools and equipment like you don't know. Tree guys are replacing chainsaws every few days, everyone is buying new trailers, dump trucks, pick-ups. I feel stupid even sharing this info with the world... The number of storm chasers who have popped up is nuts. I don't want to invite more outsiders into our communities. There are enough strangers lurking about as it is.

Actually I do know, last March a tornado came down my road here in KY. they are still cleaning up and rebuilding right now. Thankfully it missed our home by 4 or so homes each way (my home sits in a valley; tornado stayed on the ridgeline) it is not fun, make sure all valuables are secured.

fresh

Actually I do know, last March a tornado came down my road here in KY. they are still cleaning up and rebuilding right now. Thankfully it missed our home by 4 or so homes each way (my home sits in a valley; tornado stayed on the ridgeline) it is not fun, make sure all valuables are secured.

Tell me again how one tornado compares to one of the largest and most expensive natural disasters in US History?

CanuckSigns

Whatever, haters gonna hate. Apparently those members with huge shops and massive accounts have the luxury of not listening to their client's needs. They are happy to keep doing what they are doing, and have no desire to be flexible or try new things. They already have all the answers, and if you try to do something different, you must be a slacker / newbie / moron. Remember, they already have all the answers. If your experiences differ from theirs, then you must either be wrong, lying, or just plain dumb. Oh, and if you ask a question, WOAH. Look out! Aren't you ashamed for not knowing the simple answer already?? Idiot!

It has nothing to do with "trying new things" Most of the people who gave you advise are trying to help, just because they aren't telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean they aren't helping.

basically there are 2 ways of wrapping a vehicle, the right way and the wrong way. The right way involves removing the old wrap and redoing it with the proper material.

Experience has taught me that even when a customer tells me to do it on the cheap, when it fails, they quickly forget that they were a cheapskate and it all of a sudden becomes your fault.

If you do decide to go the cheap route, do yourself a favour and get him to sign a waiver.

SAR.Summerlin

:goodpost:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Actually fresh, you didn't present it from the beginning the way you eventually came to tell the story. It sounded like the job from H*ll and you were looking for excuses or ways to get out of doing this altogether. That's why I said just screw it and do it, but don't give any warranties and have him sign a waiver.

If you don't like the advice you get until someone agrees with you, why come here at all ?? Not my advice, I really don't care how someone wants to report how they did it wrong and why...... and then defend it.

I'm more worried about the newbie in two months from now, looks up this thread by chance and sees everyone agreeing on how to screw up the industry some more, without having the facts to support how and why to do it correctly, That's all.

There are no haters or big shops that don't care. We've all been around the block and in some cases, more years then some of these members are alive.

Flexibility has nothing at all to do with bending the rules all kinds of ways to make the industry look stoopid.

You're the only one here judging others and calling names at people, so grow a set, suck it up and do whatever your customer wants and if it goes wrong, please don't report it. Tell us how marvelous you did the job and everyone will be the happier.

I can't believe all the people who don't want to do it right, but want advice on how to do it wrong. Is this an epidemic or sumptin' ??

fresh

basically there are 2 ways of wrapping a vehicle, the right way and the wrong way. The right way involves removing the old wrap and redoing it with the proper material.

So, there are five different successive examples in this thread that are different from your "right way". Only two ways you say?

CanuckSigns

yes only 2 ways.

every other example in this thread is followed by a warning that it may not work.

but it seems you only want to hear that your idea of painting over a failing wrap is perfectly fine, so hear it goes.

"Yeah go for it, putting out a crappy job in order to save your customer a few bucks will in no way make your shop look bad, or make the entire industry look like a bunch of hacks by everyone who sees it"

happy?

fresh

Actually fresh, you didn't present it from the beginning the way you eventually came to tell the story. It sounded like the job from H*ll and you were looking for excuses or ways to get out of doing this altogether. That's why I said just screw it and do it, but don't give any warranties and have him sign a waiver.

If you don't like the advice you get until someone agrees with you, why come here at all ?? Not my advice, I really don't care how someone wants to report how they did it wrong and why...... and then defend it.

I'm more worried about the newbie in two months from now, looks up this thread by chance and sees everyone agreeing on how to screw up the industry some more, without having the facts to support how and why to do it correctly, That's all.

There are no haters or big shops that don't care. We've all been around the block and in some cases, more years then some of these members are alive.

Flexibility has nothing at all to do with bending the rules all kinds of ways to make the industry look stoopid.

You're the only one here judging others and calling names at people, so grow a set, suck it up and do whatever your customer wants and if it goes wrong, please don't report it. Tell us how marvelous you did the job and everyone will be the happier.

I can't believe all the people who don't want to do it right, but want advice on how to do it wrong. Is this an epidemic or sumptin' ??

Gino,
You clearly did not read my initial post. Also, you called my client a "mental midget"! And you're going to complain that I'm calling you names?

I have a question for you. Lets say you have a hobby, like building model airplanes. You spend a good deal of money on your hobby, and you are well informed on how they work, etc. One day, you have the opportunity to purchase a pretty cool model for super cheap. You've always wanted to see what happens if you fly the plane out over a huge gorge, but were worried that you wouldn't be able to retrieve it if something went awry. Now this model, that you got for super cheap, needs a new widget. The widget is VERY expensive, but you don't want to spend the money because you are just planning on flying it off a cliff the next day. Someone gives you the option to rig something up that will work well temporarily, but will give you no guarantees that it will last longer than a single flight.

What are you going to do? CHEAP OUT and go for the rigged up widget, or spend the cash because if its worth doing, its worth doing right?

fresh

yes only 2 ways.

every other example in this thread is followed by a warning that it may not work.

but it seems you only want to hear that your idea of painting over a failing wrap is perfectly fine, so hear it goes.

"Yeah go for it, putting out a crappy job in order to save your customer a few bucks will in no way make your shop look bad, or make the entire industry look like a bunch of hacks by everyone who sees it"

happy?

Where did I say it has to last longer than a few months? Also, he doesn't care if it doesn't look perfect. The requirements are 1. Put my name and number on the trailer 2. Be economical. The trailer is on its last leg. I agree with him, why waste money fixing this one up when it can break down any day.

Last edited:

Jillbeans

I think, if it was my job, and the client expected a cheap quick fix, I would indeed paint the trailer.
I'd use Ronan Speednamel and a regular paint roller on a telescoping handle.
I'd clean the truck with a pressure washer and let it dry, then paint the entire background neatly as I could.
Then I would either project and paint their logo on it or do that part in cut vynull.
Paint is cheap.
It is far less labor to repaint than to remove the old wrap.
I'd make him sign a waiver saying something to the effect that he asked for the paint job and did not care if it damaged the trailer in any way.
Love....Jill

CanuckSigns

if your customer doesn't care how it looks and it's only for a few months, why don't you apply the graphics to aluminum panels and screw them to the side of the trailer? it will be cheap, and won't look any worse than any of the other cheap methods proposed so far.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Didn't say you were calling me names, but I'm glad you made that clear to me. :iamwithstupid

Anyway, calling your customer a mental midget has no reflection on you, your experience or knowledge in this field. However, calling whomever doesn't agree with your hack kinda job an idiot and all those other names is directed at us who are trying to fix your situation completely, so there is a difference.

As for your airplane analogy..... how does that even compare to what your thread is about. You're now talking about something that costs far-far less and is about me and my working on my own stuff where I can do what I want to me, myself and I, but I'm not cutting corners on any of my other friends flying these models around and it's my educated decision to seek and find my widget and do as I please where it affects me and my pocket alone. No one else's. Your little project here can affect a whole lot of things.

If this is a two month or even 10 month deal, then so be it, just have him sign a waiver. Paint the stoopid thing and when it lasts for a year and a half, he's gonna say to you.... you know what fresh, let's start lettering all my stuff this way, so I can save a buck. I'll pay ya well, and before ya know it, other people in town are gonna learn that fresh the signmaker knows how to make really cheap signs, let's go to him and we'll all save money.

How on earth are you gonna make profits and meet payments if you create a trend you can't reverse without it hurting your reputation ??

All I'm saying is there is more at stake than this one dumb trailer. You could be setting yourself up for disaster without even knowing it. Like wats said, there are only two ways to do something... the right way and ALL the other bad ways. Will they work, yeah, but why bother going the low road ??

fresh

if your customer doesn't care how it looks and it's only for a few months, why don't you apply the graphics to aluminum panels and screw them to the side of the trailer? it will be cheap, and won't look any worse than any of the other cheap methods proposed so far.

This is a great question, and a helpful suggestion. We considered doing this, but because the entire trailer is wrapped with another companies' name and images, it will be difficult to cover up everything in this method. However, if the owner wants to be really cheap and ghetto, we may just throw caution to the wind and make this be the crappiest looking thing out there.

I think he has more sense then to do that though ;)

fresh

. Your little project here can affect a whole lot of things.

If this is a two month or even 10 month deal, then so be it, just have him sign a waiver. Paint the stoopid thing and when it lasts for a year and a half, he's gonna say to you.... you know what fresh, let's start lettering all my stuff this way, so I can save a buck. I'll pay ya well, and before ya know it, other people in town are gonna learn that fresh the signmaker knows how to make really cheap signs, let's go to him and we'll all save money.

How on earth are you gonna make profits and meet payments if you create a trend you can't reverse without it hurting your reputation ??

All I'm saying is there is more at stake than this one dumb trailer. You could be setting yourself up for disaster without even knowing it. Like wats said, there are only two ways to do something... the right way and ALL the other bad ways. Will they work, yeah, but why bother going the low road ??

I understand and agree with your concern that doing shoddy work can effect someone's reputation. But did you happen to read my initial post?
Normally I would ignore these types of customers, but this is actually one of my best clients... And he typically isn't a cheapskate, so I will honor his request to find the most economical solution to this problem. Just this one time.

And the airplane example is the exact same thing. He's going to fly thing thing off a cliff in a few months, why spend lots of money on it?