• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting over full wrap

HulkSmash

you start off with...

....so I'm here to ask for your advice.

My other idea is to simply wrap over the existing graphics. My main concern with this is those freaking rivets. How well will wrapping over wrapped rivets wear? :peace!:

....Does anyone have a better idea?[/QUOTE]

then you say

Whatever, haters gonna hate. Apparently those members with huge shops and massive accounts have the luxury of not listening to their client's needs. They are happy to keep doing what they are doing, and have no desire to be flexible or try new things. They already have all the answers, and if you try to do something different, you must be a slacker / newbie / moron. Remember, they already have all the answers. If your experiences differ from theirs, then you must either be wrong, lying, or just plain dumb. Oh, and if you ask a question, WOAH. Look out! Aren't you ashamed for not knowing the simple answer already?? Idiot!

Why ask if you can't handle it? I love member like you who think they know everything, ask for help, get it, and then rage. Why even ask. If i think something is going to fail i tell my customer, educate him, and tell him that i do not want to do this because it's not the right way. It's stuff like this that ruins our industry. If you want to be known for shoddy work, you're on the right track.

haters gonna hate. ignorant.

fresh

you start off with...

....so I'm here to ask for your advice.

My other idea is to simply wrap over the existing graphics. My main concern with this is those freaking rivets. How well will wrapping over wrapped rivets wear? :peace!:

....Does anyone have a better idea?[/QUOTE]

then you say

Why ask if you can't handle it? I love member like you who think they know everything, ask for help, get it, and then rage. Why even ask. If i think something is going to fail i tell my customer, educate him, and tell him that i do not want to do this because it's not the right way. It's stuff like this that ruins our industry. If you want to be known for shoddy work, you're on the right track.

haters gonna hate. ignorant.

Clearly the better idea is to remove the old wrap, and replace it with high-quality, laminated, cast material. If that is what I planned on doing, why would I ask in the first place? If the answer to my question is "its going to suck." Then so be it. Its going to suck, I'm not disagreeing with that. Did someone say that its going to look good? No. Did I say it had to look good? No.

You can give your opinion, and I'm happy to learn from those who enjoy sharing their expertise. There are too many people on here who would rather show how superior they are to everyone else, instead of being helpful and educational. Feel free to pick and choose what you want to read, ignore the details, and stand up on your high horse informing everyone how wonderful you are. Don't forget to remind everyone that 100% of the work you do is of the utmost quality, even if your client doesn't need it to be! And I'll feel free to ignore those people, and instead be grateful to people who share real experiences and offer valuable, authentic advice.

ProWraps

ur customer brought you a turd sandwich. your deciding to take a big bite.

this thread is pointless. you knew the answer before you asked the question.

the right way is to remove the wrap. asking professionals how to do something wrong is a lesson in idiocy.

Last edited:

HulkSmash

who's standing on a high horse.. Are you high? You just said you're grateful for advice, you were give it.. why are you so angry
I simple just said it's going to fail and you should do it the right way.
You made your mind up before you made this thread.. why even ask..

This thread should be called

"HOW TO F*#&($^ DO IT WRONG THE BEST?"

fresh

One last question... Would you risk losing a good client because you refuse to sway from your usual methods?

Client: I've got this thing that is a big pain in the behind, its only temporary, and I'm planning on getting a brand new one in a few months. What can we do?
Sign Shop: Your ONLY option is to drop ~ $5K. Its the only way to do it. I don't care that its temporary, I only know of one way to do it, THE RIGHT WAY.
Client: That isn't in my budget, I don't need it to be perfect, and since you can't come up with a more economical solution, I'll find someone else who will do something for me for less. I'll start using them for all my other signs too. See ya!

I certainly won't lose this guy because I refuse to work with him. And I will absolutely take the clients that you don't want to help, and most likely get them to pay more than they were paying you.

HulkSmash

One last question... Would you risk losing a good client because you refuse to sway from your usual methods?

Client: I've got this thing that is a big pain in the behind, its only temporary, and I'm planning on getting a brand new one in a few months. What can we do?
Sign Shop: Your ONLY option is to drop ~ $5K. Its the only way to do it. I don't care that its temporary, I only know of one way to do it, THE RIGHT WAY.
Client: That isn't in my budget, I don't need it to be perfect, and since you can't come up with a more economical solution, I'll find someone else who will do something for me for less. I'll start using them for all my other signs too. See ya!

I certainly won't lose this guy because I refuse to work with him. And I will absolutely take the clients that you don't want to help, and most likely get them to pay more than they were paying you.

my customer would THANK me for being honest with him, and we'll figure out another way. But please by all means

ProWraps

has nothing to do with your customer.

has everything to do with you asking a professional sign forum how to do something wrong, then getting pissy about the answers.

if you want to do it wrong, go do it. report to us how it goes. how the F(&(&*# are we supposed to tell you how to so something idiotic and wrong when we spend tons of money and time to do things right?

fresh

my customer would THANK me for being honest with him, and we'll figure out another way. But please by all means

Who said I wasn't being honest? Seriously, the biggest problem I have is that so many of you consistently ignore what is being posted. Instead you make assumptions, don't read through the thread, and then declare that the person asking the question is dense. The first thing I said to my client was that this is going to be a big old mess, and to do it right is going to be costly. He understands, we are not idiots.

Also, you keep forgetting this isn't someone off the street. When people come in my shop looking for a deal I send them packing. This is an anomaly for us, which is why I came here to see if anyone else has done anything similar, and what their experiences have been. If you've never painted over vinyl, why did you even bother to comment? If the only input you can offer is negative in nature, I would hope that you just keep those comments to yourself. Clearly there is a group of members here who feel the need to comment on every thread, usually in a negative manner.

I guess some people just need to knock others down to feel better about themselves.

tsgstl

Here's another wrong option
Print a banner and get some sheet metal screws and fender washers.
$1 a foot wholesale and a couple hours with a cordless drill. Done

fresh

who's standing on a high horse.. Are you high? You just said you're grateful for advice, you were give it.. why are you so angry
I simple just said it's going to fail and you should do it the right way.
You made your mind up before you made this thread.. why even ask..

You are proving my point. If you have no experience painting over a wrap, or wrapping over a wrap, how do you know its going to fail? I'm not trying to be snarky, but how can you make a declaration about something that you have no experience with? If you have done this in the past, please enlighten me. I really do want to know what you did, and I guess since it didn't work out, what exactly happened?

The reason I disregard your "advice" is because you aren't adding anything new to the conversation. I'm a scientific person, I need evidence.

S'N'S

Fresh, I would wait and see how bad/good the wrap is and if it's holding up ok slap the cheapest vinyl over the top, if it's only got to last a few months it will be fine. I've done this before, but made damn sure the customer knows it won't last too.

Jillbeans

I'll find someone else who will do something for me for less. I'll start using them for all my other signs too. See ya!
...there's your answer.
If a client said that to me, I wouldn't care where he went, and he could kiss my soft pale @ss to boot.

Pat Whatley

Tell me again how one tornado compares to one of the largest and most expensive natural disasters in US History?

If it's your neighborhood that gets wiped out it compares completely.

Here's another wrong option
Print a banner and get some sheet metal screws and fender washers.
$1 a foot wholesale and a couple hours with a cordless drill. Done

This is the best answer you're going to get. Stretch it tight and nobody is going to know the difference from 10' away. When the trailer falls apart he can pull the banners off and use them somewhere else.

CanuckSigns

I wonder if there is a forum for electricians somewhere on the net that has posts like this?

"My customer needs his house re-wired, but it's a flip, so he only needs it to last for a year untill he sells it, I can get a hold of some cheap parts from china that aren't UL tested, should I use those to save my customer a few bucks?"

The sign trade seems to be one of the only ones where the professionals will try to undercut themselves in a fast race to the bottom.

fresh

This is the best answer you're going to get. Stretch it tight and nobody is going to know the difference from 10' away. When the trailer falls apart he can pull the banners off and use them somewhere else.

Thank you for the input, I think I'm going to make this suggestion.

fresh

The sign trade seems to be one of the only ones where the professionals will try to undercut themselves in a fast race to the bottom.

Right. Because when a long-time client comes in with a set budget, and we're not used to working within that budget, we are undercutting ourselves. Right.

You are telling me that in your history of of making signs, you've NEVER cut corners to help a good customer out? NEVER ONCE?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
fresh, do you realize that your thread has taken on such a different approach from your initial request, that it's hard to understand what you're really trying to accomplish ??

You tell us, this is your best and a high paying customer... so he must believe in you. However, if you're honest with him, he's gonna leave you for a hack ?? Is that what you really want, your own words, he's looking for a hack in this particular case ??

I have customers [new and old] that are always looking for a cheaper way to do things, but I don't revert to becoming a hack in order to satisfy them. Doing what you're suggesting is just whoring yourself out.

High horse, big accounts, more business than you can shake a stick at.......... ?? You're probably never gonna see this if you continue making wrong decisions.

Regardless, you've been given all kinds of suggestions and some are really good, while some are plain downright ridiculous, but YOU now can make the educated decision of how you want to proceed.

One thing in your defense. When many here, or other areas of your life, are trying to help you by telling what's probably gonna happen.... and it doesn't happen the way they said.... we're still happy for you. Generalizations usually hold true, but there are exceptions..... it's just, why play it so dangerous ??