• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Papyrus...

SAR.Summerlin

:thread
My rant "word art". Not your friend just because it isn't straight font doesn't make it a logo. I have one customer who keeps bringing me powerpoint files and wants me to redesign them at the correct proportions but keep his word art (he even put registration marks next to them) saying these are his logos and we can't change them. :frustrated:

mark in tx

I had a customer ruin a fantastic wrap design by insisting on bleeding cowboy.

I told him I would make it look like he was a national company, not just 2 guys riding around with a carpet cleaning truck.

He insisted on the company name in bleeding cowboy because he had just gotten a tattoo in bleeding cowboy.

I swear, some day I'll do a wrap with bleeding cowboy, papyrus, and jokerman.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Not that I want to defend Papyrus, but you saying Cameron actually commented on it was interesting. I found this.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-04 at 11.32.20 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-04 at 11.32.20 AM.png
    33 KB · Views: 74

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Not that I want to defend Papyrus, but you saying Cameron actually commented on it was interesting. I found this.

Im guessing this is his recanting what he said in a previous interview. That or you can only put things that are true on the internet... where'd you hear that?

the internet.

SignManiac

Most of the time it's not the fault of the font, but the use of a particular font for the wrong usage. Just saying.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If something like this gets you all riled up, perhaps you should look for a job memorizing the directions and stops on an elevator and become an operator. Or maybe you could count vehicles crossing a certain bridge without using a counter.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
If something like this gets you all riled up, perhaps you should look for a job memorizing the directions and stops on an elevator and become an operator. Or maybe you could count vehicles crossing a certain bridge without using a counter.

You're absolutely correct! Perhaps I should... :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This seems easy enough........

I have a bridge you might be interested in buying so you can count your vehicles crossing each and every day.

manhattan bridge.jpg

Caitlin

I just read this thread and the very next website I went to, Papyrus is staring me in the face. :banghead:

I don't get why so many people hate on Papyrus. Granted I wouldn't use it on a large number of projects, but if used properly, I see nothing wrong with it. Anything that's overused tends to stink, but if I was going to complain about fonts I don't like due to blatant overuse, my top 3 would probably be Comic Sans, Bleeding Cowboys, and Algerian...god I hate Algerian.

I also don't get the hatred toward Serpentine. I think Serpentine is a great looking font for the right type of job. Granted it is also very overused, but not to the point that I would hate it, but maybe things are different around Pennsylvania.

Oh yeah, and I'm also not a fan of Antique Olive. I freakin' see it EVERYWHERE around here, and although it's a relatively decent sans serif for general purpose signage, I would almost rather just see Arial in it's place.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe this.

Many of you don't know which fonts are good for signs vs. birthday cards or wedding invitations.... or just plain labels.

There are fonts which are suitable for a wide variety of uses... and then, there are some with only very small uses. The common usage of computers and the various type styles available to us, doesn't necessarily mean they should be used on everything randomly. There's a reason some work in some places and not others, while certain others work well, where others do not.

Having a basis or fundamental knowledge of type styles, or what is now the new fad word .... FONTS, is the real issue here.

Someone recently told me off in another thread by saying/indicating everyone is a sign maker if they are here. This thread proves it. Learning things as you go..... you'll never have a day or week or semester on the use of fonts and what makes some work and others not so much. Half the profs at these graphic schools don't even know. Now, there's nothing wrong with change or new ideas, that's for sure, but to give someone software and then lead them to believe that any font is theirs to be done with whatever their little heart desires is just wrong.

• What makes a typeface work ??
  • What determines a typeface weight ??
  • Vertical aspects of a particular family ??
  • Usage for the style being used ??
  • Sans or not ??

I've designed some very nice cards and other projects using Papyrus and some of the other styles many of you frown upon. Again, it's all in how you carry it off and use decorative fonts, vs. display or whatever it is you desire to use.

Remember, fonts is/are only one element of many involved with composition, so understand your fonts/typefaces and you'll understand what makes typefaces work round the world and not on this site.