• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Perks to Owning Your Own Shop

billsines

What would you say are the top three benefits to owning your own shop?

How long have you owned your own shop?

If someone came along and asked you about opening their own shop, would you advise them to do so or not?

Just curious to know some other shop owners' views...

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Number one, Eat when I'm hungry. Two, nap when I'm tired, and three, get things done around the house and shop when they need fixed.
There is more discipline to it than that, but those are the basics.
Work around the house or shop, or on the truck or whatever, are scheduled into the day like anything else.
Been in this trade all my life, learning hand lettering in the mid 70's.
Tried the factory gig as a young man. Nope! Not for me
Opening their own shop? Give it a go! It won't happen over night, but you'll have your whole lifetime to make it so!

FatCat

To be fair, I think you have to include the top 3 negatives if you are going to fairly assess what it is to be an owner..

Benefits; I work for myself, I can set my own schedule (We don't work weekends), I make the rules here.

Negatives; I work 60+ hours a week instead of 40, it seems the demands of the customer, my employees and business come before most of mine or my family, I am ultimately responsible for the overall success or failure of this business.

How long; 8 years

Would I advise someone to open a shop: Depends, being good at making or installing signs isn't the same as running a business. I feel I am a better sign maker than a business man, and because I don't have a formal business degree I've struggled with certain aspects of running a business over the years, but I am getting better...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
+1 to eating when you want! Never thought about that. And another for scheduling personal to-dos during the workday, I hated having to schedule that kind of stuff during lunch breaks and on weekends.

billsines

To be fair, I think you have to include the top 3 negatives if you are going to fairly assess what it is to be an owner..

Benefits; I work for myself, I can set my own schedule (We don't work weekends), I make the rules here.

Negatives; I work 60+ hours a week instead of 40, it seems the demands of the customer, my employees and business come before most of mine or my family, I am ultimately responsible for the overall success or failure of this business.

How long; 8 years

Would I advise someone to open a shop: Depends, being good at making or installing signs isn't the same as running a business. I feel I am a better sign maker than a business man, and because I don't have a formal business degree I've struggled with certain aspects of running a business over the years, but I am getting better...

I agree on putting the negatives in there. I should have put that in the original post.

I hear you on the responsibility part: it is always there and will never go away. It can be a heavy load at times. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but business ownership is not all roses and pansies and easy. There is a high learning curve with a great deal of responsibility.

And you're right on the sign maker aspect. I have always felt I was better with the machines, design work, and technical stuff than business type things. The best sign maker in the world could only be a mediocre business owner, heck even a poor business owner. If you open your own shop you will be doing more business related stuff than sign stuff. And as you grow, you will do even less.

billsines

+1 to eating when you want! Never thought about that. And another for scheduling personal to-dos during the workday, I hated having to schedule that kind of stuff during lunch breaks and on weekends.

I hear you on that too! I have a dr. appointment here in about an hour and a half!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're your own boss, but you must be very disciplined to do so.

Largely depends on how many employees you have, if any. When you do it all, there's almost never enough hours in the day, week or month to get it all done. You're hammered all day long 24/7/365. Your responsibilities end however, with you. Once you have employees, you hafta keep them going and you have a responsibility to them as well as your customers and you come last.

Lastly, you have the largest payroll when you own. Your taxes go to all of the people who don't wanna work and suck off the government teat.

It's great for write-offs and being able to say tongue-in-cheek, you rein business for yourself.

Signsfyi

I built my shop on my property. I have triplets. I get to hangout with them off and on through the day. Later, when they are older, I should be able to schedule around most of their activities. Flexibility is the biggest asset, but you do have to pay for it in time somewhere else.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't own a sign shop, I am a design firm that freelances for sign shops, I'm also a partner in a design firm that designs large sign projects

I have been on my own full time for 13 years...

Perks:
-- It allowed me to raise my kids on my own.
-- It's allowing me to help my aging and sick parents.
-- NAPS!

Pitfalls:
-- It sucks when work dries up.
-- Constantly looking for more work.
-- You can easily work yourself into poverty if you are not careful.
-- I work more than 40 hours a week.
-- Before partnering up, it was not much fun working by myself.
-- Vacation? What's a vacation?
-- Paperwork... I hate the paperwork/accounting/billing/taxes thing...

Advice:
-- Too many people get into this without knowing a thing about this business, if possible, work for someone, if you can't do that, find a mentor.
-- Invest in knowledge before purchasing thousands in equipment.
-- Save a ton of money, then save more...
-- It's a creative business, learn the principles of layout and design.
-- Once you buy your equipment, start saving for the equipment your going to eventually have to replace.
-- If you are self taught, hire someone who is really good in the business and learn from them.
-- Get a website done...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
-- Vacation? What's a vacation?

A vacation is me watching my family at the beach from the hotel room on the computer taking calls, ordering material, designing, cussing and blaming slow hotel internet for me missing family time... getting back down to the beach only for my phone to go off again and I go back to the room.

WildWestDesigns

A vacation is me watching my family at the beach from the hotel room on the computer taking calls, ordering material, designing, cussing and blaming slow hotel internet for me missing family time... getting back down to the beach only for my phone to go off again and I go back to the room.

I've been there many a time. Go on "vacation", only to be digitizing patterns on a tablet and sending it off while everyone else is having fun. I've actually had to stay in the vehicle to digitize and get a pattern out while the ole ball and chain went out to enjoy the trip.

Now, I will say this, I remember my dad having to do the same thing on our family vacations (and he didn't have his own company, he worked for somebody), but that's how our vacations were paid for. I reckon I just continued on with that fine tradition.

However, despite that and the other cons that could come with being in business for yourself, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it isn't easy at times.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've been there many a time. Go on "vacation", only to be digitizing patterns on a tablet and sending it off while everyone else is having fun. I've actually had to stay in the vehicle to digitize and get a pattern out while the ole ball and chain went out to enjoy the trip.

Now, I will say this, I remember my dad having to do the same thing on our family vacations (and he didn't have his own company, he worked for somebody), but that's how our vacations were paid for. I reckon I just continued on with that fine tradition.

However, despite that and the other cons that could come with being in business for yourself, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it isn't easy at times.

Ha! Yea, actually like it too knowing that I still have $$ flowing in while the vacation sucks it all up. If I'm not working I'm not comfortable in my own skin.

bannertime

Since I took over our family store a few years ago, I haven't been out of the office for more than three days. That's weekends and the rare Monday holiday. Not having a vacation or decent break is really starting to catch up with me. Growing up, our vacations were basically work trips across the country. Take a week or two, which included a day or two of work. Now we contract most the out of state jobs, so I haven't had a vacation since I got home from the Army. Heck, I haven't taken a lunch break but maybe three times this year.

I hate being the boss because if I lose a customer then I lose money. Outside of that, I can't imagine working in another industry, or even working for someone else. If I don't get a chance to go back into law enforcement, then I'll probably sell this store and start fresh.

Perks: Free prank/joke signs, watching people get amazed by a plotter, and saying no to "those" customers.

sardocs

I agree with all the mentioned perks like the naps, the snacks, being my own boss, etc, but for me the biggest perk is having my music studio/jam space on the same floor as my workshop. Clients notice the gear thru the glass partition and quite often we end up jamming a few tunes in the middle of the day.

ams

#1. Can come in whenever I please.
#2. Can leave whenever I want.
#3. Can choose who I work with.

Negative part is the back end, aka Paperwork/Taxes/Workers Comp

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
1. As an owner working 36 hours or more at a stretch makes your 10 to 12 hour days seem easy.
2. As an owner you get the inside scoop on every bit of drama that keeps an employee from showing up for work. (Boss can't come in today cat shot the neighbors dog and the police are here).
3. When there is an issue you get a first hand account of what a client really thinks of your business.

Not sure there are any real negatives.

wayne k
guam usa

Split76

16 years, about 230hours/month, 1 week vacation/year, 2 employees, 2 kids, understanding wife.
4/5 year old kids, they know dad is not at home when they wake up at weekends. I work 06-12 (at the weekends) so we can still do something as a family.
I can't imagine about working for someone else ever again. Sky is the limit :)